Author Topic: Why the comparison with the ‘17 ECF is irrelevant  (Read 395 times)

Why the comparison with the ‘17 ECF is irrelevant
« on: May 10, 2018, 11:42:26 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
We’ve already seen pop up pessimistic series predictions regarding the ECF against the Cavs, saying they will obliterate us just like last year. But this comparison/historic is irrelevant for many reasons :
- our team was very different, and IT, our best player, was playing on one leg before getting shut down after only 2 games. Crowder, Olynyk, Amir Johnson are all gone, replaced by better players who can almost all create their shots or take advantage of the favorable matchups. Huge difference.
- sure, we’re once again missing our best player(s) but the Cavs don’t have Kyrie anymore and he killed us.
- Baynes can defend the paint and stop Tristan Thompson, our nemesis on the boards.
- The Cavs are older, awful defensively (it’s the most overlooked element imo, we can’t stop LeBron but they can’t stop us either) and running on tired legs much like we were last year after the WAS series.
- mentally,  ‘17 team was simply happy to get to the ECF, Brown was barely playing. This team doesn’t want to stop now, Brown has matured and Tatum is already a killer. I think there is no fear of Cleveland and a real desire to get through them for once, and it’s huge.
- we can throw multiple athletic wings to cover LeBron on on one. He is arguably playing the best basketball of his career but he’s basically alone. Shut down his teammates and you can survive his big games.
- we’re much more athletic and have HCA. I know HCA didn’t mean squat last year but it’s different now and the Cavs have been so-so on the road in these PO (not counting Toronto because they just own them mentally).

Now I’m not saying we will win or that the Cavs shouldn’t be favored : they should if only because they are the defending EC champs and haven’t been knocked down. But the Celtics shouldn’t be underestimated because of last year’s results. Different teams, different momentum.