Author Topic: Was KG's Postgame Interview Scripted  (Read 6794 times)

Re: Was KG's Postgame Interview Scripted
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 12:55:52 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
The "on top of the world" bit was obviously scripted, too.  Word is that KG will be starring in a remake of the James Cagney classic "White Heat".

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OjzKiEs_pHI

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 05:58:09 PM »

Offline Dvd716

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
What's he saying.....   " my momma peanut?"

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 06:22:52 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
What's he saying.....   " my momma peanut?"

Here's a translation of what KG said.

0:00: Greeted by Tafoya, Garnett first appears to be gripped by emotions familiar to any sports fan who's watched a championship celebration: happiness and disbelief. He presses his brand-new championship hat to his head with both hands, seemingly afraid it might come loose.

0:07: "NBA Champion—how does that sound?" Tafoya asks. Garnett is at a loss for words. After a long pause and more futzing with his new hat, he says, in a strangely even tone, "Man, I'm so, I'm so hype right now."

0:20: Garnett tells Tafoya that "anything's possible." He then leans back and howls at the moon: "ANYTHING'S POOOOOOSSIIIIIBLLLLLLE!" He holds the note for four seconds.

0:27: At this point the catharsis gets the better of Garnett, and he begins crying. These are not the poignant tears of joy shed by Michael Jordan upon winning his first Larry O'Brien Trophy. Garnett is in the throes of something closer to a child's tantrum, mumbling indecipherable words. Approximate translation: "Oh my buh buh, fa fa fa fa fa." He then buries his head in the shoulder of an unidentified Celtics staffer, who proceeds to say, "Yeah, baby!" repeatedly. ABC's producers pull away for a moment, cutting to a long shot of the arena.

0:53: We're back on Garnett. "I'm sorry, Michele," he says, apologizing to Tafoya for having lost it there for a moment. "It's all right," she reassures him. The moment of composure is fleeting.

0:57: "This is for everybody in 'Sota!" he bellows, a classy shout-out to the fans who supported Garnett for the first 12 years of his career. Such is the reservoir of good feeling that Garnett has built up in Boston that no fan will begrudge the Twin Cities getting top-billing in Garnett's list of thank-yous. If Ray Allen had dedicated the Celtics win to the hardworking people of Seattle or Milwaukee, one wonders if it would have gone over quite as well.

0:58: Garnett thanks the city of Chicago, where he attended Farragut Career Academy.

1:06: Garnett thanks Peanut. As ABC noted in its pregame show, Garnett is very fond of peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwiches, but this Peanut would seem to be a person. When Tafoya caught up with Garnett after Boston defeated the Pistons in the Eastern Conference Finals, he closed out the exchange by saying, "What up, Brand? What up, Peanut?" Brand would seem to be Brandi, Garnett's wife. Might that make Peanut their newborn?[/b]

1:14: Garnett screams into the camera, "I made it ma! Top of the world! TOP OF THE WORLD!" That's exactly what James Cagney's maniacal, cackling gangster character says at the end of White Heat as he dies in a fiery explosion atop a gigantic gas tank. This explains a lot about KG's self-image.

1:20: Tafoya, who must be complimented on her poise throughout this exchange, parlays Garnett's screaming into a question: "What does 'top of the world' feel like, Kevin?" The query seems to momentarily ground Garnett, who again flirts with the normal rules of postgame interviewing, offering up some choice platitudes: "Ray Allen had a great game" and "I'm so happy right now—I'm not going to sleep for a week." Of course, since this is Kevin Garnett, the latter statement might not be hyperbole—he's previously claimed not to have slept for four or five nights during the Pistons series.

1:37: "I'm certified! I'm certified!" Garnett bellows. This may be the first time you could mistake a newly minted NBA champion for a raving lunatic on the subway.

