Author Topic: Doc needs to tweak his system a little bit.  (Read 5627 times)

Doc needs to tweak his system a little bit.
« on: November 18, 2012, 10:06:19 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Offensively the amount of off-ball screens that get set for each one of the sets is just absurd. Every play that gets run for terry is so telegraphed because you hav 3 or 4 guys standing in the screen position and only 1 guy moving.

Guys like green and terry are exhausted from changing direction over 4 screens then they finally get the ball they miss their shot.

Im not sure Doc has recognized that we have the weapons this year to run more simple sets and get them to use their skills to improvise and score. This year is a completely different complexion to last year where we had a lot of grind-em-out energy guys that didn't have much offensive prowess. (eg sasha, Dooling, quis etc)

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

Re: Doc needs to tweak his system a little bit.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 10:14:02 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
There is no shot blocking presence. AT ALL.

He should start from that.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 10:15:39 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Another Doc Rivers team underachieving  ::). Sometimes I ponder what Gregg Popovich could do with this roster. And if he was head coach of the Celtics, how many more championship rings would be on KG's finger?

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 10:24:15 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
I really don't get why they signed Terry if they're only going to play him off the ball.  When they signed him, they at least talked a good game.  They said they needed another guy who can handle the ball in pick and roll situations and create his own shot and Terry is that guy.  They're using him in the way that pushed Ray to Miami.  It's absolutely brilliant.

Terry is one of the best shooters in the league off the dribble.  He's also a good passer and very adept at bringing the ball up and walking into a three point shot.  They have him doing done of that.

I just don't understand why Doc pares everyone's talents down so Rondo can have the ball all the freaking time.

As far as I know, no championship team has ever had only one player who plays over 30 minutes a game with an assist percentage over 20.  In 2008, both Rondo and Pierce were over 20.  Making everyone role players so one guy can get some assist mark doesn't work.

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 10:33:15 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Another Doc Rivers team underachieving  ::). Sometimes I ponder what Gregg Popovich could do with this roster. And if he was head coach of the Celtics, how many more championship rings would be on KG's finger?
I hear you, I hear Phil Jackson is available.  ;)

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 10:42:16 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
As far as I know, no championship team has ever had only one player who plays over 30 minutes a game with an assist percentage over 20.  In 2008, both Rondo and Pierce were over 20.  Making everyone role players so one guy can get some assist mark doesn't work.

Is that something you'd expect to know off the top of your head?

In any case, it looks like none of the Spurs or Lakers teams that have won titles since 1999 had more than one player who plays over 30 minutes a game with an assist percentage over 20. So that's 9 out of the last 14 champs that don't meet your criteria.

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 10:49:24 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
I hear you, I hear Phil Jackson is available.  ;)

Phil does have the itch to coach again.  ;) He can exact revenge against his former club #18.

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 10:56:44 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
After this game maybe Doc'll stop playing smallball!!!

Positives, guys, positives!

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 10:57:22 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
Thank god it's not only me...In my eyes some good penetration and one decent pick is much better than 4 picks set just because a play book said so....

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 10:58:38 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71

In any case, it looks like none of the Spurs or Lakers teams that have won titles since 1999 had more than one player who plays over 30 minutes a game with an assist percentage over 20. So that's 9 out of the last 14 champs that don't meet your criteria.

Okay, clearly I didn't think my criteria through.  Basically, I hate watching a team where one guy monopolizes the ball to the tune of an assist percentage in the 40s or above unless that guy is Magic Johnson and they're playing at a fast pace.  Rondo's assist percentage in 2008 was 28.  There's no reason for him to have the ball all the time if it means his teammates stand around so much.

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 11:13:02 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Okay, clearly I didn't think my criteria through.  Basically, I hate watching a team where one guy monopolizes the ball to the tune of an assist percentage in the 40s or above unless that guy is Magic Johnson and they're playing at a fast pace.  Rondo's assist percentage in 2008 was 28.  There's no reason for him to have the ball all the time if it means his teammates stand around so much.

So you've never enjoyed watching teams led by Thomas, Stockton, KJ, Kidd, Nash, Paul or Williams? Interesting.

In any case, Rondo gets the team open shots and they score pretty efficiently, which is good for a team that tends to take low efficiency shots and doesn't have a ton of shot creators.

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 11:27:24 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

So you've never enjoyed watching teams led by Thomas, Stockton, KJ, Kidd, Nash, Paul or Williams? Interesting.

In any case, Rondo gets the team open shots and they score pretty efficiently, which is good for a team that tends to take low efficiency shots and doesn't have a ton of shot creators.

the problem with this celtics is that Rondos assist number comes from spot jumpers, and not like stocktons from Malone attacking

other than a couple of alleys i know....
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 11:29:59 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen

This is a problem but I dont think its THE problem tonight.

This team should be able to allow 90-95 points on "lazy" defensive nights and still score 100-110 points to get the W. They have enough offensive talent.

We scored 75 points tonight when we have guys like Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Jason Terry, Rajon Rondo, Courtney Lee and Leandro Barbosa.  That is a huge issue when these guys have all shown that they can fill it up consistently on a nightly basis for their respective teams in the past.

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 11:57:43 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

This team should be able to allow 90-95 points on "lazy" defensive nights and still score 100-110 points to get the W. They have enough offensive talent.

We scored 75 points tonight when we have guys like Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Jason Terry, Rajon Rondo, Courtney Lee and Leandro Barbosa.  That is a huge issue when these guys have all shown that they can fill it up consistently on a nightly basis for their respective teams in the past.

You mean the distant past, right?  KG hasn't exactly filled it up in a while, Barbosa is like 5 years removed from 6POY and that was with PHX in the D'Antoni years.  Pierce hasn't been a consistent scorer from night to night in a couple of years, either.

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 12:01:32 AM »

Offline blastoidesroidsnoids

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21

Pierce hasn't been a consistent scorer from night to night in a couple of years, either.
what are you on