Author Topic: IT asked danny to come back?  (Read 4115 times)

Re: IT asked danny to come back?
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2018, 09:14:56 PM »

Online Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
If Irving opts out, I'd be fine rolling it back with an IT/Rozier tandem at the 1 - assuming IT is back to something close to his old self by then.

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2018, 11:07:27 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Reading that whole article Thomas just doesn't get it and he can't stop putting his foot in his mouth.

It seemed like he gets it now, what was so bad in the article? He probably missed his only opportunity in his career to get that crazy pay check. From 100+ million guaranteed to 2, wouldn't you be upset?

IMO, he sounds bitter and not humbled by all of this in the least. Teams are concerned about his hip, but even if his hip got a 100% stamp of approval from every team DR in the league, no one is giving him anything resembling the $150 million contract he obviously still feels entitled to.

Having that attitude in our locker room would have been poisonous. Plus, for all his talents as a scorer, he's one of the worst defenders in the league.

I wish him well and hope his hip is 100%, but I'm not shedding crocodile tears for him. Yes, he missed on his big payday, but he's already made $30 million and will likely make a lot more in the coming years. What would be tear-worthy is if the Celtics or some other team guaranteed this guy $150 million.

I'd also be a bit more sympathetic to him if not for his repeated "brinks truck" comments. Even now, he admits his mind was not on winning and basketball....it was on $$$.

This sounds like he is moving forward but still frustrated he missed on the money. Is that terrible?
"Nothing that I did in the past can be used to get [a new contract]. Everybody else can, but me? I can't. That's been my story. It's never been, 'Oh, let's pay him off what he's done.' That's just what it is. That's the reality. I can't control that. But I can control taking advantage of an opportunity and showing that I can still play at a high level."

The thing is he’s so wrong about that. Is DeMarcus Cousins getting paid off what he’s done in the past while he’s also coming off an injury?  I like IT but that’s some sanctimonious bullhockey right there.

Cousins is making 4.5 million this year and nobody knows if he will ever be the same player. He is actually currently injured and won't play till at least January. So getting 4.5 million for playing maybe a third of the season. That's definitely pay for past production. Fairly confused by this example
. You think $4.5MM vs $2.2MM is getting “paid” for past production?  I’m fairly confused by that.

Thomas is also currently injured. And Cousins starting to play come January is not 1/3 of the season by any stretch. That’s more like 2/3rds. It’s also speculation. While he shouldn’t rush it he was hoping to be ready by training camp. He probably should wait until the AS break.

Similarly Thomas’ surgery does not have a good track record for full recovery. That was debated ad nauseum on this board last year.  So it’s not like he’ll be 100% in November. His situation is far more similar to Cousins than you’re willing to admit.

And again the $2.3MM difference in salaries is negligible when compared to what both of these guys could have been making if they didn’t get injured ($20-$28MM per year). Cousins is in exactly the same boat as Thomas.

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2018, 11:17:33 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
My one hope is that IT is fully healthy.

Because if he is, I have no doubt he will shine.

I hope so too

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2018, 12:44:25 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Reading that whole article Thomas just doesn't get it and he can't stop putting his foot in his mouth.

It seemed like he gets it now, what was so bad in the article? He probably missed his only opportunity in his career to get that crazy pay check. From 100+ million guaranteed to 2, wouldn't you be upset?

IMO, he sounds bitter and not humbled by all of this in the least. Teams are concerned about his hip, but even if his hip got a 100% stamp of approval from every team DR in the league, no one is giving him anything resembling the $150 million contract he obviously still feels entitled to.

Having that attitude in our locker room would have been poisonous. Plus, for all his talents as a scorer, he's one of the worst defenders in the league.

I wish him well and hope his hip is 100%, but I'm not shedding crocodile tears for him. Yes, he missed on his big payday, but he's already made $30 million and will likely make a lot more in the coming years. What would be tear-worthy is if the Celtics or some other team guaranteed this guy $150 million.

I'd also be a bit more sympathetic to him if not for his repeated "brinks truck" comments. Even now, he admits his mind was not on winning and basketball....it was on $$$.

This sounds like he is moving forward but still frustrated he missed on the money. Is that terrible?
"Nothing that I did in the past can be used to get [a new contract]. Everybody else can, but me? I can't. That's been my story. It's never been, 'Oh, let's pay him off what he's done.' That's just what it is. That's the reality. I can't control that. But I can control taking advantage of an opportunity and showing that I can still play at a high level."

