Poll

Is it safe to say that Kelly Olynyk was a good pick by Ainge now?

Yes
60 (63.8%)
No
34 (36.2%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Author Topic: Is it safe to say that Kelly Olynyk was a good pick by Ainge now?  (Read 29098 times)

Re: Is it safe to say that Kelly Olynyk was a good pick by Ainge now?
« Reply #180 on: December 31, 2016, 08:42:34 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
All I have to say after the last few nights... LOL.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #181 on: December 31, 2016, 09:14:02 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Skills , but no heart for the game.   He needs to move on to another career.

« Reply #182 on: December 31, 2016, 09:31:07 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

no. KO is KO.   everyone wants him to be x,y,z.... he is who is , and brings a unique skillset for his height

imo he is not even a center or power foward but a power small forward.   

IT4 wouldn't have scored as many points he has had this season if it was not for KO.  All those picks, extra passes to IT4 ...

he is a key part of the team. 

However if the Celts lose in the 1st round again and he is either injured or a ghost,  and expects a fat salary,  Danny will just wave goodbye....   if he makes an impact in the playoffs, 1st round exit or not,  12-14 million per season is what i expect Danny to sign him for

« Reply #183 on: December 31, 2016, 10:14:00 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
All I have to say after the last few nights... LOL.
This...

No improvement in the last 4 yrs...jumps 4 inches off the ground..his freethrows are not even at 80%. I completely expect him to move on after this season...cant even overtake JJ in the depth chart department.

« Reply #184 on: December 31, 2016, 10:40:26 PM »

Offline rayallen_35_24

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 6
he's horrible....the sooner he's off this team the better

« Reply #185 on: December 31, 2016, 10:47:58 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
KO needs to learn to shoot a hook shot with either hand. That would help him tremendously.

« Reply #186 on: December 31, 2016, 11:03:38 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

no. KO is KO.   everyone wants him to be x,y,z.... he is who is , and brings a unique skillset for his height

IT4 wouldn't have scored as many points he has had this season if it was not for KO.  All those picks, extra passes to IT4 ...

However if the Celts lose in the 1st round again and he is either injured or a ghost,  and expects a fat salary,  Danny will just wave goodbye....   if he makes an impact in the playoffs, 1st round exit or not,  12-14 million per season is what i expect Danny to sign him for

You must be blind or not own a TV I guess ....sooner he is gone the better .....

I'm naming him Wimpy Kelly ....   I need a body guard while on the court.  Please don't let those big ol 7 ft players hurt me .   He is a joke .  Wake up,

« Reply #187 on: December 31, 2016, 11:28:55 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

You must be blind or not own a TV I guess ....sooner he is gone the better .....

I'm naming him Wimpy Kelly ....   I need a body guard while on the court.  Please don't let those big ol 7 ft players hurt me .   He is a joke .  Wake up,

Just to go along with your Trump thing (which seemed to go alright) I'd like to propose the following:

Wimpy Kelly (not bad)
Iron Balls Crowder
Bench IT
Drunk Shootin'  Marcus
Handles Bradley
Fishhook Jerebko
James 'the messiah'  Young
Trade-me-now-Brown
Rapin' Al (Wyc and the American People.. you can substitute in Ortiz here if you like :) )
Has-Been Johnson

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #188 on: January 01, 2017, 12:37:55 AM »

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2004
Kelly was having a very solid season off the bench last year before he got injured.  He looked comfortable.  He reduced his pump fakes while wide open and shot confidently from 3, better than 40% before his injury.  While he was never a good individual defender, his team defensive positioning improved significantly from his rookie and sophomore years.  He was a solid contributor.

