Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 368797 times)

Re: The Sixers missed their sell high moment
« Reply #105 on: January 09, 2017, 03:33:32 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Just thought I'd point out that the 76ers are 26th in the league in home attendance percentage record at 82.1%.  The Celtics are at 99.2%.  The 76ers are dead last on the road at 83.3%.  I'm not sure that's a sign of their fans being elated right now.
They were 70% in 2010 though when they won 27 games.  In fact from 2007 to 2011 they were in the 70's every single season.  During that span they won 35, 40, 41, 27, and 41 games.  That would lead one to believe they actually have more hope now then they did when they were middling team which actually supports LarBrd's position.

http://www.espn.com/nba/attendance/_/sort/homePct
in 2012 and 2013 they were at 86 and 82%. Ticket prices were also more expensive from 2007 to 2011.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/220940/nba-average-ticket-price-for-philapdelphia-76ers-games/
Are those the average of sold tickets or the average of all available tickets?  I ask because if it is sold tickets those numbers actually make perfect sense. 

2012 they made the ECS and was the only time they have been above .500 in over a decade (even then it had been almost a decade since a playoff series win).  Interest waned after the ill fated Bynum trade and they dropped to 82.2% which is basically where they are at now with basically the same average ticket price despite this terrible down streak.

The attendance numbers absolutely support the idea that Philly fans are excited.  Certainly way more excited for the middling teams they had in the mid to late 2000's.  That is the point though.  Philly fans actually think they have a team that could actually compete for championships in the making right now.  They haven't had that since the one season Iverson's group made the Finals and even that 1 appearance is 15 years ago and was 16 years from the one prior to that.  Most franchises aren't the Lakers or Celtics where you get accustomed to having real and legit contenders.  When you finally have a core you think could get you there, you get excited.  The attendance numbers bear this out.
So in your opinion, would you say it's fair to comment that based on critical observation and analysis, Philly fandom would quantify their acceptance and excitement of their current basketball situation as properly "on fleek"?   

« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2017, 03:37:47 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

« Reply #107 on: January 09, 2017, 03:55:15 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'm happy for Philly fans that they are excited.  It will make it even more fun when the are starting over again, again, in a couple, four, five years.

Sam Hinkie wasn't much of a GM, but he was a heck of a marketer.  Lots of teams have taken a similar approach in the past; before it was called the "process," it was known by the less catchy slogan, "really sucking for a really long time."
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #108 on: January 09, 2017, 03:59:53 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
I'm happy for Philly fans that they are excited.  It will make it even more fun when the are starting over again, again, in a couple, four, five years.

Sam Hinkie wasn't much of a GM, but he was a heck of a marketer.  Lots of teams have taken a similar approach in the past; before it was called the "process," it was known by the less catchy slogan, "really sucking for a really long time."

If anything he was a decent GM but a terrible marketer.  He could have seen the fruits of his efforts without getting fired if he had bothered to do some more press/maintain better relationships.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #109 on: January 09, 2017, 04:01:48 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I'll genuinely be surprised if they aren't a playoff team in the next 3 years.  Even if they were at full strength right now that might be a team that could threaten for a playoff slot (with Embiid off the minutes restriction, Noel getting 20+ minutes and Simmons back).   

Even with Embiid limited to 25 minutes per night and Simmons yet to make his debut, they are about even with the Timberwolves - which says a lot.   

« Reply #110 on: January 09, 2017, 04:03:49 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
I'll genuinely be surprised if they aren't a playoff team in the next 3 years.  Even if they were at full strength right now that might be a team that could threaten for a playoff slot (with Embiid off the minutes restriction, Noel getting 20+ minutes and Simmons back).   

Even with Embiid limited to 25 minutes per night and Simmons yet to make his debut, they are about even with the Timberwolves - which says a lot.

Me too.  I thought the end goal was to more than just a "playoff team," though.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #111 on: January 09, 2017, 04:05:07 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4592
As someone who currently lives in Philly, my view from here is that general population isn't lit.

When the C's came to Philly, I got 2 tickets 2 rows behind the 76ers bench for $90 each, that's ridiculous for a Saturday night game.  I was kicking myself after I bought them because a few hours later 2 tickets 1 row behind the C"s bench opened up for about the same price.  Unfortunately, now the wife has said she could never go back to sitting anywhere but the floor again.

Living here it seems like it goes:
Eagles
Flyers
Phillies
Sixers

Traveled to both Atlanta and Charlotte last year for C's games.  Both were tougher tickets to get.  Both fan bases generally seemed more lit from where I sat.

So not a lot of people care about the 76ers, but the people who do show up to the games are definitely crazy about Embiid and excited about seeing Simmons, a lot of buzz for them from people who care, just not that many people care.  No doubt the hundreds of people who blog about them are extremely excited and optimistic though.

This is from a guy whose lived in Philly for 6 months and been to 1 game (that Embiid wasn't scheduled to suit up for).

I'm pretty sure RAAAAAAAANDY's a Sixers fan, not sure if he's from Philly though, would be nice to hear his view.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 04:22:08 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #112 on: January 09, 2017, 04:06:36 PM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

Philly is 10-25. Minny is 11-26.

What promise could you or Philly ownership make to the Philly fans that these players will hit their prime wearing a 76ers jersey? I don't see this as a given.

« Reply #113 on: January 09, 2017, 04:09:33 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

What promise could you or Philly ownership make to the Philly fans that these players will hit their prime wearing a 76ers jersey? I don't see this as a given.
the shear amount more money Philly can offer is a pretty good start.  I mean seriously, when was the last time a maximum level free agent left after his rookie contract.  I think it was probably Shaq in the mid-90's and that was under a different cap system. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #114 on: January 09, 2017, 04:12:05 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391

the shear amount more money Philly can offer is a pretty good start.  I mean seriously, when was the last time a maximum level free agent left after his rookie contract.  I think it was probably Shaq in the mid-90's and that was under a different cap system.

Well Harden didn't leave as a free agent, but it seemed like he probably would have.

« Reply #115 on: January 09, 2017, 04:12:31 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Sure, but these things have a typical trajectory.  Took guys like LeBron and Durant a few years to make the playoffs and a couple more to reach contender status.   If they stay healthy, you gotta figure they make the playoffs in the next 3 years (and might even be our on our level) and will only get better.  5 years from now you're looking at Embiid at age 27, Noel at age 27, Okafor will be 26, Simmons at age 25... and god forbid they end up with two top 8 picks this Summer and get players like Fultz and Monk who will be 23 years old at that point.    That's when their window would begin.   5 years from now, Thomas will be 32, Bradley will be 31, Crowder will be 31, Horford will be 35... our key guys will be past their prime by then.  If we didn't reach contender status by then, it's not unthinkable that Philly will have surpassed us.     Good news is that there's a chance Smart and Jaylen develop into very good players and our own 2017 draft pick could be HUGE for our franchise (not to mention the Brooklyn 2018 pick).   So maybe (hopefully) we add a young franchise player as well.  Alternatively, we might just trade all of them for Jimmy Butler and spend the next 5 years as a B-level contender. 

« Reply #116 on: January 09, 2017, 04:18:08 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

Sure, but these things have a typical trajectory.  Took guys like LeBron and Durant a few years to make the playoffs and a couple more to reach contender status.   If they stay healthy, you gotta figure they make the playoffs in the next 3 years (and might even be our on our level) and will only get better.  5 years from now you're looking at Embiid at age 27, Noel at age 27, Okafor will be 26, Simmons at age 25... and god forbid they end up with two top 8 picks this Summer and get players like Fultz and Monk who will be 23 years old at that point.    That's when their window would begin.   5 years from now, Thomas will be 32, Bradley will be 31, Crowder will be 31, Horford will be 35... our key guys will be past their prime by then.  If we didn't reach contender status by then, it's not unthinkable that Philly will have surpassed us.     Good news is that there's a chance Smart and Jaylen develop into very good players and our own 2017 draft pick could be HUGE for our franchise (not to mention the Brooklyn 2018 pick).   So maybe (hopefully) we add a young franchise player as well.  Alternatively, we might just trade all of them for Jimmy Butler and spend the next 5 years as a B-level contender.

Wow!!  They can almost taste it.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #117 on: January 09, 2017, 04:20:29 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Wow!!  They can almost taste it.
Definitely.  It's LIT.  http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18431812/joel-embiid-thinking-playoffs-philadelphia-76ers-get-10th-win

« Reply #118 on: January 09, 2017, 04:29:25 PM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

I don't even think players leaving on rookie deals is the problem. Lebron, Kevin Durant, Carmelo, Chris Paul, Lamarcus Aldridge, James Harden, Al Horford, Paul Milsap, Kevin Love, Dwight Howard, (soon to be) Demarcus Cousins, etc etc. are all guys that have played for multiple teams. Not one of them won a ring with the team that drafted them (for LBJ, he won the second time around).

The list of top 50 players that have stayed with the team that drafted them is getting smaller. The list of top guys who have won with the team that drafted them is even smaller: Kawhi, Curry, Thompson, Green, Dirk (I'm probably missing a guy, maybe two).

My point: I think there is a better chance than not that Philly is disassembled before Simmons/Embiid/Fultz (or whoever they draft) wins a ring. Not only is tanking bad for business/the fans, it doesn't guarantee squat.

« Reply #119 on: January 09, 2017, 04:36:12 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

I don't even think players leaving on rookie deals is the problem. Lebron, Kevin Durant, Carmelo, Chris Paul, Lamarcus Aldridge, James Harden, Al Horford, Paul Milsap, Kevin Love, Dwight Howard, (soon to be) Demarcus Cousins, etc etc. are all guys that have played for multiple teams. Not one of them won a ring with the team that drafted them (for LBJ, he won the second time around).

The list of top 50 players that have stayed with the team that drafted them is getting smaller. The list of top guys who have won with the team that drafted them is even smaller: Kawhi, Curry, Thompson, Green, Dirk (I'm probably missing a guy, maybe two).

My point: I think there is a better chance than not that Philly is disassembled before Simmons/Embiid/Fultz (or whoever they draft) wins a ring.
The counterargument would be the guys left those teams because they only drafted 1 stud.

Philly had no plans on sucking for a year, getting one good talent and winning again. They wanted to suck for a few years so they can have NOel and Okafor not pan out and still have Embiid Simmons and this years lotto picks.

Philly didnt want to be Sacremento or New Orleans or the Melo Nuggets or the KG Timberwolves or the Lebron Cavs. Those were all teams who drafted superstars but were unable to put enough elite talent around them to win rings with them.

edit: throw Kyrie on that list.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.