The thing is he’s so wrong about that. Is DeMarcus Cousins getting paid off what he’s done in the past while he’s also coming off an injury?  I like IT but that’s some sanctimonious bullhockey right there.

Cousins is making 4.5 million this year and nobody knows if he will ever be the same player. He is actually currently injured and won't play till at least January. So getting 4.5 million for playing maybe a third of the season. That's definitely pay for past production. Fairly confused by this example
. You think $4.5MM vs $2.2MM is getting “paid” for past production?  I’m fairly confused by that.

Thomas is also currently injured. And Cousins starting to play come January is not 1/3 of the season by any stretch. That’s more like 2/3rds. It’s also speculation. While he shouldn’t rush it he was hoping to be ready by training camp. He probably should wait until the AS break.

Similarly Thomas’ surgery does not have a good track record for full recovery. That was debated ad nauseum on this board last year.  So it’s not like he’ll be 100% in November. His situation is far more similar to Cousins than you’re willing to admit.

And again the $2.3MM difference in salaries is negligible when compared to what both of these guys could have been making if they didn’t get injured ($20-$28MM per year). Cousins is in exactly the same boat as Thomas.

From what I understand thomas is not currently injured, at least to the point that he will miss the opener. Maybe there has been a more favorable update since I last looked into it, but had read cousins would miss at least 35-40 games and then likely be on a minutes restriction after that because this injury is unprecedented for a player his size. Of the two cousins definitely got paid more based on past production and a belief he could buck the odds because of it

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2018, 03:31:01 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
IT is his own worst enemy.  Had he taken the role of sixth man off the bench, he woulda been here.

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2018, 08:18:16 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

"You can always play the what-if game, but man, I've been F'd over so many times. But, of course, I think about it. I'm human,"

So he is blaming everyone else and says he has been F'd over so many times.  that doesn't sound like someone that gets it.  That doesn't sound like someone that has learned or grown from his past.  That sounds like someone that is incredibly bitter about what has happened to him.

Same thing with this whole sequence

"If I didn't play in the playoffs, I'd be OK," Thomas says. "I'd be getting paid. I'd be who I am -- who I was. But you couldn't tell me in that moment in time -- with everything I was going through -- that, OK, I should just sit out. I don't think Boston went about it the right way as well.  But at the same time, it was hard for me to sit out. I just lost my sister, one of the closest people in my life. Basketball was the only thing that was going to help me out. I played until I literally couldn't play anymore. And that was not a good business decision if I was looking in the long term, but I was looking in the 'right now.' That's just what it was.  They probably would've traded me anyway. But I would've been in position to show my worth, and last year I was never in position to show my worth."

He just sounds bitter and apparently hasn't learned that his mouth is his biggest problem.

Here he seems to be in a fantasy land not based in reality.

"I understand it, but I don't accept it," Thomas says. "So many other people get injured and get chance after chance again. They get the big break. They get the big money -- no matter if they're injured. There's a lot of people out there who've gotten serious injuries and gotten paid still. In my circumstance, it was bad timing. You've never seen a little guy like me get paid big dollars. Never seen it in the NBA. People know that I've earned and deserved the max contract, and that's the only reason why I didn't get paid what I deserved. Because I got injured. I get that. The biggest thing for me was to get to the best opportunity for me this summer and show that I'm healthy."

I am pretty sure everyone, including you, realizes his hip is his biggest problem.
well sure, but his mouth is what has gotten him traded out of every situation he has ever been in and why Sacramento and LA didn't even want him back.  IT just can't stop talking and putting his tiny foot deeply within his mouth.  Malone even made mention of Denver being a quiet lockerroom so they can handle IT (aside from just being able to cut him if he mouths off too much).  IT is a cancer to a franchise because of that gigantic chip he carries on his shoulder which he just has to tell everyone about at every opportunity.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2018, 09:49:29 AM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81

From what I understand thomas is not currently injured, at least to the point that he will miss the opener. Maybe there has been a more favorable update since I last looked into it, but had read cousins would miss at least 35-40 games and then likely be on a minutes restriction after that because this injury is unprecedented for a player his size. Of the two cousins definitely got paid more based on past production and a belief he could buck the odds because of it

There is major debate as to whether Thomas will ever rebound into form. While he might be available earlier in the season than Cousins both are looked at as damaged goods at the moment.

