Author Topic: ECF Game 2 Pistons at Celtics 5/22 8:30 PM ESPN  (Read 79356 times)

ECF Game 2 Pistons at Celtics 5/22 8:30 PM ESPN
« on: May 21, 2008, 04:16:08 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 

Detroit Pistons (0-1, 8-4) at Boston Celtics (1-0, 9-6)
Eastern Conference Finals Game 2
Thursday, May 22
8:30 PM ET
TV:ESPN
TD Banknorth Garden   

Probable Starting Matchups
PG Rondo vs Billups

SG Allen vs Hamilton 

SF   Pierce vs Prince 

PF    Garnett vs McDyess 

C  Perkins vs Wallace 

Off the Bench:
Eddie House,  James Posey, Leon Powe,  Big Baby Davis, Tony Allen,   PJ Brown, Sam Cassell

Injuries
Scott Pollard, ankle, out

Inactive
Brian Scalabrine, Gabe Pruitt

Off the Bench
Jason Maxiel,  Arron Afflalo, Linsdey Hunter, Jarvis Hayes,   Rodney Stuckey,  Theo Ratiliff, Juan Dixon, Amir Johnson,

Injuries
None

Inactive

Juan Dixon,  Cheikh Samb,   Walter Hermann

Key Matchups
  vs   
Rajon Rondo vs Chauncey Billups
Rondo won the first round between these two point guards.  He clearly out played him on both ends of the floor.    Billups was a step slow the entire game and it appears as though his hamstring may be bothering him more than he originally let on.  This will remain to be a kep to this series as Rondo needs to set the pace of the game and continue to push the ball and set up the Celtics offense.  He did a great job in the first game and will need to continue to do so in this game. 

vs 
Paul Pierce vs Tayshaun Prince
Pierce picked up right where he left off in game 7 to be aggressive on both ends of the court in this game.  He drove to the basket, hit assorted jumpers and was aggressive on defense.  Prince didn't seem to have an answer for him.  Pierce will need to continue to be be the go to guy and be aggressive for the Celtics to succeed. 

Honorable Mention
Ray Allen vs Rip Hamilton
Ray is still struggling with his shot, but he did so many other good things for the Celtics in game 1.  He drove to the hoop, took charges,  and played excellent defense.  The Celtics tried getting Ray going early but he just can't find his shot.   Ray is a scorer, though and one of these games his shots will start to fall, and it can't come too soon.   In the meantime, his aggressiveness on defense and his other contributions are helping the team. 

Keys to the Game
Don't Let Up   The Pistons did not play well in the last game.  The Celtics can't get a false sense of accomplishment and expect them to play as poorly in this game.  The Pistons have a way of turning it on when they need to and I have a feeling we will see them playing a lot better in this game.  The Celtics need to come out strong in this game again and play hard for 48 minutes.  Don't give the Pistons an inch. 

Defense and Rebounding
   The Celtics defense in game 1 was superb and it set the tone for the Celtics entire game.  Turnovers by the Pistons became easy shots for the Celtics.  They need to be just as aggressive defensively in this game and play solid team defense, not allowing any easy baskets.  The Celtics also need to crash the boards.  The team that wins the rebounding battle wins the game.  Perk came out early grabbing every rebound and we will need that again for the Celtics to get off to a good start.

Ball Movement   The Celtics moved the ball very well in game one and were able to get inside and to find the open man.  The Celtics had 27 assists on 36 field goals and they will need to continue to move the ball as they did in game 1.   When they have good ball movement, they are hard to beat.  When the ball stops moving, they struggle. 

X-Factor
Home Court Advantage
The Celtics have won all 9 of their home games so far in the Playoffs.   Hopefully the home court advantage will hold true in this one as well. 

Re: ECF Game 2 Pistons at Celtics 5/22 8:30 PM ESPN
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 06:17:12 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Our good luck charm has arrived!!!!

Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 06:22:43 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Two hours before game time, and only two replies in this thread?  Let's get excited!

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 06:29:10 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I  am nervous  :-\
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 06:48:57 PM »

Offline Hrvoje

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
Two hours before game time, and only two replies in this thread?  Let's get excited!

I'm excited!

Now I'm going to bed for a about 1.5 hours then game starts! (2:30 AM)

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 06:52:51 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
This is the big one - Game 1, as much as we seemed to have them outclassed, was always a reasonably close game.  Winning Game 2 means we get to go on the road with much of the pressure off and the Pistons on their heels.  The Pistons are gonna be ready, they wanted a split and this is their shot, so we need to come at them.

Getting exciting now...

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 07:05:50 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
just made my good luck phone call to my buddy here in knoxville. we played small college ball together and have been Celtic fans since the late 60's.

call complete - check.

the Pistons will be better tonite and the Celtics need to play better as well to match that effort. this game is a perfect emotional setup for a home loss. i perceive a false sense of security from the media. just hope that the players do not share that.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 07:10:24 PM »

Offline Aussie Celtic

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 19
Well, the games just keep getting bigger don't they (funny about that).

This one is HUGE !!!!

Best of luck boys, may the leprechauns stay with us, may the spirit of Red be over us and may the all powerful striped ones give us an even break.

We need Paul and KG to maintain there attack mode and Rajon to be a complete pest.

Solid contributions from everyone else and we have our mojo in place.

The Pistons will be better, no doubt, it is now up to us to turn it up another notch (which I know we can).

Very nervous, but strangely focused.

Oh and great work Chief, very comforted to see our good luck charm turned up nice and early.  TP from me.

Go the Green !!!!

You'll here me cheering down under.

Cheers

Aussie

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 07:16:37 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Game time in about an hour. Excited for this one. Pistons will play much better tonight. We just have to outplay them to have a 2-0 lead going to Detroit.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 07:21:09 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Worked well last game...

Yup

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 07:25:26 PM »

Offline fan33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 5
Introducing, YOOOURRR BOSTON CELTICS (Game thread
), Thaks for that, FlCeltsFan  :D

Just again watched game one, getting psyched-up and in anticipation for tonights home game...

Oh yeah, I'm excited for it to begin alright, with its infinate possibilities as to the play by play and per quarter. with the outcome uncertain but with great hopes for the best tonight in persuit of the goal ;)

I really enjoy reading the game thread(s) here and folks post game comments... I've learned alot in details and about how to bud out and let others vent, because that too is useful and helpful in changing my own opinions too. Lots of very well thought out inciteful thinking on the game and players reflected in a great many diverse opinions, which serves to bring me closer to the experience we all commonly share as fans of the game and out team, The Boston Celtics!

Whatever the outcome, at least I for one am enjoying the ride ;)

fun,fun,fun :)

-Go Celtics- 
"Indefatigable on Defense, defines these Celtics"

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 07:29:39 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
1 hour left till the glugluta!

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 07:30:29 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Lets go Celtics!!!!
Keep on pounding the ball Kevin!
Keep on making great plays Paul!
Gimme a couple 3s tonight Ray!!
Lets go Celtics!!!!

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 07:32:41 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Do we have the JVG crew again tonight?

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 07:34:27 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Do we have the JVG crew again tonight?
I think it's Hubie and Mike Tirrico (likely spelt his name wrong!). They're in Boston for Game two.