Author Topic: SI: Celtics could trade Brown+Hayward for Westbrook  (Read 13812 times)

Re: SI: Celtics could trade Brown+Hayward for Westbrook
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2019, 12:05:16 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
That would be a terrible, terrible idea.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2019, 12:07:53 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Danny has to at least consider the idea. A backcourt of Walker and Westbrook would be top 4 in the league, right up there with Golden State, Portland, and Houston. Three teams that have been perennial power houses in the loaded West, and pretty much exclusively because of their elite backcourts. I would move Westbrook to the shooting guard spot, and give him the green light to be on attack mode. I know we desperately want this idea that Danny has this long term plan with the Jay’s and all the picks. However, this is a players league now, and teams are now looking at closer to 4 year runs and then needing to reset.

I think we also need to be honest about Jaylen Brown. I really want to see him succeed and be one of the leaders on the Celtics. However, his basketball IQ hasn’t come close to his elite athleticism. And are the Celtics willing to match any contract offer when Jaylen becomes a restricted free agent next off season? I am a huge Hayward fan and do not want to see him go. However, will the rest of the guys on the team always see him as the coach’s pet, as long as Stevens is the head coach? Are we 100% confident he will be back to All Star form this upcoming season? If he actually does come back strong, does he opt out and leave because of possible chemistry issues with some of the guys on the team? I hate to see the Celtics be blindsided two off seasons in a row and lose another two players for nothing.

A very sensible post which echoes my views. Walker, by the way, is more of a shooter than an assist guy. Westbrook is a hi assist guy. It's a good combo. I don't think they see Brown as a max guy.

« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2019, 12:11:52 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
If it's SI, it's a semi-serious deal, so you have to consider it.
Its a speculation article searching for potential trades, there is no reporting behind the article.

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/07/06/russell-westbrook-trade-rumors-thunder-paul-george-free-agency

The op just put the aggregation article and trade machine link.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 12:16:53 PM by Fafnir »

« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2019, 12:27:04 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Celts would be giving up too much.

I know Hayward's salary would match, but I wouldn't include Brown as he would need to be our small forward.

I do think Westbrook makes sense in this regard:

We are low on bigs...so to compensate for that, what does Ainge do?

Stacks up on offensive firepower, thus a Kemba/Westbrook back-court.

Could I see Ainge POSSIBLY offering Hayward and picks for Westbrook? Yeah..I could.

But Hayward and Brown...I don't see that happening. This is also clearly a speculative article.

« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2019, 12:42:54 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
No thank you.

« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2019, 12:47:59 PM »

Offline Msimonetta2

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
I strongly believe Westbrook with his age/contract should be considered a negative asset at this point.  OKC should be simply looking to get out from under that contract and it would in no way involve the Celtics.

« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2019, 12:55:31 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I strongly believe Westbrook with his age/contract should be considered a negative asset at this point.  OKC should be simply looking to get out from under that contract and it would in no way involve the Celtics.

+1

« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2019, 12:57:38 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
A lot of things COULD happen; most of them won't. This is one of those. Zero chance we take him on.

« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2019, 01:08:07 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 89
SI, why you wanna Kemba and Brad cry, why?

I haven’t read an article of yours since I was a teenager, SI, and disingenuous ideas like this is why...and outgrowing the swimsuit issue.

« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2019, 01:31:12 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
We’d both like to think so, but... I’m just certain that despite everything you just said, Ainge has called about Russ.  And that deal starts at Hayward for salary and Brown or Tatum for the long-term.
I'm sure he called too, but I think it would be to see about facilitating a deal.

Hayward (on a potentially expiring) and Jaylen would be such a wild overpay though I'd be calling for Ainge's firing.

Ainge is gonna kick the tires on everything interesting but I just can't see him envisioning any scenario where Russ works with the remaining roster, Kemba and Tatum in particular. Looking to be a third team, absolutely.  Quietly feeling out the market for Jaylen because we're at best ambivalent about paying him what he'll get in a weak FA market, very likely.  But can't see it going this way.

« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2019, 01:52:45 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I disagree that Westbrook is negative value based on his contract.  I think there will be plenty of interest in him from teams around the league.  I think they can do better than Hayward and Brown.  I don't think Hayward is really what they want so other than matching salary, I don't see much interest from OKC in Hayward.  Brown is great return but they can do better than Brown and probably get more useful salary ballast than Hayward.

As for the Celtics, if I could trade Hayward and say Yabusele (I know he is now gone but what if), I would do it.  I don't want to give up building blocks (which I consider Brown to be one) but why not.  Hayward cannot take us to the promised land but Westbrook might be able to.  Yes, he stat-pads, but he is also a premier talent in the league.  Better than Kyrie for example in my opinion, or at least equal.

« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2019, 02:03:52 PM »

Offline Msimonetta2

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
Contract next 4 years—-> 38.5, 41.3, 44.2, and the kicker wait for it......47 million.  That is negative value imho.  What teams want to pay this...that need a point guard.....that can’t shoot.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 02:48:11 PM by Msimonetta2 »

« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2019, 02:08:14 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I disagree that Westbrook is negative value based on his contract.  I think there will be plenty of interest in him from teams around the league.  I think they can do better than Hayward and Brown.  I don't think Hayward is really what they want so other than matching salary, I don't see much interest from OKC in Hayward.  Brown is great return but they can do better than Brown and probably get more useful salary ballast than Hayward.

As for the Celtics, if I could trade Hayward and say Yabusele (I know he is now gone but what if), I would do it.  I don't want to give up building blocks (which I consider Brown to be one) but why not.  Hayward cannot take us to the promised land but Westbrook might be able to.  Yes, he stat-pads, but he is also a premier talent in the league.  Better than Kyrie for example in my opinion, or at least equal.

I am not sure about the negative trade value part.  It has to be close though.  Those last couple years of salary are stupid expensive (salary cap poison).

I just think that after we traded for Kemba, Westbrook is just a non-starter for us.  It isn't going to happen.  There are so many reasons why.

« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2019, 02:34:50 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I'm not a big fan of Westbrook, but people have to realize that this is a star league, and right now the Celtics have one star.
And Westbrook is a star. Riley and Ainge know that two stars are needed for a championship nowadays. Riley would give his eye teeth to get another star to pair with Butler. Westbrook paired with Walker would make the Celctics stronger, and Danny isn't getting any younger. It's been 10 years since his championship.

The Celtics get Westbrook, and all of a sudden the focus in the media is on them as a contender. Right now, they aren't among the contenders. Not bad, not great. A star is a star is a star. It sucks, but that's the NBA today, and that's the media.

« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2019, 02:52:00 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'm not sure what being a "star" has to do with basketball. Paul George and Westbrook were both "stars" and they won two playoff games total over two years.

The idea that the C's desperately need the media to believe they are contenders isn't logical. The C's and the media thought they were contenders last year and that didn't help anyone.

I have yet to see a convincing argument that the Celtics would be a better team by pairing Kemba and Westbrook. Personally I think it'd be a disaster.