Author Topic: So I'll say it... The new scrolling advertisement is awful  (Read 24153 times)

Re: So I'll say it... The new scrolling advertisement is awful
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2019, 09:47:15 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Click on the request mobile site option in your mobile browser.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2019, 09:54:22 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Thanks. I'm actually having the issue on a laptop.

Mike

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2019, 10:56:29 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Hey guys, I do appreciate the feedback. Obviously the ads are there for a reason/ balancing act, but some of your experiences sound considerably worse than what is intended. What we want is a good amount of sponsorship that pays all the bills but does NOT interfere with your ability to use the site (other than a general distaste for ads, of course).

For me, I get the top banner everywhere (about 20% of the screen on mobile, maybe 30-40% on desktop but scrolls away.

Then, there is a "footer" which is the one with the fixed positioning that sticks to the the bottom of the page. Not my favorite personally.

Finally there are the two spots in the right panel.

I'm honestly not sure what the "scrolling" ad is if not one of those.

Can you guys do me a favor and forward me screenshots of the worst offenders, to admin@(this site)?

I'm also open to ideas. We've mulled over having an ad free/ paid version of the site, but I'm really reluctant to suggest anyone should pay for access to a forum as-is. Seems like a big ask.

One thing that IS in the pipeline is a mobile (and iPad) optimized version of the site, which should help to a degree with all of this. Just taking some time to get all of that done.

Thanks again for speaking up, I'm not bothered by complaints as I could rant for days about the state of online advertising and simply want the best for the site!

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2019, 10:58:24 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
Cant thank you enough for all the work you've done to preserve the Forums Byennie but I have to draw a line in the sand for my favorite website.

I don't know how it is on desktop, but the new scrolling advertisement on mobile is awful and there is no way I can deal with this as a daily user on Celticsstrong.

Scrolling through posts and I see a massive advertisement taking up around 4 post spaces before I get back to the conversation. It takes you out of the experience. Its maddening and absolutely unacceptable for this website.

Are scrolling posts really the only way that we can preserve these forums?  I don't know about the rest of you but If so I might be out.

i use ad blocker to block it all out on my laptop. hardly use mobile for this site
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2019, 11:08:21 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Do this look like the offender? I'm on a larger screen, but it looks like our provider for the sticky footer started inserting these square ads, which break the layout in unintended ways.

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2019, 11:12:37 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Get Ad Block Plus and use google chrome.

Just gotta deal with the wide page on your computer monitor, but it just takes a little getting used to. I'm already used to it.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2019, 05:14:11 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I haven’t noticed on mobile Safari browser.

On a brighter note I’m not getting the cable message congratulations pop ups or any connection error messages recently  :)

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2019, 05:20:08 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Do this look like the offender? I'm on a larger screen, but it looks like our provider for the sticky footer started inserting these square ads, which break the layout in unintended ways.

Thanks. Yes, the biggest issue I have is those big square ads.

Mike

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2019, 07:18:25 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Have not seen it on safari on tablet or phone.

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2019, 09:09:42 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
not sure if anyone else is having this issue today but having a significant problem with a large ad that keeps popping up in the bottom right of the page that blocks any typing in a reply section of the screen.  the ad can't be closed and unless the thread has room to scroll the reply box up the page (fortunately this thread does) past the top of the add, the reply box cannot be accessed.

anyone else getting this today or recently?

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2019, 09:23:47 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Really terrible and just gives me a headache.

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2019, 11:29:42 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
What's really odd is that on my laptop, there is almost always what appears to be a big rectangular opaque ad on the bottom of my screen. I say 'appears' because there's actually never any content in the rectangle and there is no way to close it. I find it most annoying when I am trying to click on the next page of a thread, but I've basically learned to just scroll down farther.

Now, I don't actually mind ads, but it seems strange that there is always something there that isn't even acting as an ad. Even more strange is the big all black area at the top of the site (on every page) that would be absolutely perfect for ads, but is always just a huge black bar.

I realize it can't be easy for byennie to be doing all of this for nothing - we really do appreciate it! Just thought I would add in my two-cents about something I haven't really seen on any site but this one.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 01:51:49 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2019, 01:01:48 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Been unable to modify posts on the desktop Mac on Safari due to the ads. It seems to freeze my page a lot. I guess I will refrain from using my laptop for this site going forward.

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2019, 02:33:16 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Been unable to modify posts on the desktop Mac on Safari due to the ads. It seems to freeze my page a lot. I guess I will refrain from using my laptop for this site going forward.

I have a desktop and have the same difficulty.

Unable to modify posts. It's very annoying.

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2019, 02:37:56 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
During the Indy game, I tried to post from my cell a few times but was blocked by a full screen Timberland ad that I couldn't minimize or escape from.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 03:44:53 PM by RJ87 »
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman