Poll

Is it safe to say that Kelly Olynyk was a good pick by Ainge now?

Yes
60 (63.8%)
No
34 (36.2%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Author Topic: Is it safe to say that Kelly Olynyk was a good pick by Ainge now?  (Read 29094 times)

Re: Is it safe to say that Kelly Olynyk was a good pick by Ainge now?
« Reply #195 on: January 01, 2017, 07:14:14 AM »

Offline Bostonborn62

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Hustle like Cowens or have a seat
I voted "NO" , Kelly's a Pillsbury Dough-boy, way too soft a body and character for the NBA, no spine. No ," in your face", "you can't stop me" mean streak, till he gets that , he will be nothing more than a marginal bench player AT BEST.

« Reply #196 on: January 01, 2017, 08:03:05 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
Here's an oxymoron for you: Kelly is predictably mercurial.  I don't think there has ever been a player that I've changed my opinion on so frequently.   He can't really be a sixth/seventh (maybe not even 8th) man on a great team because he can't reliably fulfill his role game to game.   I think the biggest thing has been an inability to learn how to compensate for slow, weak hands. As far as rebounding goes, I'm not sure there is any fix other than better position, which he's improved to a small extent -- but the only boards he gets (with a few exceptions) are the wide open or "ball found me" rebounds.   But on offense, his size is his compensatory "skill" and he continues to fail to recognize when he has room for his shot.  Thus, he hesitates -- or just as bad -- swings the ball without hesitation when his shot is plainly there.   His drives are agonizingly slow to develop and his clumsiness/weakness/slothiness with ball in his hands leaves me invaiably expecting him to lose the handle.   Actually, watching Jaylen drive earlier this year gave me a similar feeling, but you can see his drive-game starting to evolve in a way that Kelly's clearly can't.  As an 9-10th guy in a rotation, Kelly will make a positive difference on occasion, but the Cs need more consistency in a 6th of 7th man.  Therefore, I dont think he's worth more than 6-8M and I think they let him walk or will trade him.

« Reply #197 on: January 01, 2017, 08:38:38 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
When Ainge drafted Olynyk, I despised the pick. I thought KO would never make it in the league and thought he might have an Eric Montross type career where he was an okay role player for a while and then disappear. Now I dont think I was entirely right, but 4 years later, I dont think I was entirely wrong either.

Olynyk is really not much better now than he was as a rookie. He is soft, hesitant offensively, a poor rebounder, inconsistent and injury prone. He needs to go for a vet that can fill a very different role that this team needs, size that can rebound, rim protect, and score inside.

« Reply #198 on: January 01, 2017, 09:01:32 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
When Ainge drafted Olynyk, I despised the pick. I thought KO would never make it in the league and thought he might have an Eric Montross type career where he was an okay role player for a while and then disappear. Now I dont think I was entirely right, but 4 years later, I dont think I was entirely wrong either.

Olynyk is really not much better now than he was as a rookie. He is soft, hesitant offensively, a poor rebounder, inconsistent and injury prone. He needs to go for a vet that can fill a very different role that this team needs, size that can rebound, rim protect, and score inside.

You were entirely wrong.  He has clearly made it in the league, and he will be here for a long time.  He is better now than he was as a rookie, especially defensively, and he has had some really impressive games in his career while playing limited minutes due to rotation changes.

If I could have him change two things, it would be to stop committing dumb fouls (you can't block shots so don't try to) and to shoot every time he is open.

I will note that he is having a rough year so far shooting the ball and I am wondering if losing Turner - who he paired with on the floor often - has hurt his game.

« Reply #199 on: January 01, 2017, 09:29:11 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Kelly is very good 3 pt shooter, good handle for a big, good passer, good defender.  Needs to be more me first on offense. And consistent.    I see popovich wanting a guy with his skills sets so that to me says a good pick. 

« Reply #200 on: January 01, 2017, 11:11:46 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Kelly was having a very solid season off the bench last year before he got injured.  He looked comfortable.  He reduced his pump fakes while wide open and shot confidently from 3, better than 40% before his injury.  While he was never a good individual defender, his team defensive positioning improved significantly from his rookie and sophomore years.  He was a solid contributor.

That's what's most disappointing about this season.  His points per game, shot attempts per game, rebounding, and defense (from the unquantifiable eye test) have all regressed in a similar quantity of playing time.  He looks tentative in his play just like he did in his rookie season.  Soft as ever, if not softer.  Still pump faking around the perimeter and not recognizing that he's out there to spread the floor and shoot the ball, and that he's not there to create cute plays where he dribbles the ball like a guard and defers to other players.  He can't buy a call from the referees at either end of the floor because he's among the least physically and mentally imposing 7 footers in the entire league.  If he can't pull opposing centers out of the paint like he's supposed to, he doesn't deserve a minute of playing time.  He's definitely not out there for defensive and rebounding purposes.

All things considered from that pathetic 2013 draft, yes he was a good pick.  I voted yes because he's somehow better than many players selected before him.  But that's relative to that lousy draft and it doesn't mean that he's actually a good NBA player.

