Author Topic: (Erik) Ainge: 'I had to get help before I died'  (Read 5620 times)

(Erik) Ainge: 'I had to get help before I died'
« on: March 29, 2011, 01:55:46 PM »

Offline stb

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 120
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 01:56:56 PM by Fafnir »

Re: (Erik) Ainge: 'I had to get help before I died'
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 02:45:22 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
Wow...what a story. I'm so glad I've never taken a drug in my life. I don't know if I could deal with a potential addiction like he did.

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 04:12:48 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Why doesn't he just help himself in private?

I'll never figure out what motivates people to exploit themselves like this.  It only serves the person writing the story.

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 04:51:28 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Great story, thanks for posting.

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 05:20:10 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
wow, quite a story.
def. worth the read.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 05:22:53 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

I'll never figure out what motivates people to exploit themselves like this.  It only serves the person writing the story.

It may help if you actually read the story:
The reason I decided to speak so openly about this is because I want to bring awareness to mental health and the disease of addiction. Kids and athletes need to know it's OK to ask for help and to talk to somebody about what's going on in their lives. I was afraid to talk before, but through my NA program and God, I'm not afraid to ask for help or talk openly anymore.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 05:41:52 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526

People are just not all the same.  What you would do (speculatively) in a certain situation has not much relevance to what others would, or should, do.  We all have our needs and they manifest in different ways depending upon our biology and life experiences -- which may have some common threads for most people, but are different person to person.   

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 12:28:04 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

The reason I decided to speak so openly about this is because I want to bring awareness to mental health and the disease of addiction. Kids and athletes need to know it's OK to ask for help and to talk to somebody about what's going on in their lives. I was afraid to talk before, but through my NA program and God, I'm not afraid to ask for help or talk openly anymore.

I actually did read the story....Until I got to the fallacy of addiction being a "disease".  And the bipolar silliness.  Rationale and excuses..Yada yada yada...I still don't get it. 

Reggie Jackson has the greatest take ever on stories like this.

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 01:37:37 PM »

Offline bbd24

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 118

I actually did read the story....Until I got to the fallacy of addiction being a "disease".  And the bipolar silliness.  Rationale and excuses..Yada yada yada...I still don't get it. 

Reggie Jackson has the greatest take ever on stories like this.

If you still don't get it than I'm not sure anyone can help you in  this case.  Bottom line, he's trying to bring awareness to a disease that many across the U.S. struggle with.  Addiction.

People who struggle with this type of addiction also struggle in finding help.  They feel they don't need help.  Stories like this encourage and sometimes even make people realize they can get their life back.

Also, you can't put Reggie Jackson and 'greatest takes' in the same sentence.  Like Alcohol and drugs, those don't mix.

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 01:45:01 PM »

Offline bbd24

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 118
Kudos to Danny Ainge for taking him in and helping his family member out.  Thats how us Celtic family roll. Time and time again a lot of family just give up on 'crazy white boy(s)' like this.

Not only is he a great GM, he seems like a great overall person. Something that is far and away better than being a good GM. Something a lot of people could learn from these days.

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 03:16:03 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
Kudos to Danny Ainge for taking him in and helping his family member out.  Thats how us Celtic family roll. Time and time again a lot of family just give up on 'crazy white boy(s)' like this.

Not only is he a great GM, he seems like a great overall person. Something that is far and away better than being a good GM. Something a lot of people could learn from these days.

Wholeheartedly agree with your sentiment.  It should be a private family matter.  Rehab, heal, and take your life back.   Not some disingenuous idle gossip "I'm doing it for the kids" mantra. 

If we're going to be spoken to on issues like this...Let the "kids" learn from Larry Fitzgerald, Tim Tebow, Ray Allen, Warrick Dunn and the thousands of athletes who didn't need to resort to this.