Author Topic: The GOAT’s Scapegoat  (Read 4107 times)

The GOAT’s Scapegoat
« on: January 13, 2024, 11:00:20 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Chicago Bulls fans booed former general manager Jerry Krause on Friday night during a halftime ceremony to honor the organization’s greats.

Krause helped build the Bulls dynasty that won six NBA Championships from 1991 to 1998, but was painted as one of the key figures in breaking up the team in the Michael Jordan inspired documentary, The Last Dance.

Although the fans actions are reprehensible, Michael Jordan is culpable for their behaviour.

The documented footage from the 1997–98 season hadn’t see the light of day because Michael Jordan had final say on the project. Jordan originally refused to complete the documentary due to fears the public would perceive him negatively after viewing.

If the documentary was going to have a villain, the easiest target was (deceased) Jerry Krause.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 12:10:35 AM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: The GOAT’s Scapegoat
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2024, 11:59:23 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1016
Michael Jordan is meh, and the Bulls will never win another championship again.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2024, 01:14:45 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum

I’m sorry but it’s not a meh scenario. Krause’s widow was at the ceremony, those boo’s devastated her.

5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2024, 03:22:50 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1016

I’m sorry but it’s not a meh scenario. Krause’s widow was at the ceremony, those boo’s devastated her.

I'm on the side of Krause. Jordan's pettiness lately has gone out of hand, that's why anything I see Jordan-related it just leaves a sour-taste in my mouth. Without Pippen, Jordan wins nothing. Was a terrible owner with the Hornets too.

But yeah, not a big Jordan fan here. I have more respect for Magic.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2024, 04:45:42 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2427
That was disgusting. He has died and you are out there booing his surviving family members?

Awful behaviour.

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2024, 04:48:36 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2427

I'm on the side of Krause. Jordan's pettiness lately has gone out of hand, that's why anything I see Jordan-related it just leaves a sour-taste in my mouth. Without Pippen, Jordan wins nothing. Was a terrible owner with the Hornets too.

But yeah, not a big Jordan fan here. I have more respect for Magic.

Phil Jackson played a huge role in it as well. And then he did the exact same thing to Jerry West in Los Angeles. Phil's treatment of West was the main reason Jerry left the Lakers.

He always wanted to create an "us against the world" mentality which included us againt the front office. He would ban Jerry West from practices, from the locker room.

It was a rinse and repeat strategy of what he did to Krause.

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2024, 07:31:19 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1402
Those people who booed, knowing the person's widow was present, are responsible for their actions. I don't think you can blame that on anyone else. Takes some pretty mean spirited people to be able to do that, but unfortunately that's how our society is heading. Much easier to call people trash, to say they suck. Much harder to be understanding.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2024, 11:08:22 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1561
Those people who booed, knowing the person's widow was present, are responsible for their actions. I don't think you can blame that on anyone else. Takes some pretty mean spirited people to be able to do that, but unfortunately that's how our society is heading. Much easier to call people trash, to say they suck. Much harder to be understanding.
of course you can. They follow the lead of their idols. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2024, 11:12:21 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3032
  • On To Banner 18!
Not excusing the fans' actions, but it seems like the Bulls didn't even plan this properly and only decided to do it about 6 weeks ago. I mean, Jordan and Pippen weren't even there, and I don't think they individually honored everyone including Kerr who was right there that night (on the opposing sideline). Kerr was literally a part of that team as well.

More details here in the Athletic article (I did it via Reddit because I don't have the subscription)

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/195okb3/greenberg_i_heard_a_lot_of_people_ask_if_jordan/

Again, the fans shouldn't have booed. But honestly, that Jordan documentary definitely created controversy. Pippen hated how he was portrayed. Others were portrayed as "villains". They kind of asked for the backlash as a result.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2024, 11:28:46 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 432
That was disgusting. He has died and you are out there booing his surviving family members?

Awful behaviour.Agree! Very distasteful
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2024, 01:13:21 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25607
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Jordan was entitled to his opinion.  The fans are responsible for their own actions.

of course you can. They follow the lead of their idols

Weak argument that allows people to avoid personal responsibility.  Is Jordan disrespecting Krause's widow?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2024, 01:18:41 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2978
I’m speechless, such poor manners and upbringing.

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2024, 01:51:02 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • On To Banner 18!
A lot of this could easily be fixed if Jordan actually came out in support of Krause and his widow.

I really hate to sound like the bad guy saying this, because yes the fans were obviously in the wrong for booing. But lets not act like Jordan didn't basically create the tension through his documentary. Krause was made to be a villain in that. Pippen got portrayed badly in that and in a negative light. I don't even think Pippen likes Jordan now.

But of course Jordan won't do anything about it because that's who he is. He's even doubled down on a lot of the things said and portrayed from that documentary when he could have backtracked or at least showed support for the others in that documentary.

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2024, 03:12:44 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25607
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
A lot of this could easily be fixed if Jordan actually came out in support of Krause and his widow.

I really hate to sound like the bad guy saying this, because yes the fans were obviously in the wrong for booing. But lets not act like Jordan didn't basically create the tension through his documentary. Krause was made to be a villain in that. Pippen got portrayed badly in that and in a negative light. I don't even think Pippen likes Jordan now.

But of course Jordan won't do anything about it because that's who he is. He's even doubled down on a lot of the things said and portrayed from that documentary when he could have backtracked or at least showed support for the others in that documentary.

I'm curious how old you were in 1998.  The anti-Krause stuff was out there at the time.  It's not like it just sprung up in a documentary from three years ago. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2024, 03:13:52 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • On To Banner 18!

I'm curious how old you were in 1998.  The anti-Krause stuff was out there at the time.  It's not like it just sprung up in a documentary from three years ago.

I was born in 1998  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: