Author Topic: ESPN culls its broadcasting team; Doris and Doc to join Breen on top team  (Read 4009 times)

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1415
Some of the big names let go:

- Jeff van Gundy - NBA announcer
- Jalen Rose - NBA analyst
- Max Kellerman - studio host
- Keyshawn Johnson - NFL analyst
- Suze Kolber - NFL host
- Neil Everett - Sportscenter anchor
- Ashley Brewer - Sportscenter anchor
- Rob Ninkovich - NFL analyst

ESPN issued the following statement about the layoffs:

“Given the current environment, ESPN has determined it necessary to identify some additional cost savings in the area of public-facing commentator salaries, and that process has begun,” ESPN said in a statement. “This exercise will include a small group of job cuts in the short-term and an ongoing focus on managing costs when we negotiate individual contract renewals in the months ahead. This is an extremely challenging process, involving individuals who have had tremendous impact on our company. These difficult decisions, based more on overall efficiency than merit, will help us meet our financial targets and ensure future growth.

https://deadline.com/2023/06/espn-layoffs-list-talent-fired-1235428485/

No Doris Burke isn't part of the layoffs...in fact she might be promoted to replace van Gundy and join Breen and Jackson  :police:

ESPN is expected to replace Van Gundy on its No. 1 team.

Internally, JJ Redick, Doris Burke and Richard Jefferson are the most likely candidates.

https://nypost.com/2023/06/30/jeff-van-gundy-let-go-amid-espns-big-name-layoffs/?utm_source=twitter&sr_share=twitter&utm_campaign=nypost_sports&utm_medium=social
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 10:30:10 PM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Re: ESPN culls its broadcasting team
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2023, 09:31:28 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
It's a bit boring to see them lean in to favouring clickbaiters like Perk over others, but it's predictable. I'll miss JVG ranting about random things.

I guess this means JJ Redick had no coaching bites
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2023, 10:27:07 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Van Gundy added a lot of humor and light heartedness to Breen and Jackson, who for the most are pretty boring and robotic.

It’ll be interesting to see who they add.  Those are three pretty stale personalities mentioned there, I can’t imagine that’ll blow anyone’s hair back as your featured broadcast team
Greg

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2023, 01:50:34 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2517
Van Gundy added a lot of humor and light heartedness to Breen and Jackson, who for the most are pretty boring and robotic.

It’ll be interesting to see who they add.  Those are three pretty stale personalities mentioned there, I can’t imagine that’ll blow anyone’s hair back as your featured broadcast team

THERE.... GOES...... THAT...... MAN

🤮

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2023, 07:18:05 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 433
Glad they kept Hubie Brown..really enjoy listening to him..plus he’s 90!!!!
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett

Doris has been promoted to the top announcing team to replace Mark Jackson and will call games with Mike Breen. Doc Rivers will also join them, replacing Jeff van Gundy.

ESPN confirmed a worst-kept secret Monday, officially announcing that Doc Rivers and Doris Burke will join Mike Breen on its top NBA broadcasting team in the upcoming season.

Breen is the lone holdover from ESPN’s (and ABC’s) top team last season. Jeff Van Gundy was laid off at the end of June, while Mark Jackson departed at the end of July. Breen, Van Gundy, and Jackson had been the No. 1 team since 2014.

Rivers has coached for 24 seasons in the NBA, winning the 2007-08 championship with the Celtics. He spent the previous three years with the 76ers before he was fired in May. Rivers was an analyst for ABC during the 2003-04 NBA season.

Burke, who was previously the analyst on ESPN’s No. 2 team alongside play-by-play voice Mark Jones, will become the first woman to serve as a color analyst on the NBA Finals on television. The former Providence College star has called the Finals on ESPN Radio for the past four years, and spent nine years as a television sideline reporter during the championship series.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/08/14/sports/espn-officially-names-doc-rivers-doris-burke-its-no-1-nba-broadcast-team/

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1397

Doris has been promoted to the top announcing team to replace Mark Jackson and will call games with Mike Breen. Doc Rivers will also join them, replacing Jeff van Gundy.

ESPN confirmed a worst-kept secret Monday, officially announcing that Doc Rivers and Doris Burke will join Mike Breen on its top NBA broadcasting team in the upcoming season.

Breen is the lone holdover from ESPN’s (and ABC’s) top team last season. Jeff Van Gundy was laid off at the end of June, while Mark Jackson departed at the end of July. Breen, Van Gundy, and Jackson had been the No. 1 team since 2014.

Rivers has coached for 24 seasons in the NBA, winning the 2007-08 championship with the Celtics. He spent the previous three years with the 76ers before he was fired in May. Rivers was an analyst for ABC during the 2003-04 NBA season.