While Cousins is getting paid $2.3MM more I would categorize both of their contracts as being in the same range. That’s not Cousins getting paid on past performance. If IT were making $4.5MM he’d still be complaining.

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2018, 09:49:55 AM »

Offline Mike Pemulis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
I have his injury. It was not logical to skip the surgery. That meant he was counting on his hip to correct itself. Turns out 9 days into his season (or whatever) he wasn't above doctor's orders. He was above letting his agent negotiate for him in a professional setting and it effected his earnings. His hubris is stupid but his situation is tragic. If he doesn't ball in Denver we're looking at China or Dancing With The Stars.
Allston, MA --> Enfield Tennis Academy

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2018, 10:28:43 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
The narrative is that playing through his injury cost him a major deal. It is more likely that it wasn't going to work out regardless of what he did.

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2018, 10:50:06 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
If IT stopped talking about how he needs and deserves max money then it might be in the realm of possibility... Until then, I pass on him and let him do his thing elsewhere.

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2018, 11:02:50 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I have his injury. It was not logical to skip the surgery. That meant he was counting on his hip to correct itself. Turns out 9 days into his season (or whatever) he wasn't above doctor's orders. He was above letting his agent negotiate for him in a professional setting and it effected his earnings. His hubris is stupid but his situation is tragic. If he doesn't ball in Denver we're looking at China or Dancing With The Stars.

Sorry to hear that you have his injury.  From all the research I've read, though, athletes don't always benefit from the surgery, effectiveness often depends on severity, and it's common for recovery to take several years at the pro-level.  At 30 y/o and heavily reliant on athleticism, allowing it to heal on its own was probably the ideal option and clearly within the scope of possibility if doctors believed the same.   Unless, of course, the Celtics trainers and/or brass were biased in their interpretation, which is consistent with his saying the organization could've handled it better.

Regarding his hubris and stupidity, that's unfair.  You can argue whether his intentions were self-serving (e.g., paycheck), but regardless, he sacrificed his own well-being for the organization at several times during the season.  Moreover, he indicates in this interview that his decision to play was affected by his sister's passing - basketball served as a coping mechanism, clearly a distraction from the pain.  Minimizing that, cracking on IT, and not appreciating the fact that he 1) made us relevant during gap years, and 2) was the most entertaining show since Broadway on Ice is tough.  Shame on you, Mr. Pemulis.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 11:44:02 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2018, 11:20:03 AM »

Offline Mike Pemulis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
Tarheel, thanks for the info. I had to give up hockey. My doctor seriously advised against rehab without surgery to heal it. I had to have microfracture which meant it was severe, hopefully IT's wasn't that bad... 2.5 years after surgery I finally felt good enough to play pickup but couldn't sustain it for a men's league. My idea for him would be to have surgery after the Minnesota game, recover as well as humanly possible, return and show the league he's still worth a big contract.

I meant not to belittle or crack on IT. I truly empathize with the the guy due to the injury and having lost a younger sibling myself. Basketball aside he's someone I think of on tough days. I mean it. Although I wasn't clear enough, Mr Pemulis shall accept said shame.
Allston, MA --> Enfield Tennis Academy

« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2018, 11:48:37 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Tarheel, thanks for the info. I had to give up hockey. My doctor seriously advised against rehab without surgery to heal it. I had to have microfracture which meant it was severe, hopefully IT's wasn't that bad... 2.5 years after surgery I finally felt good enough to play pickup but couldn't sustain it for a men's league. My idea for him would be to have surgery after the Minnesota game, recover as well as humanly possible, return and show the league he's still worth a big contract.

I meant not to belittle or crack on IT. I truly empathize with the the guy due to the injury and having lost a younger sibling myself. Basketball aside he's someone I think of on tough days. I mean it. Although I wasn't clear enough, Mr Pemulis shall accept said shame.

Yeah, I'm sorry to hear - that sounds like a brutal experience. Interesting that it was a hockey injury because the vast majority of studies I read involved hockey players.  You must be especially vulnerable to it.  It is admittedly hard to parse whether he should've had the surgery sooner or not - I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt since I'm such a big fan.

Just kidding with the shame gif, but I hope I can continue to call you Mr. Pemulis.  Instant street/forum credit afaik.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 11:53:45 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC