Author Topic: Why Stern got Booed during post-game in Boston  (Read 9537 times)

Re: Why Stern got Booed during post-game in Boston
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2008, 03:27:50 PM »

Offline NicaraguanFan

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 28
Because some Boston fans believe the guy hates us, and this is really an old thing. I think When R Lewis died we were not allowed to take his salary off the cap.  And my understanding is Stern and Red "The Great" Auerhach were not best friends.

NF.
#18 is coming...

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2008, 04:02:23 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Without ever having been to Boston
(I'll go someday, accomodations anyone?)
I'll say that Boston is a "bluecollar" city.
David Stern is the epitome of the complete
opposite. Get the picture?

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2008, 04:53:32 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I'm not from Boston. But I don't know anyone who likes the guy. I'd have  booed him if he was in Charlotte too.
The NBA needs a new GM.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2008, 05:04:31 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I can understand David Stern getting Booed but why was Boston fans to enfatic?

My Theories:

1) The Tim Donahey scandal: This after all is the most embarrassing moment for he NBA and it's Sterns face is on the cover of it.

2) SeattIe to OKC: I would like to think Boston fans are empathetic.

3) Game-time 9 PM: Okay, its understandable for some games to be on this late but I have to get up at 6 AM! Throw me a bone here, no Friday or Saturday and no early start Sunday. Boston fans were tired and grumpy

Agree/Disagree do you have anything you'd like to add?

http://newsok.com/article/3260306/

I am not empathetic at all toward Seattle, and the conspiracy related in the above story is reprehensible and civilly actionable, in my opinion.

That city deserves to lose that franchise, and it's going to lose that franchise.

As opposed to the owner who had no intention of make a good faith effort to keep the franchise in Seattle. If you just look at half the facts it can be incriminating.

The only reason they tried a poison well was because the new owner tried to weasel his way out of town. 

and why would a city deserve to lose it's team based on the actions of a a few anyway?

David stern has thumbed his nose at the fans of Seattle. It's obvious his only allegiance is to the owners.

The man bought the team. This is still America, and he's still free to take his business wherever he determines. He made an effort to build an arena, was rebuffed and then met with a conspiracy.

The city will lose the club, and they deserve to lose the club. The Seattle sympathy amuses me. Businesses don't belong to any community. They belong to the people paying the bills.

Seattle is getting exactly what it deserves.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2008, 05:45:59 PM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
The officiating was awful these playoffs. You couple that with the Tim Donahey scandal and now Tim's claims of NBA higher-ups meddiling with how the Ref's officiate certain games, you got your reason for the Stern Booing. It would have happened in any arena had another team won this year.

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2008, 05:47:30 PM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9

My Theories:

1) The Tim Donahey scandal: This after all is the most embarrassing moment for he NBA and it's Sterns face is on the cover of it.

3) Game-time 9 PM: Okay, its understandable for some games to be on this late but I have to get up at 6 AM! Throw me a bone here, no Friday or Saturday and no early start Sunday. Boston fans were tired and grumpy

http://newsok.com/article/3260306/

I am not empathetic at all toward Seattle, and the conspiracy related in the above story is reprehensible and civilly actionable, in my opinion.

That city deserves to lose that franchise, and it's going to lose that franchise.

As opposed to the owner who had no intention of make a good faith effort to keep the franchise in Seattle. If you just look at half the facts it can be incriminating.

The only reason they tried a poison well was because the new owner tried to weasel his way out of town. 

and why would a city deserve to lose it's team based on the actions of a a few anyway?

David stern has thumbed his nose at the fans of Seattle. It's obvious his only allegiance is to the owners.

The man bought the team. This is still America, and he's still free to take his business wherever he determines. He made an effort to build an arena, was rebuffed and then met with a conspiracy.

The city will lose the club, and they deserve to lose the club. The Seattle sympathy amuses me. Businesses don't belong to any community. They belong to the people paying the bills.

