Author Topic: Lakers (5-5) at Celtics (9-2) Game #12 11/8/17  (Read 61830 times)

Re: Lakers (5-5) at Celtics (9-2) Game #12 11/8/17
« Reply #690 on: November 08, 2017, 10:56:16 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
Clarkson is a much better player than Ball. The Lakers blew the game by taking him out down the stretch.
Supposedly he can't play defense but he had twice as many steals as Smart despite 8 less minutes.  And he had the same number of rebounds (so far) despite all of Smart's intensity

Pretty sure Kyrie leads the league in steals so far. By this logic, he's then clearly the best defender in the league.  ::)

Only a fool would make the implication that Clarkson is a better defender than Smart.
Let's say Clarkson is playing Smart one on one to 100. Clarkson shoots 51% and Smart shoots 31%. Quick. Who played better defense?

Clarkson shoots significantly better from 3 point land than Smart shoots overall. He's that much better.

One guy doesn't drag his team down. The other does.

Lol you sound senile bro.

Smart isn't letting Clarkson shoot 51% on him in one on one, and Smart is going to take him to the post and shoot 60%.

Quit hating on Smart, I mean come on.
I don't get it. I'm supposed to tune into a game, see the young pup Lakers giving us a game on our own court, see Smart is 1 for 8 (surprise surprise) and I'm supposed to be like "hey this is great! Let's give him a huge extension! Oh his intense defense! It's so apparent!"

I mean...wow

Who's telling you to praise his shooting?
We're being told to look past his shooting.  We shouldn't do that. It would be a little like ignoring that a QB throws for 44% or that a WR drops every 3rd pass.

Except for the little fact quarterbacks don't play defense, and Smart is an excellent passer, pick and roll handler, and all around creator. He even is subjectively a great shooter in the clutch.

I also apologize for the 'senile' comment. That wasn't appropriate.

Just don't get how anyone watches that game and feels Clarkson played better than Marcus.
There are other people that can pass well and play defense. And for less money and without shooting us almost out of a game, thereby requiring 4th quarter heroics.

He isn't Jason Kidd or something that does everything at an elite level, thereby making up for his really poor offense.

Not even worth discussing with you.

You have, quite clearly, an obvious dislike of Marcus, even though he has been an integral piece of this team, and Brass defense, since he has been here.

You can think Clarkson is better, but I hope you know just how ludicrous that is, and just how wrong you are about Marcus.

« Reply #691 on: November 08, 2017, 10:56:39 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Tatum reportedly is in a walking boot, and getting imaging tests tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/Marc_DAmico/status/928466336828837895
cripes. not the news i wanted to hear, but thanks for posting it. sigh.  :-[

Should be noted that it's considered precautionary for now. Seems like X-rays came back fine tonight, and he's scheduled for MRI tomorrow.
my guess is CBS sits him for the friday game. what starting line up that will be...
kyrie
baynes
brown
smart
morris

and the bench will have to step up big big big time. but they can do it!!!!
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #692 on: November 08, 2017, 10:57:55 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Tatum reportedly is in a walking boot, and getting imaging tests tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/Marc_DAmico/status/928466336828837895
cripes. not the news i wanted to hear, but thanks for posting it. sigh.  :-[

Should be noted that it's considered precautionary for now. Seems like X-rays came back fine tonight, and he's scheduled for MRI tomorrow.
my guess is CBS sits him for the friday game. what starting line up that will be...
kyrie
baynes
brown
smart
morris

and the bench will have to step up big big big time. but they can do it!!!!

Maybe will be getting some Bird and The Bear!

« Reply #693 on: November 08, 2017, 10:59:35 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Clarkson is a much better player than Ball. The Lakers blew the game by taking him out down the stretch.
Supposedly he can't play defense but he had twice as many steals as Smart despite 8 less minutes.  And he had the same number of rebounds (so far) despite all of Smart's intensity

Pretty sure Kyrie leads the league in steals so far. By this logic, he's then clearly the best defender in the league.  ::)

Only a fool would make the implication that Clarkson is a better defender than Smart.
Let's say Clarkson is playing Smart one on one to 100. Clarkson shoots 51% and Smart shoots 31%. Quick. Who played better defense?

