Poll

Does Taco make the team

Yes. Taco time is here to stay.
92 (61.7%)
No. No room for Tacos
57 (38.3%)

Total Members Voted: 149

Author Topic: Poll: Does Tacko make the 15 man roster this year  (Read 62343 times)

Re: Poll: Does Tacko make the 15 man roster this year
« Reply #375 on: September 22, 2019, 05:51:46 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
This talk of Tacko Fall's FT% reminds me of Ben Wallace.  Wallace shot nearly 50% for his career but he was a historically bad shooter.  His career FT% was 41%.

This is why Tacko's 75% FG% doesn't mean much other than he demonstrates good shot selection.  Fall's college FT% was 43%.

If Tacko Fall does make it in the NBA, it is not going to be about his FG% any more than it was for Ben Wallace.

Wilt Chamberlain's career free throw percentage was 51.1. He made 6,057 in 11,862 attempts.

Shaq: 52.7%

Bill Russell:  56.1%
all of which are clearly superior to Tacko's free throw shooting. next, we are truly entering silly-world if we making any meaningful parallel between the greatest centers in history to a guy who played in 115 games total in college and average 23 minutes in those games.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #376 on: September 22, 2019, 07:03:04 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
This talk of Tacko Fall's FT% reminds me of Ben Wallace.  Wallace shot nearly 50% for his career but he was a historically bad shooter.  His career FT% was 41%.

This is why Tacko's 75% FG% doesn't mean much other than he demonstrates good shot selection.  Fall's college FT% was 43%.

If Tacko Fall does make it in the NBA, it is not going to be about his FG% any more than it was for Ben Wallace.

Wilt Chamberlain's career free throw percentage was 51.1. He made 6,057 in 11,862 attempts.

It's fine to point out his weaknesses. Let's can a spade a spade though. When he does decide to shoot, it's going in almost three quarters of the time.

I very much doubt hes going to to be able to keep those percentages in the NBA. Even Yao Ming whos a far superior player didnt shoot that high, and NBA defenses were able to gameplan to limit what he does.

« Reply #377 on: September 22, 2019, 08:32:37 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52

It's fine to point out his weaknesses. Let's can a spade a spade though. When he does decide to shoot, it's going in almost three quarters of the time.

I very much doubt hes going to to be able to keep those percentages in the NBA. Even Yao Ming whos a far superior player didnt shoot that high, and NBA defenses were able to gameplan to limit what he does.
It seems silly to even be having this conversation. The issue before us is whether or not we think Tacko will even be on the roster. It is certainly possible that he will, but even if he does I don't see any way he gets regular mpg. I actually tend to think that he will spend most of his time in Maine, either on a two way contract or with a roster spot but not on the active list. He is a project and very far from being able to play in the NBA.

« Reply #378 on: September 22, 2019, 09:03:06 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

I don't understand this at all.  What do Shaq, Chamberlain, and Russell have to do with Tacko Fall?  So because they all are bad at FTs, there is some equivalency? 

I don't get it.

« Reply #379 on: September 22, 2019, 09:10:34 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Again, he doesn't shoot it at 75%. He dunks it at 75%. Of his 206 shots last year, 3 were outside of 3 ft. THREE!! He dunked almost all of the stuff he scored on.

Well, he is very bright and knows his limitations and his strengths.   He is trying to be a three point bomber because he knows where his bread is buttered.
Or.....

Because he isn't able to do anything offensively other than dunk and lay the ball in, the coaches made him an offensive garbage man who only was allowed to shoot within 3 feet of the basket.

Red Auerbach's  expression in basketball still holds true  - "you can't teach height."

During Summer League, how successful were opponents at stopping Tacko from scoring when he got the ball close to the basket? If you were 6'9" or less the odds were pretty much 0%. If one were taller the odds go up, but not by much.

What's distinguishes Tacko from other big men is they often get their shots blocked if they try to score within 3 feet.
Tacko can either wait out his opponent's block attempt or simply go straight to the hoop. Defenders most often can't react quickly enough to block his dunks.

Read a statistic years ago that showed, big men shooting in close to the basket, get their shots blocked far more frequently than other shooters.

Tacko's ability to score in close defies those statistics.

Add to that, not only is it difficult stopping him from scoring, it's also hard to stop him from getting the ball. Moving three hundreds pounds isn't easy even if he can't bench press as much as some people in this group feel he should.     

Ya, he reminds me of Wilt Chamberlain.
Far out
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #380 on: September 23, 2019, 09:59:23 AM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Take away love and the earth is a tomb. ~ Browning

I don't understand this at all.  What do Shaq, Chamberlain, and Russell have to do with Tacko Fall?  So because they all are bad at FTs, there is some equivalency? 

I don't get it.

That's OK.
Everyone wants truth on his side, not everyone wants to be on the side of truth.

« Reply #381 on: September 23, 2019, 12:29:12 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

I don't get it.

That's OK.
i believe he was looking for analysis, not consolation.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #382 on: September 23, 2019, 12:36:02 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

I don't get it.

it is normal.... cause it does not make any sense....  last summer it was Williams the next Russel cause he jumps high , now is Tacko ..... The just pick a player and they blow out of proportions whatever upside the kid has ignoring simple facts like let say being an undrafted 23 year old   

« Reply #383 on: September 23, 2019, 01:34:38 PM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Take away love and the earth is a tomb. ~ Browning

I don't get it.

it is normal.... cause it does not make any sense....  last summer it was Williams the next Russel cause he jumps high , now is Tacko ..... The just pick a player and they blow out of proportions whatever upside the kid has ignoring simple facts like let say being an undrafted 23 year old

Ah, C'mon.  Don't spoil our fun.  Its the time of the season to be optimistic.
Everyone wants truth on his side, not everyone wants to be on the side of truth.

« Reply #384 on: September 25, 2019, 06:31:58 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Man I hope Taco makes it, if you’re on twitter or instagram, he is just a sweet genuine good guy.

« Reply #385 on: September 25, 2019, 08:09:00 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Man I hope Taco makes it, if you’re on twitter or instagram, he is just a sweet genuine good guy.

Agreed. Me too.

« Reply #386 on: September 25, 2019, 08:42:52 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52

Agreed. Me too.
I think it would be best for him to end up in Maine. He's very raw and needs to learn a lot before he's ready for the NBA. Worst thing would be for him to sit at the end of the bench in Boston, much better to play every night in Maine.

« Reply #387 on: September 25, 2019, 08:53:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think, eventually, it will be best to dump Strus and give Tacko his two way player slot. It keeps him in Maine but doesn't take up an important roster slot in case the team really clicks, plays great and needs to add someone to help for the playoffs.

« Reply #388 on: September 25, 2019, 09:23:53 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
I think, eventually, it will be best to dump Strus and give Tacko his two way player slot. It keeps him in Maine but doesn't take up an important roster slot in case the team really clicks, plays great and needs to add someone to help for the playoffs.

Huge TP Nick. Appreciate that comment. Tacko is my long lost friend, compadre, and confidant.

« Reply #389 on: September 25, 2019, 09:26:01 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Yup. Here's the list for greatest athletes, and just all around awesome people from New England sports.

#1Tom Brady
#2 Tacko "Legend of the Fall"