Author Topic: Some thoughts on last night  (Read 1973 times)

Some thoughts on last night
« on: June 26, 2009, 10:08:06 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I was chatting in the Celticsblog chat room during most of the draft last night so I really didn't get to collect all my thoughts on last night's proceedings until right now, so here goes:

• Is it just me or did it appear David Stern was having a party in his pants at the beginning of the show when he congratulated the Lakers on being the World Champions? I wonder if he was that happy on his honeymoon? This man just can nopt hide his bias towards his love for all things Lakers.
  • I love the way the announcers discuss the players in a politically correct way. For those without their national announcers to real talk translation guides here are a few:

Ball dominant - Ball hog who will only pass to you if someone is guarding him on that 25 foot jumper. Otherwise, crash the boards for a rebound.

Tremendous upside - has never done anything to this point but someday might, though most likely won't

Needs to improve - sucks at

Not athletic - white

Long - dude has gorilla arms

NBA ready - will never get any better but can play some now

First round potential - got drafted in the second round
  • My favorite line of the night was Dick Vitale saying that playing Rubio and Flyn together was a coach killer. Dickie V is a tool and usually knows squat about the pro game but boy, he hit that one on the head.
  • Not for nothing, but the NFL draft is just so much better if only because ESPN has Chris Berman and not Stuart Scott doing most of the talking. It's bad enough I have to listen to the guy now that his act is about 5 years too old and worn on me, but then every time I look up I have to see him with his crooked glasses and weird eye thing going on. Can an intern or someone at the studio tell this guy his glasses are always freaking on crooked for God's sake. He looks foolish.
  • Is it just me but does Rodrique Beaubois sound more like some fancy sauce you put on asparagus and not a basketball player?
  • Okay, was anyone else standing up cheering when the Warriors snagged Stephen Curry and every Knick fan in the place started getting sick and wondering why they spent all that money on those tickets just to watch the Knicks end up with future Mikki Moore stiff, Jordan Hill?
  • If the C's hadn't included their #1 pick in the KG trade, I know but just saying, they could have had Wayne Ellington who I think will be a complete and utter steal at 28. He reminds me of Ray Allen so much.
  • Had to love the chuttspah on Brandon Jennings who at first refused to go to the Draft but then when he saw he was a top 10 pick, jumped in the shower, shaved, threw on a suit and took a cab over to the Draft just so his family could see him on TV.LOL. "Well earl Clark didn't show up but guess who did....it's Brandon Jennings!!"
  • I really hope the C's keep their pick next year. This was without a doubt the most boring draft to watch for me in a long, long, long time!!!!!!!!

Re: Some thoughts on last night
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 10:11:01 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
overall a boring night....rondo stays put (which i think we all are happy about) and now the real games begin

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 10:27:51 AM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
TP for a pretty humerous take. Stu Scott is the black version of Mike Breen. I'd rather listen to Celine Dion than those two bumbling turds.

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 10:42:20 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I just DVR'ed the draft and fastforwarded through the talking heads to see who got picked.  Watched the first 3 hours in 40 minutes then had to crawl throught the last half hour.  Very shocked Danny didn't buy a pick.  hanging on to see the C's pick was just a matter of reaching the point of morbid curiosity since whoever it was would be a real stretch to make the team.

The only talking head that typically has anything interesting to say is Bilas since he's not particularly biased for any player.  Mark Jackson's knowledge of teams around the league doesn't seem particularly astute--nothing more than some casual observer that only picks up on columnist speculation and spews that back out as some sort of genious insight. 

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 10:43:02 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
very similar to Bill Simmons diary
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16