Clarkson shoots significantly better from 3 point land than Smart shoots overall. He's that much better.

Smart isn't letting Clarkson shoot 51% on him in one on one, and Smart is going to take him to the post and shoot 60%.

I don't get it. I'm supposed to tune into a game, see the young pup Lakers giving us a game on our own court, see Smart is 1 for 8 (surprise surprise) and I'm supposed to be like "hey this is great! Let's give him a huge extension! Oh his intense defense! It's so apparent!"

I mean...wow

Who's telling you to praise his shooting?
We're being told to look past his shooting.  We shouldn't do that. It would be a little like ignoring that a QB throws for 44% or that a WR drops every 3rd pass.

Except for the little fact quarterbacks don't play defense, and Smart is an excellent passer, pick and roll handler, and all around creator. He even is subjectively a great shooter in the clutch.

I also apologize for the 'senile' comment. That wasn't appropriate.

Just don't get how anyone watches that game and feels Clarkson played better than Marcus.
There are other people that can pass well and play defense. And for less money and without shooting us almost out of a game, thereby requiring 4th quarter heroics.

He isn't Jason Kidd or something that does everything at an elite level, thereby making up for his really poor offense.

Not even worth discussing with you.

You have, quite clearly, an obvious dislike of Marcus, even though he has been an integral piece of this team, and Brass defense, since he has been here.

You can think Clarkson is better, but I hope you know just how ludicrous that is, and just how wrong you are about Marcus.
For your defense to be valuable you have to be able to hold the other player to less offensive output than yourself essentially. Marcus can't do that. Sometimes he does great stuff. But Rozier can play defense too.

« Reply #694 on: November 08, 2017, 11:01:56 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Mark Jackson would love to coach the Lakers . And there are a more than few Laker fans wish he was their coach.  Jackson buttering up Lakers for a shot some day

« Reply #695 on: November 08, 2017, 11:02:55 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Mark Jackson would love to coach the Lakers . And there are a more than few Laker fans wish he was their coach.  Jackson buttering up Lakers for a shot some day

Walton sucks as a coach. Mark Jackson can't be much worse.

« Reply #696 on: November 08, 2017, 11:03:47 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

I mean...wow

Maybe if you watched the game you'd know what the **** you're talking about. After all, if you're tuning in that late in the contest you really don't have a clue, do you?
Well yeah, but then I'd have to also forget all the many many many other games where Smart dragged down the offense. I mean he couldn't win a game of horse against Mr. Ed.

Mr Ed would be like "Wiiiilllbbuuurr. I'm playing a game of horse against Marcus Smart. And I'm winning. He's gonna owe me a pizza Willlbbuurr."

The whole offense wasn't pretty tonight.  JB was stinking it up, showing poor handling and ugly shooting. Baynes was the high scorer for pete's sake.

Smart/Tony Allen (post-injury) comps make sense though. As a PG, Smart is a much better passer, but I wouldn't say he's above average for position. Makes an impact on defense without a doubt, though such a luxury requires a certain type of roster to work.  For comps' sake, Tony Allen was a MLE contract guy coming off winning a championship. Smart is a keeper at that price. Not sure I go much over that.

« Reply #697 on: November 08, 2017, 11:08:36 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

I mean...wow

Maybe if you watched the game you'd know what the **** you're talking about. After all, if you're tuning in that late in the contest you really don't have a clue, do you?
Well yeah, but then I'd have to also forget all the many many many other games where Smart dragged down the offense. I mean he couldn't win a game of horse against Mr. Ed.

Mr Ed would be like "Wiiiilllbbuuurr. I'm playing a game of horse against Marcus Smart. And I'm winning. He's gonna owe me a pizza Willlbbuurr."

The whole offense wasn't pretty tonight.  JB was stinking it up, showing poor handling and ugly shooting. Baynes was the high scorer for pete's sake.

