Author Topic: Would you sign Jamaal Tinsley?  (Read 2467 times)

Would you sign Jamaal Tinsley?
« on: June 23, 2008, 07:07:56 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
After reading the thread about signing Artest and being surprised on how so many believe in the redemptive qualities of a team with chemistry, discipline and good leaders - or fall in love with pure talent too much -, I'm interested in your opinions about another famous NBA "cancer".

Word is that if Bird manages to get Ford, the Pacers organization will try to buy out Tinsley contract - as part of the "cultural change" they're trying to establish in Indianapolis. Considering his history, I believe he'll be available for a small salary - maybe even the LLE.

Tinsley is unequivocally talented (though his game has some gnawing flaws),  but a terrible head-case and injury prone. His game style probably doesn't fit our scheme, but he can be played along smaller SGs like House/Pruitt. Assuming we could sign him without hurting our chances of resigning Posey and with his agreement to be a backup for Rondo, would you give him a try?

(I wouldn't).

Re: Would you sign Jamaal Tinsley?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 07:19:06 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
I don't think Tinsley and Pierce get along. Everybody remembers the 2005 playoffs when they got into it and earlier this season they got into it, again. I think I'd rather have Eddie House anyways.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 07:19:12 PM »

Offline celticsfan34

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 32
Sure let's just sign every player in the league that PP has had a confrontation with on the court.

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 07:20:07 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I would absolutely sign Tinsley for short money.  Why not?  So would about a dozen other teams.

Pierce and Tinsley could bury the hatchet in about 5 minutes.

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 07:21:26 PM »

Offline bleedingreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Hinrich sucks, Deng sucks, Bulls suck, I'm out.
I don't think we could afford the flop fines.

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 07:22:14 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
For short money, and on the cheap? Sure, why not.

No way in hell I trade for him under his current contract, though. Or even for half of it. Way too injury prone.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 07:23:31 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
for the vet min, you bet. ship sam out and replace him with tins.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 07:24:01 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
  Is he going to be happy playing 10 minutes a game behind Rondo?

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 07:35:30 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Exactly.  I find that very doubtful.

Tinsley doesn't strike me as the type of guy who would be happy playing a lesser role on a championship team for small money.  I've just never come away with the idea that a title is a priority for him.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 04:04:44 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
After reading the thread about signing Artest and being surprised on how so many believe in the redemptive qualities of a team with chemistry, discipline and good leaders - or fall in love with pure talent too much -, I'm interested in your opinions about another famous NBA "cancer".
I've never considered Tinsley a team cancer so the whole thing is a non-issue to me.

Tinsley was playing close to an All-Star level this season before he got injured. All those claims for Calderon, Tinsley was performing better than the Calderon. Tinsley is a very good defender, one of the most gifted floor generals in the league, a beautiful passer and playmaker and also a great penetrator. One flaw in his game is that he's a low percentage shooter.

The only reason I wouldn't sign him is his injury history which is nothing short of catastrophic.

Tinsley shouldn't be happy to play 10 minutes a game behind Rondo and I'd be very unhappy with him if he was.

If in a few years he's still incapable of staying fit then he should consider becoming a backup. Right now he's too good and still has too much time on his side to give up.