Author Topic: Our three point shooting is way down from last year  (Read 3872 times)

Re: Our three point shooting is way down from last year
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2018, 09:01:12 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
It's down because last year we were moving the ball with ease and getting open looks, constantly catching defenses on their heels.

This year everyone is shooting contested three's and playing hero ball.

At times this has been the case but the truth is that they have missed an unreal amount of open looks off of good ball movement, particularly early in games.  They have also been terrible at scoring inside the point.  Some of this is trending in the right direction.  It's just very difficult to find any positives after the recent performance in Utah and blown lead from last night. 

Last night really does feel like an improvement, which I realize seems kind of lame given the expectations of this team.  I have no doubt that our record would be much better if they had played with last nights approach to start the season.

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2018, 09:02:47 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Rozier, Tatum, and Smart are not all much different then career averages (for Tatum, last season is his career), yes down from last season but statistically within the norm.  Horford had a ridiculous start to the year last year so he will never match that.  He is about where you would expect him to be in my mind.  We don't need him taking 3s anyway.  If wide open, at the end of the shot clock, sure, but he should be the 5th option to take a 3.

Brown is definitely in a funk or something.  I think he is hurt.  If that is the case, they should just rest him or play him off the bench or something to flip his script.  I still believe in him.  I don't buy that last season is some kind of a fluke.

Hayward is a big question.  It is not surprising that after a year off and a major injury rehabilitation, that his touch is off some.  I think he is looked good.  He is quicker than I realized.  I always thought of him as a 3 but I think he may be better as a 2.  I know, both are wings but there is a little difference.  He came off the bench last night.  Little surprised it wasn't Brown who came off the bench.  Hayward did not have a great game.  I think Brown off the bench may be better at this point (things can change).

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2018, 09:12:47 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Our problem is we can't make open 3s, as long as it continues nothing will fix anything

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2018, 09:58:25 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Our problem is we can't make open 3s, as long as it continues nothing will fix anything
it really is just this simple.  they're getting plenty of open looks but the entire team has been bricking open shots.  if only 1 or 2 of our primary scorers were having an off night hitting open shots instead of 1 or 2 not having an off night, we'd only have 2-3 losses this year. 

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2018, 10:12:06 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
It's tempting to put it down to bad luck, but the game has changed this year: pace and off rebounds 14 secs. Brad just needs to make adjustments. I think he'll figure it out.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2018, 10:53:44 AM »

Online gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
The big problem as I see it is this. Nobody is driving to the rim. So instead we pass the ball around the perimeter and take a shot without cuasing any panic, movement or reaction from the defense. These threes are easier to defend. I think the guys shooting very low like Brown will shoot better, small sample size is still a thing. The difference between 28% (awful) and 39%(great) is like 7-8 makes right now. But overall as long as we shoot threes off stagnant offense we will shoot less than our talent would indicate we should.
I see sort of the opposite problem.  When guys drive and kick, we have so few guys willing to step into and take the three.  I’ve seen way too many possessions where we drive and drive, drive and kick, and drive and kick multiple times.

Much of the time the drives don't go deep enough into the defense either. I saw the same problem 2 or 3 years ago to start the year and then they fixed it. Isaiah Thomas, Avery Bradley, Jae Crowder began getting a step or two closer to the basket and either forced fouls or kicked it back out. These one or two step drives don't drag the defense enough to create proper space.

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2018, 11:38:08 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
The big problem as I see it is this. Nobody is driving to the rim. So instead we pass the ball around the perimeter and take a shot without cuasing any panic, movement or reaction from the defense. These threes are easier to defend. I think the guys shooting very low like Brown will shoot better, small sample size is still a thing. The difference between 28% (awful) and 39%(great) is like 7-8 makes right now. But overall as long as we shoot threes off stagnant offense we will shoot less than our talent would indicate we should.
actually, the celtics are among the league leaders in open 3 point shots. they are simply missing them.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2018, 11:42:31 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I think having Kyrie and Hayward starting makes us less athletic.

I want to see Robert Williams play. We need what he has.

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2018, 11:45:22 AM »

Online gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
What I think is interesting is that they are both missing open shots at a high rate and taking some bad shots. One should improve on its own, the other needs work. I'm all for improvement in both areas.

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2018, 11:51:45 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Horford shot 42% last year. This year 30%.
Brown shot 39% last year. This year 27%.
Rozier shot 38% last year. This year 33%.
Tatum shot 43% last year. This year 39%.
Smart shot 30% last year. This year 25%.
Hayward has gone from 39% his last year in Utah to 29%.

It really boils down to Horford, Brown, and Hayward.
Horford looks like an old man.
Brown looks like he is lost, except for the last few games when he has finally started driving to the basket.
And Hayward is just not the same player he was before the injury.

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2018, 12:48:19 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Horford I think is just in a slump.  He'll improve.

Hayward's poor shooting is no mystery.

Rozier and Brown, I think, are suffering the most from a major change in the scope of their offensive roles this year compared to the playoffs.  I'm not certain they'll get better but we have to hope they will.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2018, 03:28:12 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361

Rozier and Brown, I think, are suffering the most from a major change in the scope of their offensive roles this year compared to the playoffs.  I'm not certain they'll get better but we have to hope they will.

It's not too often that players have breakout seasons and improve a lot only to be rewarded by being told they will be playing less next season and have to achieve the same impact with less touches. Must be challenging.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2018, 03:38:28 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

It's not too often that players have breakout seasons and improve a lot only to be rewarded by being told they will be playing less next season and have to achieve the same impact with less touches. Must be challenging.

Is either going to play much less?

If anything, Rozier is given the keys to the offense on the second team (with offensively challenged Smart, Theis, and up until yesterday, Baynes) against mostly inferior competition. He’s done nothing with that responsibility. If he can’t check his ego on going back to deserve because a better player returned, he shouldn’t be on this team, and I think it’s getting to that point honestly.

Brown should get relatively the same minutes, and sure his touches may take a dip, but he should adapt. He’s 22, he’s not some old vet. Become the guy who guards the opposing teams best player. Work on his spot-up shooting and move without the ball. No, he’s not as great a shooter as Klay, but he can definitely mold his game like his, while being a better driver.

Everyone has to make sacrifices, and I truly hope Charles Barkley of all people wasn’t right when he said there is too much talent here.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2018, 06:20:30 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
actually, the celtics are among the league leaders in open 3 point shots. they are simply missing them.
because most of the team isn't really all that good at shooting 3 pointers.  Last year was just a flukey season.  Now they are better then they've shown thus far, but if you put this season and last season together, the team is just regressing to the mean. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2018, 06:22:41 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
because most of the team isn't really all that good at shooting 3 pointers.  Last year was just a flukey season.  Now they are better then they've shown thus far, but if you put this season and last season together, the team is just regressing to the mean.
Who in particular, out of our guys that take threes, aren't good shooters? Or more specifically, who is shooting as you'd expect them to?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)