Smart/Tony Allen (post-injury) comps make sense though. As a PG, Smart is a much better passer, but I wouldn't say he's above average for position. Makes an impact on defense without a doubt, though such a luxury requires a certain type of roster to work.  For comps' sake, Tony Allen was a MLE contract guy coming off winning a championship. Smart is a keeper at that price. Not sure I go much over that.
Kind of agree Smart should have worked on his extension before the start of the regular season. His shooting is worse than last year. He is an MLE level player at best.

« Reply #698 on: November 08, 2017, 11:11:15 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

I mean...wow

Exactly. Just like KO. KO didn't reach an extension agreement either, right? Just like Smart. There's a reason.  KO not doing so great this year right?

Smart HAS to play great defense. It's the only reason he's in the league. When you know well over two thirds of the shots you are going to take won't go in and you know the guy you're defending shoots about 48% and 40% threes then you HAVE to play GREAT defense if you want to play at all.

Lucky for Smart Rozier isn't great at offense yet either. However, not so lucky for Smart is that Rozier is a good defender.

« Reply #699 on: November 08, 2017, 11:17:48 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
Yeah, I'm sure Brad has always spoken so highly of Smart, and played him in the most important minutes the last four years, is just because he was drafted at 6.

Nothing to do with his talent, hustle, smarts, or ability to make the right play.

He clearly has been one of Brads favorite players.

Give him 18 a year and I am happy.

« Reply #700 on: November 08, 2017, 11:20:22 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Yeah, I'm sure Brad has always spoken so highly of Smart, and played him in the most important minutes the last four years, is just because he was drafted at 6.

Nothing to do with his talent, hustle, smarts, or ability to make the right play.

He clearly has been one of Brads favorite players.

Give him 18 a year and I am happy.
If Brad loved him so much why didn't they extend him?

Brad may very well like him, but he knows Jaylen is a max guy. Tatum is a max guy. We have 3 very expensive players in addition to them. We're about to draft high again, and that guy could easily be a max guy.

« Reply #701 on: November 08, 2017, 11:20:49 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Woof.  Looks like we're still in search of a lead scorer.  It's always nice to see the vets stepping up on nights like this, though - Baynes, Morris.  Hopefully as Jaylen and Tatum progress, we won't need someone to score 20+ in like 40 consecutive games.  Gotta score the ball to contend with the elite. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #702 on: November 08, 2017, 11:32:47 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
Woof.  Looks like we're still in search of a lead scorer.  It's always nice to see the vets stepping up on nights like this, though - Baynes, Morris.  Hopefully as Jaylen and Tatum progress, we won't need someone to score 20+ in like 40 consecutive games.  Gotta score the ball to contend with the elite.

lulz

Yeah, it's too bad we dont have one of the most unguardable players in the league, who is an incredible creator, and handles the ball better than almost anyone else.

Oh well,

I guess without a lead scorer we are pretty much sunk.

This season was fun while it lasted.

« Reply #703 on: November 08, 2017, 11:38:22 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

lulz

Yeah, it's too bad we dont have one of the most unguardable players in the league, who is an incredible creator, and handles the ball better than almost anyone else.

Oh well,

Do we have an elite scorer?  Serious question.  Some guys have really been going off this year.  I think just within this past week:

Lillard: 36, 13, and 5.
Harden: 56, 13, 2. 
LeBron had his 57, 11, 7, 3, 2
Seems like Giannis drops 40 every other game
Beal has already gone for 40

What's most impressive about these guys is not just their ability to put up a ridiculous amount of points, but impact the game in so many other ways.  Truly remarkable players. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #704 on: November 08, 2017, 11:41:28 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

lulz

Oh well,

Do we have an elite scorer?  Serious question.  Some guys have really been going off this year.  I think just within this past week:

Lillard: 36, 13, and 5.
Harden: 56, 13, 2. 
LeBron had his 57, 11, 7, 3, 2
Seems like Giannis drops 40 every other game
Beal has already gone for 40

What's most impressive about these guys is not just their ability to put up a ridiculous amount of points, but impact the game in so many other ways.  Truly remarkable players.

And we have more wins than all of those teams. 

Our guy is playing within a system for the first time in his career.

Impressive though, finding something about this team to complain about right now!