Author Topic: Sullinger Arrested in Domestic Incident  (Read 104454 times)

Re: Sullinger Arrested in Domestic Incident
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2013, 01:03:05 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
These pro athletes keep doing stupid things. They are millionaires, they have a great life, they're idolized by millions... and yet they act like they have a chicken's brain.

Having a great life is more a complex conclusion than having talent, having money and/or having fame/adulation.  Lots of people with the outward appearance of having things we all might want are not having great lives.  Sometimes it's due to 'chicken brain' but there are plenty of other variables.

Yeah, I try to picture 20-year-old me having millions of dollars and a fair amount of fame dropped in my lap, and while I don't think I'd ever do anything violent, I'm pretty sure 20-year-old me would've found quite a few other ways to be stupid with it.

BTW, while the alleged incidents don't appear nearly the same, I agree with a prior poster that the contrast in reactions to T-Will and Sully's allegations are really, really striking.  Lots more benefit of the doubt going on here.

« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2013, 01:08:08 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I have witnessed plenty times where someone had to hold or push someone in order to keep that person from assaulting them. There is no reason to hit or touch anyone unless its self defence in these situations. No one knows what went down but the persons involved. 

If he broke her stuff then he should have to pay up. If he put hands to her other than in self defence he should be in jail.

I don't know if this is still the case but last I heard (don't pay attention), here in FL, that both people get arrested in DV situations. If there are no witnesses then that should be the case because there is no telling what caused the situation, as I said at times DV could be as simple as I'm going to hold you so you won't hit me. The supposed victim could be claiming a false account for many different reasons. There is just no telling. People are apt to believe the woman's account over a man's any way... that's why you should take both parties into custody and investigate the situation thoroughly. A lot of times people just need to be separated in order to cool down.

Honestly, people need to choose better partners and friends so it never comes down to this.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2013, 01:12:28 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
Definitely sounds like a bad situation

Looks like a top 5 pick has a very strong chance of happening

Sucks, because I really liked sully, but if true he should be punished with pay checks and games, if not more...

he's 21! he should stop acting like a kid. He is a professional now. Love the kid, but I agree. If true, he should be punished by games and paychecks.

Just my opinion here, but at 21 you should be punished for your crime, however, 21 year olds are often kids.  We mature at different rates and many 21 year olds are still socially immature. 
Young adults need to be held accountable -- especially for violent or destructive actions -- but some in their early 20's (and under) just aren't ready for full grown adult/professional behavior.
Hopefully his aggression was to things rather than directly to his girlfriend, and hopefully this type of behavior will never happen again.

« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2013, 01:22:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I have witnessed plenty times where someone had to hold or push someone in order to keep that person from assaulting them. There is no reason to hit or touch anyone unless its self defence in these situations. No one knows what went down but the persons involved. 

If he broke her stuff then he should have to pay up. If he put hands to her other than in self defence he should be in jail.

I don't know if this is still the case but last I heard (don't pay attention), here in FL, that both people get arrested in DV situations. If there are no witnesses then that should be the case because there is no telling what caused the situation, as I said at times DV could be as simple as I'm going to hold you so you won't hit me. The supposed victim could be claiming a false account for many different reasons. There is just no telling. People are apt to believe the woman's account over a man's any way... that's why you should take both parties into custody and investigate the situation thoroughly. A lot of times people just need to be separated in order to cool down.

Honestly, people need to choose better partners and friends so it never comes down to this.
My wife was a DV advocate for 10 years in Massachusetts and sadly, enforcement of DV laws vary from city to city and town to town in Massachusetts. Many cities and towns still employee that old school philosophy that DV is just a domestic dispute and should be kept out of the police station and in the home. Others are very vigilant and will arrest both parties. Most times, separation is called for and an arrest will only occur if signs of a physical altercation are clearing visible on one party or the other.

That's Massachusetts. Laws and enforcement of those laws vary greatly throughout the country.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 01:33:08 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2013, 01:30:01 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1481

I agree with this 100%.  In a situation where the victim doesn't claim to have been hit, has no injuries how do we really know that Sullinger is 100% to blame for this?  If she claims that he 'pushed' her, isn't there a chance that she might have 'pushed' him first? 

Just like everyone else mentioned, it is best to hold judgement until we learn more of what happened.  I will give Sully the benefit of the doubt until we learn the details. 

« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2013, 01:56:22 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
Terrence Williams got arrested and was cut thereafter.

I won't be surprised if Jared Sullinger is traded soon.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2013, 01:57:21 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Bummer.  If his chronic back issues weren't enough, this will most definitely kill his trade value.

« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2013, 02:02:52 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

I agree with this 100%.  In a situation where the victim doesn't claim to have been hit, has no injuries how do we really know that Sullinger is 100% to blame for this?  If she claims that he 'pushed' her, isn't there a chance that she might have 'pushed' him first? 

Just like everyone else mentioned, it is best to hold judgement until we learn more of what happened.  I will give Sully the benefit of the doubt until we learn the details.

The police reported that she had red marks on her chest when they interviewed her 10 hours after the incident--and saw her broken phone.

We don't really know the situation, but I don't favor his presumed version of events over hers.

« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2013, 02:16:36 PM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
The police report

« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2013, 02:27:56 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
The police report

Well if anybody wants to send Jared fan/hate mail, now you know his address.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 02:36:23 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2013, 02:29:07 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
From what I'm seeing, much ado about nothing.

I'm a bit appalled that seems to be the attitude going around this thread. Domestic violence often starts off as a push or grab here and there and escalates to more intense violence. This shouldn't be written off as much ado about nothing.

My younger cousin dated a childhood friend of mines - he was the sweetest kid growing up. You would never think him capable of doing anything violent. After awhile, he would shove her or grab her when he had too much to drink. Then when he was sober. Soon after, he started beating her. She always stayed with him. In 2010, he murdered her in front of their kids and then turned the gun on himself.

I'm not saying this will happen with Jared, but all of this "but he's a good kid, this is minor" is stupid.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2013, 02:29:40 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Well, all I can say is that this is disappointing.  And while several posters here are bending over backwards to brush this incident under the table, or make up possible scenerios where Sully did little wrong, it still looks fairly bad for the guy. 

He didn't seriously injure the girl, but once you put your hands on someone, it's fairly easy to take the next step.  Hopefully this is a wake-up call for Sully, and he looks himself in the mirror and stops any trend that may be present.

« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2013, 02:31:34 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

I'm a bit appalled that seems to be the attitude going around this thread. Domestic violence often starts off as a push or grab here and there and escalates to more intense violence. This shouldn't be written off as much ado about nothing.

My younger cousin dated a childhood friend of mines - he was the sweetest kid growing up. You would never think him capable of doing anything violent. After awhile, he would shove her or grab her when he had too much to drink. Then when he was sober. Soon after, he started beating her. She always stayed with him. In 2010, he murdered her in front of their kids and then turned the gun on himself.

I'm not saying this will happen with Jared, but all of this "but he's a good kid, this is minor" is stupid.
Pretty much what I meant, but more direct.

« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2013, 02:32:51 PM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221

I think that's the trend because he was so likeable and important to the team..I don't think we'd be getting the same responses if it were T Will (definitely didn't get the same reaction) or Jordan Crawford.

« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2013, 02:34:30 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I think there are two different discussions to be had here.

First, there is the discussion of what this means for the Celtics, and Jared's career. 

That is where I think it is much ado about nothing.  I think he will get off with a slap on the wrist, and will get a firm warning from Wyc that this is his one and only second chance.  But, I think this was minor enough (relatively speaking), that it won't derail his career or anything like that.

Then, there is the question of what this says about him as a person.  This part of the discussion, I don't generally participate in, because frankly, I assume every pro athlete is most likely a scumbag, and we just haven't seen them on the frontpage yet.  So, I could care less.  But, I know other people feel differently, and I respect that.  But, just because some of us won't sit here and judge him personally because of his transgressions, doesn't mean we condone domestic violence.