Author Topic: Media trying to tear down Celtics  (Read 1856 times)

Media trying to tear down Celtics
« on: July 06, 2018, 08:31:43 AM »

Offline goz421

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 34
 It seems to me these fake stories are directly targeted to try and weaken the Celtics. The same way they do it with the Patriots. My bet is its jealous New York based writers or desperate Boston writers trying to be noticed. When is it going to become painful for these want a be writers to create fake news?

Re: Media trying to tear down Celtics
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 08:44:23 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Nothing new, I was watching one of the talking head sports shows and they were talking about storied franchises and we were not mentioned but the laker and knicks were by Ryan Hollins.   What an idiot.

My bet is its jealous New York based writers or desperate Boston writers trying to be noticed.

Their pseudo storied history with one championship?  Knicks have always been a second tier team save that one year and maybe 1 or 2 others.

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 08:44:38 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
what "fake news" are you talking about?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 08:51:58 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767
I agree with the OP. It's getting silly.

From discounting the Cs achievements, to questioning Tatum's upside, to creating really negative narratives around Kyrie, the general sentiment of resentment for the Cs is palpable.

In reality, the Celtics have a better chance at taking the championship from the Warriors than any team since Lebron actually did it with Kyrie.

Normally, the "Davids" should be lauded and likeable underdogs that can take down the "Goliaths." But in this case, there is a media narrative (not the whole media, but part) that is nitpicking David.

The Cs are the hero Gotham needs, but not the one they want.

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 09:00:31 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Totally agree. They are trying to sow discord within the team. I wouldn't sign an extension now if I were Kyrie either. Why is this even a story? If Ainge finds out Kyrie wants to leave, he will deal him. He's not going to let him walk out the door and not get anything for him. If Kyrie wants to leave a Stevens system, he should look at all the other guys who left and how their careers went into a proverbial black hole.

The talking heads are nervous because now there really are no real contenders in the East and Ainge isn't making a dumb trade for Kawhi. Just wait until the Celtics go to the Finals AND have a top 5 pick. The Kyrie news will be nothing...they will be asking why Kyrie wants to go to NY after making the Finals.

Finally, if he wants to play with Butler, good go somewhere else. Butler doesn't really improve teams, he's a good player but who has he made around him better? The Celtics aren't trading Hayward, Tatum or Brown so we can get another wing in Butler. They can go play together in NY. Now if they want to trade Kyrie for KAT straight up, I think Ainge would do it in a heartbeat.

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 09:09:34 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
what "fake news" are you talking about?

Kyrie's interview in which he was quoted word for word.

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 09:20:40 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
A fan things the media treat his team unfairly .... shocking!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 09:29:58 AM by ederson »

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 09:49:52 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Basketball season's over but Persecution Complex season never takes a holiday.  You guys know your TVs, radios and phones have off switches and the ability to change channels, right?

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 10:06:41 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I blame it on too much "news".  This 24/7 crap by hundreds of people and networks is needlessly stupid.  They just have to make up crap to keep their jobs.

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 10:21:50 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2487
Right before he went to the Lakers decided to stay in OKC, Paul George revealed the Celtics were on his list of preferred destinations.

Right out of the horse's mouth.

Did a single talking head ever speculate as much? Would they ever? I mean, we've landed some big names now the last couple years (Kyrie, Hayward, Horford, Monroe). Opposing players always seem to say great things about us.

And yet the media narrative is always about the Lakers, the Knicks, whoever.

We draft well and then don't really get credit. Even after several stellar playoff series, Brown and Tatum aren't getting the attention they deserve. We were a Cinderella story for the ages last year, and the media only seemed to catch on at the very end.

And now we get rumors about Kyrie and Smart being disgruntled, when it makes zero sense for Ainge to alienate those guys when they are clearly part of The Plan. You have Kyrie himself saying he loves playing here, and he knows he will be the centerpiece of a potential dynasty. From logic alone we know those rumors are nearly guaranteed to be false.

It just doesn't make sense. IMO opposing teams/agents/league sponsors are putting some of this stuff out there, trying to manipulate our narrative for their own ends.

I guess it should be seen as flattery, as we are in a position of remarkable strength. But it's annoying how the media does seem to undercut us. It reminds me a bit of the early Brady-era Patriots. The media didn't really start giving them their due until they won their third title because they weren't as flashy offensively as Peyton Manning or whatever.

It was honestly pretty weird at the time actually. But I feel the C's will get similar treatment. The media wants LeBron, they want the Lakers, they want Harden, they want no-heart Ben SImmons. Just like how they practically ignored Paul Pierce while heaping adulation on Vince Carter. Or when 9 out of 10 ESPN "experts" thought the Lakers would handle us in the 2008 Finals.

It all should serve as nice motivation, and we're gonna have the last laugh.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 10:27:40 AM by kraidstar »

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2018, 01:21:51 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
Everyone outside of Boston/upper northeast hates Boston Sports.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2018, 01:35:10 PM »

Online CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 874
  • GOT IT!!!
Everyone outside of Boston/upper northeast hates Boston Sports.

Pretty much do lol

As for the C's they are gonna have to prove it again this season regardless of their talent. Now that LeBron left they are being lumped with the rest of the Eastern Conference. Really won't get much credit until the Finals the way I see it. I feel like people should know better by now but whatever.

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2018, 01:36:35 PM »

Offline Chef Parish

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1673
i drew the line when the New York Post had an article that said the Celtics won't sign Shane Larkin because Ainge was jealous of Shane's dad's success in MLB