Author Topic: a link to raise the blood pressure of Celts fans everywhere  (Read 23072 times)

Re: a link to raise the blood pressure of Celts fans everywhere
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2008, 10:09:13 PM »

Offline bbc3341

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
Just awful.

I love when he said that the looked on paper not to be a good defensive team. 

I guess stats, opponents saying so, experts saying so and his own eyes isn't enough.

Great call on opponents, remember Wade saying it was the toughest defense he's ever faced during the Stuart Scott stuff on ABC during Game 6?
Now, on to 18...

« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2008, 10:14:34 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Just awful.

I guess stats, opponents saying so, experts saying so and his own eyes isn't enough.

Great call on opponents, remember Wade saying it was the toughest defense he's ever faced during the Stuart Scott stuff on ABC during Game 6?

Lebron also recently said it was one of the best defenses he had seen.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2008, 10:20:30 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
"The Pistons are the only above average defensive team because that's a team that makes its living on defense."

Well, let's see here...according to the "obsolete" stats, they were fourth in defensive efficiency.

The three teams better -- Boston, Houston, San Antonio -- had offensive efficiency ranks of 9, 12 and 17.

The Pistons were 7th in OE.

In a past life, I might have made a useful conclusion here.
Instead, I'll use the only one that can truly have any merit, no matter what the naysayers say: The Pistons powerhouse offense is the only reason they look even semi-decent on D.

Anybody that wants to follow this post with a  ???, you're officially on the clock.

Too bad Bleacher Report doesn't have our range of emoticons.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2008, 10:54:29 PM »

Offline murphman

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1
Not fit to be printed on toilet paper.

« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2008, 11:45:53 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Just awful.

Lebron also recently said it was one of the best defenses he had seen.

McGrady said it too when we broke their winning streak.

Debunking Max Fischer
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2008, 12:22:47 AM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
So what was Max Fischer really saying?

And where is his factual evidence?

Did he bother to watch the games?

Even if he did, did he bother to review the box score of those games.

What is his basis for saying a good offense is the best defense?

He gets an F for that very weak essay.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2008, 07:53:49 AM »

Offline sns0274

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
My newest comment to the idiot known as Max.

LeBron James "That is the best defense I have ever seen" After game 7 against the C's
 Tracy McGrady "That is the best defense I have ever seen" After Celtics snapped 22 game win streak
 Dwayne Wade "That is the best defense I have ever seen" During the finals

Sorry Max but, for some reason, I would tend to take their sight over yours. Seeing that still, even after 60-70 other people have backed these statements up with their sight and statistics. Maybe you should stop defending this essay that has no backing. Every time you are cornered with facts, you change the question, or even better, you just can't answer. You have no evidence statistical or otherwise (other than your obvious biased sight) wake up and smell what you are shoveling and stop trying (notice I say trying) to lower the IQ of the people reading this said "essay". Do you think maybe, just maybe, that the saying "Defense wins championships" just might be entrenched in place for a reason?
Guns don't kill people, stupid people with guns kill people

« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2008, 09:21:41 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
sns please keep us updated with the answers

Thanks..

Edgar
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2008, 09:35:23 AM »

Offline ram

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
He's right. The Celtics were just lucky that most of the time the other teams couldn't make many shots. Having the lowest FG% against over 82 games and 26 more playoff games is mostly about luck and not great defense.

Holding the Lakers, a team that averaged 108 PPG through the first 3 rounds of the playoffs to 33 2nd half points in Game 4 was pretty lucky. The LA boys just couldn't get a shot to fall.

They were also extremely lucky to set the NBA Finals record for steals in a game because the ball just bounced their way.

« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2008, 09:59:48 AM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
Also a quick FYI: The reason I posted this in the first place was because what bothers me most about it was the fact that I only came across it because someone cited it to me as a legitimate source explaining why the Celts' D wasn't that good.  It's dangerous to have the power to publish if there's it's going to lead to the misinforming of your audience...

see the bottom of the comments section here for details: http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/06/boston-point-of-view-defense-puts-paul-p.html
That's truly frustrating to me -- especially since it might be the most antagonistically inaccurate non-Jemele piece of Celtics-related content I've read this year.
Ah, well -- like I said above, our boys are the champs.  No one else is.  If this is what comes with the territory, bring it on.
-sw

Dear NBA teams:  please do not worry about Celtics' defense.  it's a mirage.  repeat:  PLEASE do not worry about Celtics' defense . . . everything will be fine . . . do not worry about . . .

« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2008, 10:08:34 AM »

Offline sns0274

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
My newest comment to the idiot known as Max.

LeBron James "That is the best defense I have ever seen" After game 7 against the C's
 Tracy McGrady "That is the best defense I have ever seen" After Celtics snapped 22 game win streak
 Dwayne Wade "That is the best defense I have ever seen" During the finals

Sorry Max but, for some reason, I would tend to take their sight over yours. Seeing that still, even after 60-70 other people have backed these statements up with their sight and statistics. Maybe you should stop defending this essay that has no backing. Every time you are cornered with facts, you change the question, or even better, you just can't answer. You have no evidence statistical or otherwise (other than your obvious biased sight) wake up and smell what you are shoveling and stop trying (notice I say trying) to lower the IQ of the people reading this said "essay". Do you think maybe, just maybe, that the saying "Defense wins championships" just might be entrenched in place for a reason?

The reply"

"Micahel Jordan drafted Kwame Brown...

It always amazes me how some people who are great at something have no idea why they are even good or any understanding of their field.

Mark Jackson played against Michael Jordan and he said Kobe was better than Jordan. Didn't he also say pIerce was better than Bird offensively too?

These guys are just as clueless as the fans. Some even more so. Mark cuban knows less about building a team than anyone on this thread.. and he is essentially the Mavs GM.."

My reply to this obvious fraud

So what you are telling me is, I should take what the players that are playing against this "average defense" carries less weight than your opinion

Max
Thanks for pointing out the obvious, you are an idiot, that has no clue about the game and an obvious over blown opinion of yourself. Again, not only did you change the circumstance, you avoid all questions and have nothing to back your opinion up, no stats, no evidence and worst of all...NO CLUE!!

Guns don't kill people, stupid people with guns kill people

« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2008, 10:40:46 AM »

Offline DinoRadjaLives

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
Prime reason why Euthanasia should be legal. Hey sometimes writers can't get people to read thier stuff and have to write something far fetched to get reactions. The guy made himself look like an idiot but we all reacted.
"The Boston Celtics are not a basketball team, they are a way of life" - Red Auerbach

« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2008, 10:41:45 AM »

Offline GLS

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 26
Max is a genius.  Just a little misunderstood.  I'm sure when he watches a telecast where the announcers mention something that is in direct contrast to his incredible Einstein-ian thoughts, he merely thinks at how stupid and inane their thought processes are.

I've never read someone that is as brilliant as Max in his basketball analysis.

I think ESPN needs to fire all of their writers, and hire Max.

« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2008, 11:05:17 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
Wow wdleehi, just saw your latest response to him.  Well put, sir.

How infinitesimal are the chances of him responding to you?

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2008, 11:06:04 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
To be honest, I am enjoying this.  It is usually so hard to find someone this wrong to debate that doesn't start writing in all caps, going to name calling, throwing in dirty language and trying to become the internet tough guy.  

No, what we have here is a truely clueless NBA fan who is trying to think of way that his Mavs are better then they are.  'If the Celtics can have a good defense with three offensive players, the Mavs only need to add offensive players.'