Losing Game 4 in Atlanta
Losing Game 6 in Atlanta
Getting smoked in Cleveland
Losing 6 straight road playoff games
Cassell shooting 1-for-whatever it was
Ray Allen's playoff slump
New Jersey preseason half game in Worcester
Missing opportunity to clinch Game 5 in LA

Author Topic: Worst of the Year  (Read 3025 times)

Worst of the Year
« on: June 22, 2008, 10:57:54 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I'm generally Mr. Positive here, but I've been so flooded with Happy Thoughts I thought it might be a nice exercise to recall some of the very few moments this season that really pained me.

I threw up some ideas.  There were just a few that really bothered me. 

Picking one, I'd say Game 4 in Atlanta.  I gave the C's a "mulligan" in Game 3, but really had fully expected them to win that one.  I never felt they'd lose that series, but I sure felt they could have made it easier on themselves if they could have just clamped down for a few more minutes.  By the time Game 6 rolled around the Hawks had it in their heads they could win at home.

#2 on my list would be the loss to Charlotte at home.  That one just bugged me.  The Celts never got over the hump against a team they clearly should have beaten.  For whatever reason Charlotte gave them a couple of good games.  In terms of having a team take it to the C's at the Garden that game falls second only to the thrashing the Jazz gave the C's all season and playoffs. 

Anyhow, not too shabby!

« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 11:12:09 PM by Redz »
Yup

Re: Worst of the Year
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 11:04:27 PM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 163
hey redz, i would say the troubles winning on the road in the playoffs. losing two straight to WSH bugged me too, buy most teams, even really good teams, have a team against whom whey struggle for some reason. for us, it was wash and charlotte.

but a #1 seed should not struggle like that, and it really bugged me that we did that. but it is all good now, no worries, your pessimistic thread not withstanding!  ;D
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 11:04:49 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I have no recollection of any of those things happening.  It's all happy thoughts from here.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 11:05:32 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
I think it's a tie between the game 4 loss in Atlanta and the game 6 loss in Atlanta. I felt confident that the Celtics were going to win going into game 4 & 6. We had a big lead in each game and blew it. Losses to Washington was bad, too. The only regular season losses that bothered me.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 11:07:02 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
hey redz, i would say the troubles winning on the road in the playoffs. losing two straight to WSH bugged me too, buy most teams, even really good teams, have a team against whom whey struggle for some reason. for us, it was wash and charlotte.

but a #1 seed should not struggle like that, and it really bugged me that we did that. but it is all good now, no worries, your pessimistic thread not withstanding!  ;D
Yeh, I guess that was more of a cumulative thing so I looked for one particularly frustrating night.
Yup

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 11:10:23 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
I have no recollection of any of those things happening.  It's all happy thoughts from here.

How `bout those 18 straight losses though, huh?   

While I'm jarring up bad memories during this joyous time let's go there.

Or the time I caught myself in my zipper - definitely the worst of the year :o

Yup

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 11:20:24 PM »

Offline mjohnson

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10
I chose game5 because it was the great game of Paul Pierce. It was also his best game to clinch the finals worthy of being handed the MVP.

Winning game 5 will also make it sweeter for all who doesn't favor Celtics.

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 11:34:14 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Has to be the Game 6 loss against the Hawks.  That was the longest series of my life.  I didn't enjoy anything that went on those two weeks.  This loss just extended the absurd purgatory another game.  Thank God Game 7 was an absolute joke, or I might not have made it to see number 17.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 11:36:00 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
I have no bad thoughts from this year.  The Championship has wiped them all away. 

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 11:45:04 PM »

Offline help D

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
The Laker loss.
As beautiful as the home celebration was, seeing Paul be MVP in LA?
That one hurt me the most. Maybe if they had won that one the haters would button it. I heard kornheiser predict that toronto or orlando will prevent us from even winning the east.
next year should be even sweeter  8)

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 01:33:57 AM »

Offline Jaycelt

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 7
Listening to all the nervous nelly's jumping off the Celtics bandwagon because we lost playoff games on the road, like anyone ever said playoff games were going to be easy.
Pretty shamefull.

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 01:40:37 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Red not being here to see this Championship season, the death of Doc's father, and Ray's son getting diabetes.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *