Author Topic: NCAA makes changes to rules regarding agents, draft eligibility, etc.  (Read 5166 times)

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm not sure that these are going to make the NCAA feel less like a minor league for the NBA, but they'll be interesting to see.  I like the rule change about undrafted players being able to go back to the NCAA.

The NCAA adopted a sweeping series of policy and rules changes Wednesday that it hopes will clean up college basketball, which has been engulfed by an FBI investigation and other corruption over the past two years.

Among the significant changes that were adopted by the NCAA's board of governors and Division I board of directors are allowing elite high school basketball recruits and college players to be represented by agents who are certified by the NCAA; allowing eligible underclassmen to enter the NBA draft and return to school if undrafted; introducing more rigorous certification requirements for summer amateur basketball events; and imposing longer postseason bans, suspensions and increased recruiting restrictions for coaches who break rules.

Pending anticipated approval from the NBA and National Basketball Players Association, the NCAA will now allow underclassmen to enter the draft, participate in the combine and then return to school if they go undrafted. The only requirements are that they request an evaluation from the NBA Undergraduate Advisory Council before deciding to enter the draft and then notify their school's athletics director of their intention to return by 5 p.m. on the Monday after the draft.

The players who return would be ineligible for the NBA draft until the end of the next college basketball season

Agents: Effective immediately, the NCAA will allow college players to be represented by NBAPA-certified agents (the agents must become NCAA-certified no later than Aug. 1, 2020) beginning after any season, as long as they request an evaluation from the NBA Undergraduate Advisory Committee. Agents will be permitted to pay for meals and transportation for players and their families during the agent selection process and for meetings with pro teams, if changes are made to existing agent acts and state laws.

If the NBA and National Basketball Players Association change their rules and make high school basketball players eligible for the draft at age 18, as expected, they'll be allowed to sign with an NCAA-certified agent starting July 1 before their senior year of high school, as long as they have been identified as an elite senior prospect by USA Basketball.

More rule changes here:  http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/24320401/ncaa-announces-new-college-basketball-policy-including-agents-players-longer-postseason-bans

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: NCAA makes changes to rules regarding agents, draft eligibility, etc.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 06:33:22 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I fail to understand how allowing high school players to hire agents will cut down on corruption.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 07:13:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
A few of these rules have to be approved by the NBA and NBAPA. Wonder how that goes?

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 07:52:35 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I fail to understand how allowing high school players to hire agents will cut down on corruption.

Yeah, I mean, none of these rules actually shuffle even a small percentage of the huge profits the NCAA makes to the players. They could at least evenly split a small percentage of the profit to all players across the board or something.

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 08:10:11 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I think the idea is that NCAA-regulated agents will be less dirty than some of the people the kids are associating with now.

I'm not sure that I buy that.  It could in theory weed out the worst of the worst, but let's be real:  a lot of players are still going to the highest bidder.  This makes the NCAA less amateur-based, not more.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 08:13:53 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Yeah, I mean, none of these rules actually shuffle even a small percentage of the huge profits the NCAA makes to the players. They could at least evenly split a small percentage of the profit to all players across the board or something.

This one seems like a good rule:

Academics: Starting in August 2019, Division I schools will be required to pay for tuition, books and fees for scholarship basketball players who leave school and return within 10 years to the same school to earn their first degree. Only players who attended school for at least two years before leaving are eligible. The NCAA is establishing a fund for schools that are financially unable to pay for the players' education when they return.

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 09:59:29 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Turns out that the NBA, NBAPA, and USA basketball were blindsided by the NCAA announcement of rule changes regarding their involvement.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24324859/ncaa-new-proposed-rules-blindside-nba-usa-basketball-officials

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 11:56:05 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think in the end allowing good players who weren't drafted to return to college will improve the college game. That is why the NCAA did this.

Isn't the new rule that players deemed elite by USA basketball can now hire and agent and go back to school. I wish they would extend this to every player.

I'm curious how this will be handled by the NBA. Will players be able to get drafted then go back to school? Will NBA players that don't get drafted one year be eligible for the draft the next or will they become free agents when they do decide to come out?

I still think players should be paid, but I think this is a positive move.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 12:01:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I think in the end allowing good players who weren't drafted to return to college will improve the college game. That is why the NCAA did this.

Isn't the new rule that players deemed elite by USA basketball can now hire and agent and go back to school. I wish they would extend this to every player.

I'm curious how this will be handled by the NBA. Will players be able to get drafted then go back to school? Will NBA players that don't get drafted one year be eligible for the draft the next or will they become free agents when they do decide to come out?

I still think players should be paid, but I think this is a positive move.
USA basketball does not want the responsibilty of deciding which players are elite as they have a lot on their plate and couldn't rate foreign players who might be elite. See the link I provided.

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 12:04:06 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I dont believe any player in any college sports should get paid..they get a free scholarship!! My wife had to pay 40 grand while other ppl pay alot more on student loans
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 12:24:15 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Simple solution is just pay them/give them a contract then let them pay for there own tuition. Based on contract a college can negotiate rights like an NBA team.

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 12:26:43 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
I dont believe any player in any college sports should get paid..they get a free scholarship!! My wife had to pay 40 grand while other ppl pay alot more on student loans
I had a lot more than 40k in student loans and I still want the players to be paid. Just because colleges overcharges regular students doesn't mean that players that provide a ton of monetary value above the value of their education shouldn't be duly compensated.

I think of it this way, just because I got screwed doesn't mean that college athletes also should get screwed.

Simple solution is just pay them/give them a contract then let them pay for there own tuition. Based on contract a college can negotiate rights like an NBA team.
I like this idea. I would want the universities to provide low interest interest loans for any player that negotiates a contract below the amount of full tuition, or just have a minimum contract of the cost of tuition.

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 12:29:25 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I don't think they should get paid by the schools, beyond tuition, books, and some sort of cost of living.

I do wonder, though, if we should let kids sign endorsement deals.

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2018, 12:35:21 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

I don't think they should get paid by the schools, beyond tuition, books, and some sort of cost of living.

I do wonder, though, if we should let kids sign endorsement deals.
I'm fine with this alternative as well. The idea that players can't profit from the own name and likeness while a college athlete seems silly.

I've enjoyed the NFL less and less due to the recent politics, but the way the NCAA treats its student-athletes is probably worse than the way the NFL treats its players.