Author Topic: Does Durant + Horford Actually Make Us Contenders?  (Read 5865 times)

Does Durant + Horford Actually Make Us Contenders?
« on: June 25, 2016, 10:42:38 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2959
  • On To Banner 18!
Obviously they would make us a lot better than what we have right now, and probably gets us 55-60 wins next season.

But I still feel that would not be a legitimate contender and there would still be a missing piece. And after signing both to max-contracts we won't have any more $$$ to sign anyone else significant (even just a bench scorer or rotation player). I don't know, that's just what I feel.

Also is Horford really that good? I would rather get Whiteside instead of Horford. I understand Horford is on Durant's list of players he wants to play with, but not sure if Horford+Durant make us instant contenders. What do you guys think?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Does Durant + Horford Actually Make Us Contenders?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 10:45:14 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
On paper at least I think we would have significantly more talent than the Cavs.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 10:46:45 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
On paper at least I think we would have significantly more talent than the Cavs.

See that's where I'm at. Also Horford seemed like a complete non-factor in that Cavaliers-Hawks series (except for maybe Game 3 but the Hawks lost that game as well).

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 10:47:50 AM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
I don't believe in Horford.

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 10:49:19 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
yes, Kevin Durant himself makes us contenders, I'm meh on Horford but if that guarantees Durant to come here you sign him

Horford himself is already an upgrade over Sullinger or Amir

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 10:53:52 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Durant + X + Y + Z + Mombodungoans makes us contenders.

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 10:55:35 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Yes, they absolutely make us contenders.  It's silly to suggest otherwise.  Durant alone makes us a contender. And Horford is really that good.  Whiteside is better at the things Whiteside does best, which is blocking shots and crashing the boards.  But Whiteside does not play team basketball, and that's a problem.  He is prone to getting out of position on defense, trying to go for blocks.  He is a complete black hole on offense -- 36 career assist in almost 3400 career minutes.  That's an assist once every 3 games for him playing starter minutes.  Players don't like playing with selfish players.

That's not to say he isn't talented.  He is.  But Horford is the better overall player and the better teammate, and he should absolutely be the choice before Whiteside, with or without Durant.

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 10:58:02 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Just Durant makes this team a contender assuming Danny shores up the roster - i.e. a solid 5 and maybe another shooter/rotation player.

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 11:00:46 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
yes, Kevin Durant himself makes us contenders, I'm meh on Horford but if that guarantees Durant to come here you sign him

Horford himself is already an upgrade over Sullinger or Amir

It might be a bidding war for Horford. Atlanta will likely make a max-offer for Horford as well. That's why they traded Teague and made moves.

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2016, 11:01:22 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Just Durant makes this team a contender assuming Danny shores up the roster - i.e. a solid 5 and maybe another shooter/rotation player.

Would have liked Joakim Noah as a stop-gap option on an Amir-like deal... Then it's reported the Wiz might offer him a max contract lol  :o

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2016, 11:02:48 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Yes, they absolutely make us contenders.  It's silly to suggest otherwise.  Durant alone makes us a contender. And Horford is really that good.  Whiteside is better at the things Whiteside does best, which is blocking shots and crashing the boards.  But Whiteside does not play team basketball, and that's a problem.  He is prone to getting out of position on defense, trying to go for blocks.  He is a complete black hole on offense -- 36 career assist in almost 3400 career minutes.  That's an assist once every 3 games for him playing starter minutes.  Players don't like playing with selfish players.

That's not to say he isn't talented.  He is.  But Horford is the better overall player and the better teammate, and he should absolutely be the choice before Whiteside, with or without Durant.

Good assessment. TP. Either Horford or Whiteside improve us a ton but you are right about Whiteside. He can grow though and maybe with Stevens become even better (which is a scary thought). Horford as a stretch 4 though could be lethal.

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2016, 11:09:37 AM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75

Tough statement my friend.. because of age, the ONLY reason you should choose Hortford over Whiteside is because you know 100% you are getting Durant..  Al is as good as he is going to be and If you watched him against the top teams, Cle, GS, OKC (the ones you have to get past to hoist the Trophy) He has not been very effective.
Whiteside is not the better player at all - but he is slightly younger and you hope that the "out of position" issues he has can be corrected.  He does have an Elite talent which Hortford does not..

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2016, 11:13:12 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Horford is a better player than any current Celtics.  A lot of advanced metrics have him pegged as a top 20 player this past season, with a value similar to Damian Lil!ard.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2016, 11:19:04 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Horford is a better player than any current Celtics.  A lot of advanced metrics have him pegged as a top 20 player this past season, with a value similar to Damian Lil!ard.
I just have a tough time overlooking that he sucked in the playoffs this season.

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2016, 11:33:28 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Durant + anyone in the east is a contender

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14