Seattle is getting exactly what it deserves.

He isn't exactly free to do what he wants.  There is the matter of the Arena lease. Clay Bennett agreed to honor the lease when he bought the team and now wants out.

Seattle may agree to a deal like Cleveland got from the NFL.  Where they were able get another team to replace the team leaving. 

Plus it has been leaked through emails and such that they had no intention of staying. The original sale agreement had language that he needed to make a good faith effort to keep the team in Seattle. The original owner, Schultz has talked about a lawsuit. 

How is Seattle's efforts, that never came to fruition, any more reprehensible than Bennett's? If Gaston had sold the the C's to Bennett would you be blaming the City of Boston if he tried to move the C's?

Funny thing is David Stern isn't testifying.

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2008, 06:04:46 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
We booed Stern for a lot of reasons. 

We still remember how the NBA didn't allow the Cs to remove Reggie Lewis' contract off their books for salary cap reasons after the Celtics captain past away tragically.  This hamstrung the Celtics for a long time.

I'd put the Reggie Lewis contract issue at #1 for why Celtic fans don't like Stern.

plus, Stern laid the 2-3-2 Finals format at Red's feet this year - not wanting to accept responsibility for a screwed-up format and also laying it off after Red was gone and couldn't respond. maybe Red did respond with some good vibes for game 6).

plus, Larry Bird's accusation during '84 finals that Stern was pushing for 7 games.

plus ............ didn't the league & Stern also screw the Celtics in some way when Bias died ??
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2008, 02:32:03 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Stern didn't get booed. I was at the game, and the announcer made a mistake by saying they were going to present the MVP Award next, so the crowd began chanting "Truth", and it sounded like booes, (but it wasn't).
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2008, 03:36:59 AM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible
Stern didn't get booed. I was at the game, and the announcer made a mistake by saying they were going to present the MVP Award next, so the crowd began chanting "Truth", and it sounded like booes, (but it wasn't).

I'm not sure if I believe that. And if it is true, every arena chants "Truth" when Stern steps on their floor. ;D
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2008, 03:52:44 AM »

Offline bandonox

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17
Stern is a smug, arrogant, prick....
He smiled through his teeth handing over that trophy.... cuz he knows celtics fans have been through hell the last 20 years, in no small part, due to him.. and we see through his elitist, new york lawyer affrontery....
It really is a shame that he doesn't think that having the most loyal fan base in the country on his side would be benefitial.... truth is, he doesn't NEED ANYONE on his side because he's untouchable. All you guys that thought the crowd was chanting "truth" bought it, hook, line and sinker... the crowd was boooooooing...it was a premeditated save on stern's part... he's no fool... he KNEW he was gonna get booed....that's why he said "truth" out loud... he wanted the sheep to think that's what was said...
furbush.tumblr.com

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2008, 05:33:18 AM »

Offline Last Train

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8

I don't understand why you keep perpetuating this lie. You can hear it clearly on the tv and you can hear it clearly at the 2:55 mark of this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaHqafoNXmo&eurl

Maybe you didn't boo him, but most people certainly did.

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2008, 12:45:02 PM »

Offline marchione65

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0

My Theories:

I agree with the first two but not the third.  With all due respect, you have to suck it up for your team. I get up at 4am and loved every minute of it.

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2008, 01:23:05 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I was at the game.

We clearly booed Stern when they went to him for the championship trophy presentation.  No doubt.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2008, 01:27:38 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
the celtics have been screwed over for the championship for 22 years, ever since bird, and i blame it all on stern. it was obviously a boo. for those of you that thought it was truuth... well you must've heard other people booing, thought they were saying truth and said truth at the game. the crowd were booing. you can hear a distinct b sound.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2008, 06:57:28 PM »

Offline TruthSerum

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10
Definitely would have booed him too, if only for his inscrutable comments about the 9:00 EST starting time. He is out of touch, to say the least.