1:40: In a more benign re-enactment of Joe Namath's propositioning of Suzy Kolber, Garnett says, "Michele, you look good tonight, girl." Over the course of the playoffs, the two have developed an easy rapport. After Game 1 of the Pistons series, he told Tafoya, "You look good in your pink, girl."

1:50: Tafoya asks Garnett what it means to win his championship in Celtic green. "It's a lot of responsibility that comes with putting this great jersey on," he says, paraphrasing that legendary Celtic, Spider-Man.

2:10: A parting word to the haters: "What are you going to say now? What can you say now?" Also, another parting word for the Cagney fans: "Made it, Ma!"

The interview concludes, but the camera stays with Garnett as he turns to find Bill Russell waiting to greet him with a benevolent grin and a bear hug. In a conversation earlier this year, the 11-time champion told Boston's new star that he would give him one of his hard-earned rings if the team failed to take it home this year. KG almost cried. Now, even the stiffest upper lip in Boston has to be quivering as Garnett and his forebear embrace. "I got one of my own," says Garnett. "I got my own." He steps back, looks at Russell, and says "I hope we made you proud."

A less weird individual might have left it at that, but Garnett has one more line for his mentor: "Now you got to tell me where to go tonight." Russell last won a championship for Boston in 1969. Unless the Celtics always celebrate their championships at the Warren Tavern (est. 1780), the old man's advice isn't going to be that useful. But this is at once a great statement of Garnett's respect for Celtic tradition and of how dedicated he's been to returning the franchise to its former glory—the man doesn't even know a good local bar for celebrating. Have a couple on us tonight, KG. You deserve it.

When KG said "Oh my buh buh, fa fa fa fa fa"  I thought he was saying..."I want my mommy" LOL

http://www.slate.com/id/2193863/
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 06:44:11 PM by Bankshot »
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 12:52:23 AM »

Offline Dvd716

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
Thanks..... that was fantastic....

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 01:02:23 AM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings
It's going to be awesome when KG destroys all the haters teams again next season.

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 01:06:14 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Jeez, Celtics/KG-haters ... will the "grasping at straws" for things to bash never stop?!? Guess what? There's nothing you can do or say that will take this Championship away from us, and nothing on this earth that will keep us from being the greatest sports town and the best fans in the world. Eat your hearts out!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 01:16:44 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
The whole thing was a charade.  None of the Celtics or their fans were actually in the least bit happy.

from what I hear all of Game 6 was scripted, the people in the Garden all pretended to pay hundreds of dollars to be there, but were actually just extras for an Adidas commercial.  Also the real KG died 3 years ago and this is a replacement KG, you wouldn't know the difference. (Lassie reference)
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2008, 03:22:43 AM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
Guys you know we've made it when we're getting flack for getting injured, celebrating too "early", and emotional post game interviews.

It's good to be hated.

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2008, 07:02:42 AM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
Ok Kevin, I know you've got a big game to prepare for, but just see if you can remember this for us after you guys win the game.  Repeat after me:

"I'm so hype right now...Anything is possible.  ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!!!"

Ok, good, Kevin, now take it to the bridge...

"EARGH BA BLA <bleep> MIN TERAGH <bleep> <bleep> O LA WHAAA!!"

Ok, that was good, Kevin,but it's actually 4 MF-bombs, so try to get it right, we've got a lot of money riding on this performance.  Ok, next come the shoutouts, make sure to give love to your old city so we can expand your market share.  Then just improv a little, maybe yell something about your mamma and someone named "Peanut" or something quirky like that.  Have fun with it! 

Lastly, go ahead and do the "Top of the world Ma!  Top of the world!"  We  want you to be relatable to senior citizens who remember that Jimmy Cagney movie from 50 years ago...old people buy a LOT of $200 sneakers.

Also, make sure throughout to keep the crocodile tears flowing, and oh yeah, wear your hat at a weird angle so people think you might actually be nuts.  Now go get em tiger, you've got a title to win.

exactly. haters have brought this to a new ridiculous extreme.

Become Legendary.