I was one of those posters who supported KO over Sullinger because of his developing offensive abilities and seemingly high basketball IQ.  And even if Sullinger is one of my least favorite Celtics of all time (in addition to his injury this year) I'm beginning to think that I was wrong.  I'm tired of watching KO play for us, and if he doesn't shape up soon I'm fine with letting him walk for nothing.

The 2013 draft has been wrongly labeled "pathetic."  It's turning out to be quite solid with one guy looking like a legit super star and a bunch of other guys who look like really good pros.

The 2013 draft is actually fairly good.
It was kinda pathetic. It was a horrible college draft.

A bunch of impossible to scout Euros came along and turned it into a pretty solid draft, but without Giannis Schroeder and Gobert its a miserable draft

But, those Euros do exist, making it a decent draft.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #201 on: January 01, 2017, 11:15:06 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

I think you've got to include the improvement he's made on the defensive end. It's fair to call him a good defender now. And he was garbage when he came in.
I think that Stevens concentrates so much on our rookies' defensive development that they are missing out on the opportunity to find their mojo on the offensive end. If you can't defend, you're not playing- is his motto.

I think now that he's comfortable on the defensive end, we'll see him adjust on the offensive end and get more comfortable. Part of me hopes that if he is going to bloom offensively, that it happens after we sign him to a new cheap deal.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #202 on: January 01, 2017, 12:29:32 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I think you've got to include the improvement he's made on the defensive end. It's fair to call him a good defender now. And he was garbage when he came in.
I think that Stevens concentrates so much on our rookies' defensive development that they are missing out on the opportunity to find their mojo on the offensive end. If you can't defend, you're not playing- is his motto.

I think now that he's comfortable on the defensive end, we'll see him adjust on the offensive end and get more comfortable. Part of me hopes that if he is going to bloom offensively, that it happens after we sign him to a new cheap deal.
I think hoping for KO to develop suddenly into something offensively is a pipe dream at this point. He has taken a fairly significant drp off on that end this year. His minutes are the same as last year but has has regressed to shooting stats he had his first two years in the league and has gotten worse rebounding the ball every year he uas been in the league. As for his defense, even his team defense isnt as good as last year and he still sucks as a defender in one on one situations.

Ko is who he is and hasnt moved his game forward much. He needs to go for a completely different type of 4/5, one that can play defense, rebound and rim protect. His 20 mpg would definitely be better spent with a guy like that.

« Reply #203 on: January 01, 2017, 12:44:27 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Can't see them re-signing Olynyk. He's OK if he's sitting on the perimeter either shooting or passing. When he goes inside, he's useless against other bigs. He plays small. That's his problem. But apparently Stevens likes bigs who play small. That's HIS problem. LOL.

« Reply #204 on: January 01, 2017, 01:31:39 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
No use for a seven foot man who avoids contact .....runs from battle ......stands and watches the ball.

Please trade him soooooon

« Reply #205 on: January 01, 2017, 01:34:51 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Can't see them re-signing Olynyk. He's OK if he's sitting on the perimeter either shooting or passing. When he goes inside, he's useless against other bigs. He plays small. That's his problem. But apparently Stevens likes bigs who play small. That's HIS problem. LOL.

He's not even OK if he's sitting on the perimeter, he up-fakes even when he's totally open. His game is very limited as a big. He's marginal at best. Signing him should be out of the question.

« Reply #206 on: January 01, 2017, 01:52:27 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Was he a good pick? Yes, without question. That was a tough draft to scout, as evidenced by the fact that the best players were all drafted outside the top 10. There are a few guys taken after him who are better, but a whole bunch who are worse.

But I agree with others that he has plateaued or gotten worse, and he's not a great roster fit.

I could see him having more success on a different team. New Orleans maybe or Sac, to provide spacing on a team with an offensively gifted center.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 02:57:36 PM by Boris Badenov »

« Reply #207 on: January 01, 2017, 02:04:03 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Olynyk is done. We have two guys stashed who are better.

« Reply #208 on: January 01, 2017, 02:04:35 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Was he a good pick? Yes, without question. That was a touch draft to scout, as evidenced by the fact that the best players were all drafted outside the top 10. There are a few guys taken after him who are better, but a whole bunch who are worse.

But I agree with others that he has plateaued or gotten worse, and he's not a great roster fit.

I could see him having more success on a different team. New Orleans maybe or Sac, to provide spacing on a team with an offensively gifted center.

If I recall correctly, wasn't it the Jazz who wanted him badly in that draft? He would still fit really well on that roster.

« Reply #209 on: January 01, 2017, 02:20:48 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

I think hoping for KO to develop suddenly into something offensively is a pipe dream at this point. He has taken a fairly significant drp off on that end this year. His minutes are the same as last year but has has regressed to shooting stats he had his first two years in the league and has gotten worse rebounding the ball every year he uas been in the league. As for his defense, even his team defense isnt as good as last year and he still sucks as a defender in one on one situations.

Ko is who he is and hasnt moved his game forward much. He needs to go for a completely different type of 4/5, one that can play defense, rebound and rim protect. His 20 mpg would definitely be better spent with a guy like that.

Exactly.

Softest 7-footer in league, totally inadequate on the defensive end and the glass.

Happily ship him out for Rent-A-Bogut.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."