Burke, who was previously the analyst on ESPN’s No. 2 team alongside play-by-play voice Mark Jones, will become the first woman to serve as a color analyst on the NBA Finals on television. The former Providence College star has called the Finals on ESPN Radio for the past four years, and spent nine years as a television sideline reporter during the championship series.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/08/14/sports/espn-officially-names-doc-rivers-doris-burke-its-no-1-nba-broadcast-team/

This sounds like a bad lead team. I feel like Doris Burke has gotten a bit more annoying as she has gotten older and has these catch phrases like “two on the pipes” and I don’t even know what they mean (does anyone know what that means?)

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2434
This sounds like a bad lead team. I feel like Doris Burke has gotten a bit more annoying as she has gotten older and has these catch phrases like “two on the pipes” and I don’t even know what they mean (does anyone know what that means?)

I tried googling it cause I do not have a clue either.

I found this:

Trivia question, who said "Twice on the pipes," and what does it mean?

That was a lyric from the song Knock Three Times by Tony Orlando and Dawn. In the song it refers to a rejection by a woman. The expression was adopted by Doris Burke and, quite frankly, whenever she uses it I don’t have a clue what she means.

Yes from Tony Orlando and Dawn. Knock Three Times

"Knock three times on the ceiling if you want me
Twice on the pipe if the answer is no"

So when the ball is rejected (blocked shot), the answer is no (twice on the pipe). (think Mutombo)

Oh, huh. Okay. So a rejection / blocked shot / defensive stop. Something like that.

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1397

I found this:

That was a lyric from the song Knock Three Times by Tony Orlando and Dawn. In the song it refers to a rejection by a woman. The expression was adopted by Doris Burke and, quite frankly, whenever she uses it I don’t have a clue what she means.

So when the ball is rejected (blocked shot), the answer is no (twice on the pipe). (think Mutombo)

Oh, huh. Okay. So a rejection / blocked shot / defensive stop. Something like that.

Tp who. I think this is the definition of trying too hard

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 326
Burke is awful, as bad as Jackson.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I'm the only one who like Perk's schtick.  Keep it coming!  I mean it's not all schtick...he has plenty of solid stuff too, as in real opinions with real emotion behind them. 

I'll miss JVG and his willingness to call out bad calls, etc..  It's actually very important (and imo should be important from a marketing perspective as well) to be honest with viewers about bad calls during a game.  The dumbed down thing doesn't work for me..and I think a lot of fans feel the same way.  I'm not saying dwell on bad officiating.  But be brave enough to call at as you see it in the moment. Use the word "terrible" if need be.. don't hedge.  The game has a history that deserves respect, and whitewashing poor calls for the purpose of "the product" has no place in it.

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett

I found this:

If people have to google it to figure it out it's definitely trying too hard  :angel:

Online Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
  • International Superstar

I found this:

If people have to google it to figure it out it's definitely trying too hard  :angel:
Possibly, but I think some of this boils down to whether or not people are naturally curious to learn about things they're not previously aware of.

-------

I'll miss JVG, but on balance Doc/Doris/Breen is probably an upgrade over the prior crew - Doc was a really decent colour commentator and I can't imagine a decade-plus coaching at the highest level will have dulled the level of his insight.

What doesn't add up to me is the finances. Both ESPN and Disney are tightening up their belts, but Disney's TV wing (which includes ESPN) saw an increase of 13% in operating profit from 2021 to 2022... And I can't imagine Jalen Rose's salary is going to be the decider when it comes to negotiating a new deal with the NBA.

Obviously, the maths are such that people will watch the games regardless of the on-air talent, but that's always been true, and I have to imagine the worldwide leader in sports has enough engagement metrics to understand and promote talent without penny-pinching. But maybe not (bolded emphasis mine):
“Given the current environment, ESPN has determined it necessary to identify some additional cost savings in the area of public-facing commentator salaries, and that process has begun,” ESPN said in a statement. “This exercise will include a small group of job cuts in the short-term and an ongoing focus on managing costs when we negotiate individual contract renewals in the months ahead. This is an extremely challenging process, involving individuals who have had tremendous impact on our company. These difficult decisions, based more on overall efficiency than merit, will help us meet our financial targets and ensure future growth.
https://deadline.com/2023/07/espn-layoffs-list-talent-fired-1235428485/
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Burke knows the game, but she is nigh unwatchable,   trying to over explain everything.   This was ok understandable at first. as she was breaking into a male dominated field and trying to overcompensate.

Now I am convinced she is the reason God created the mute button.

It is just me or do others dread ESPN broadcasted games?

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1646
  • What a Pub Should Be
Burke knows the game, but she is nigh unwatchable,   trying to over explain everything.   This was ok understandable at first. as she was breaking into a male dominated field and trying to overcompensate.

Now I am convinced she is the reason God created the mute button.

It is just me or do others dread ESPN broadcasted games?

TNT is the much superior NBA broadcaster.

I really hope NBC yanks back the rights from ESPN/ABC in the next TV contract.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team