That's what's most disappointing about this season.  His points per game, shot attempts per game, rebounding, and defense (from the unquantifiable eye test) have all regressed in a similar quantity of playing time.  He looks tentative in his play just like he did in his rookie season.  Soft as ever, if not softer.  Still pump faking around the perimeter and not recognizing that he's out there to spread the floor and shoot the ball, and that he's not there to create cute plays where he dribbles the ball like a guard and defers to other players.  He can't buy a call from the referees at either end of the floor because he's among the least physically and mentally imposing 7 footers in the entire league.  If he can't pull opposing centers out of the paint like he's supposed to, he doesn't deserve a minute of playing time.  He's definitely not out there for defensive and rebounding purposes.

All things considered from that pathetic 2013 draft, yes he was a good pick.  I voted yes because he's somehow better than many players selected before him.  But that's relative to that lousy draft and it doesn't mean that he's actually a good NBA player.

I was one of those posters who supported KO over Sullinger because of his developing offensive abilities and seemingly high basketball IQ.  And even if Sullinger is one of my least favorite Celtics of all time (in addition to his injury this year) I'm beginning to think that I was wrong.  I'm tired of watching KO play for us, and if he doesn't shape up soon I'm fine with letting him walk for nothing.

« Reply #189 on: January 01, 2017, 12:38:37 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I must say Kelly has been disappointing this season. His confidence is low. He has become more clumsy. Becoming a turnover machine. Commits dumb fouls. And his three point shot is very inconsistent. His trade value is negligible at this point. I was a supporter of him the last couple of seasons and felt his injuries stood in the way of his development. I am running out of excuses for him.

« Reply #190 on: January 01, 2017, 01:23:36 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Kelly was having a very solid season off the bench last year before he got injured.  He looked comfortable.  He reduced his pump fakes while wide open and shot confidently from 3, better than 40% before his injury.  While he was never a good individual defender, his team defensive positioning improved significantly from his rookie and sophomore years.  He was a solid contributor.

That's what's most disappointing about this season.  His points per game, shot attempts per game, rebounding, and defense (from the unquantifiable eye test) have all regressed in a similar quantity of playing time.  He looks tentative in his play just like he did in his rookie season.  Soft as ever, if not softer.  Still pump faking around the perimeter and not recognizing that he's out there to spread the floor and shoot the ball, and that he's not there to create cute plays where he dribbles the ball like a guard and defers to other players.  He can't buy a call from the referees at either end of the floor because he's among the least physically and mentally imposing 7 footers in the entire league.  If he can't pull opposing centers out of the paint like he's supposed to, he doesn't deserve a minute of playing time.  He's definitely not out there for defensive and rebounding purposes.

All things considered from that pathetic 2013 draft, yes he was a good pick.  I voted yes because he's somehow better than many players selected before him.  But that's relative to that lousy draft and it doesn't mean that he's actually a good NBA player.

I was one of those posters who supported KO over Sullinger because of his developing offensive abilities and seemingly high basketball IQ.  And even if Sullinger is one of my least favorite Celtics of all time (in addition to his injury this year) I'm beginning to think that I was wrong.  I'm tired of watching KO play for us, and if he doesn't shape up soon I'm fine with letting him walk for nothing.

The 2013 draft has been wrongly labeled "pathetic."  It's turning out to be quite solid with one guy looking like a legit super star and a bunch of other guys who look like really good pros.

The 2013 draft is actually fairly good.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #191 on: January 01, 2017, 01:40:53 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I'm probably the only one who likes Olynyk.

« Reply #192 on: January 01, 2017, 01:42:16 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'm probably the only one who likes Olynyk.

Nope.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #193 on: January 01, 2017, 02:17:48 AM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4

The 2013 draft has been wrongly labeled "pathetic."  It's turning out to be quite solid with one guy looking like a legit super star and a bunch of other guys who look like really good pros.

The 2013 draft is actually fairly good.
It was kinda pathetic. It was a horrible college draft.

A bunch of impossible to scout Euros came along and turned it into a pretty solid draft, but without Giannis Schroeder and Gobert its a miserable draft

« Reply #194 on: January 01, 2017, 05:51:45 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Kelly has been horrible this season, hence it will be interesting to see how much attention he is going to get once free agency starts in the summer.
Jack of all trades, master of none.