Author Topic: Thoughts of 2nd game  (Read 3201 times)

Thoughts of 2nd game
« on: October 20, 2018, 04:39:58 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
1.I hope Tatum's wrist is ok
2.Irving played hard and his touch was back some but not quiet there yet, a liability on D
   especially team defense
3.Kawhi didn't look like a superstar, very solid all-star level wing to me, not a good passer so we
   can consider to double when he switch on Kyrie or whoever need help
4.Brown defended Kawhi pretty well, he is good at these one-on-one defense, jumpers are
   promising but ft still very inconsistent as well as passing
5.AL defend Kawhi the best, but Valanciunas has his number, and on offense he didn't do much
6.Hayward took a huge step back to his all-star form tonight, best thing in this game
7.Rozier, he should drive (and kick)more on nights his shots ain't wet which isn't a rare thing

It's clear their offense likes to attack the paint and play inside-out games (and Kawhi iso), you can almost be certain they will pass out the first drive, first to corner and to the 45 angle.
It worked great against us so far, we need shot blockers (and rebounders) to welcome those drives in order to counter, maybe put Williams out there

In match-up perspective:
Morris x -not a good team defender to handle their ball movement and will mostly be contested jumpers on O
AL Δ -only but huge problem is Valanciunas always beat him on the boards, should be on Ibaka
Hayward O -Very effective on both ends against Raptors
Rozier x -not until he can attack the paint as Kyrie, should play only when he is hot
Kyrie O -I will take his O over his lack of D
Tatum O -just too good to not play
Brown O -put him on Kawhi
Baynes Δ -good presence in paint against Raptors, put him on Valanciunas but can't be on Ibaka if his shots are falling
Smart Δ -perfect on D but will need a rim running big to unlock his bread and butter PnR game, otherwise a minus on O

Overall a tough loss but not too much to worry about as we all know Brad will find a answer and now we have the final missing piece in Robert Williams

« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 04:50:11 AM by playdream »

Re: Thoughts of 2nd game
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 07:46:30 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I actually thought Irving’s D looked ok.  I remember a nice block he had during the game.  His offense looked really good.  He had that crazy up and under layup.

I disagree about Leonard.  IMO he looked like the top 5 player he was in the past.  A beast.  He had what around 30 points?

Great game by Horford. Near triple double.

Very encouraging signs by Hayward.  If he didn’t have his minutes restriction (say 34 minutes instead of 24) we might have won this game.

Rozier struggled at times driving to the hoop.  I wish he was better at this.

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 08:02:43 AM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 101
  • B's Up
I hate when we get into that switch everything on defense even though you aren't out of position or fighting through a screen mentality. There were so many times where there was no need to switch but we did anyways and got burned.

I felt bad for tatum, his 1st 3-4 shots were wet but were waved off due to a couple terrible moving screens they called and then the foul on baynes while he was shooting. I could've sworn it was if the foul was committed during or after the shot attempt it was an and-1 not after the release but either way he looked good out there all night. We are witnessing Jayson blossom into a stone cold killer right now and I'm loving it!
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 08:03:27 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Against the top 10 teams ,  Irving needs to play offense like a star ....otherwise winning is a 50/50 chance .

Hayward looked more confident .   His timing is returning .  We need his offense if Irving can't score.

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 08:26:30 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
3.Kawhi didn't look like a superstar, very solid all-star level wing to me, not a good passer so we

You must have feel asleep at the start of the second half when he was dominating us.

I think they have acclimated to the their new talent faster than we have to our returning talent.  I think we will be fine.

But it is clear to me, that they are a much bigger threat to us than Philly which is a pretender not a contender.

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 08:41:18 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
Most encouraging- Hayward, Tatum, Irving

Steady - Hofford, Baynes

Have limitations- Rozzier, Jaylen, Smart

Crazy (sometimes good, sometimes hurts you) - Morris

I agree with a comment above;  without Hayward minutes limitations, Cs would have won.  Cs looked so crazy good with Hayward, Irving, Tatum on the he floor.

Toronto got a lot of their points by driving to the paint.  Cs just couldn’t get a stop.  I think our offense is ahead of our defense....as crazy as that sounds.  Cs are going to be scary good when all cylinders are firing.

...having said that, Toronto is better that I expected.  I’ll have to watch them play a little more to make my mind up about them.

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 08:44:21 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

You must have feel asleep at the start of the second half when he was dominating us.

I think they have acclimated to the their new talent faster than we have to our returning talent.  I think we will be fine.

But it is clear to me, that they are a much bigger threat to us than Philly which is a pretender not a contender.
TP.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 09:05:18 AM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
It's going to take time for the offense to gel.  There was a lot of unselfish play which was nice to see, but they weren't really setting each other up for easy baskets.  Toronto's offense looked much more in sync. It's not something I'm worried about because as long as they have the right attitudes along with Stevens coaching them, they'll figure it out.

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2018, 09:06:40 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Kawhi was as effective if not more than LeBron against us. Kawhi was less flashy and did it without the ref's help but he did it. We still should have won but we had no answer for Ibaka and Danny Green. That is where we need to focus the defense next time and the Raptors did get some help on the Lowry charge calls.

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2018, 09:13:07 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney

We keep the lead until the middle of third quarter and it's no more than 5 point until the end of 4th
Guess he is dominating in your head instead

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2018, 09:15:50 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I've been a pretty big apologist for Kyrie Irving, but this was the worst defensive effort I've seen from him. He consistently got stuck on screens, lost his guy getting open for threes, and was taken advantage of in mismatches.

Given that it is the second game of the season and he is coming back from injury, I'll give him considerable leeway. He should improve throughout the rest of the year. I just wanted to point out (for all the Irving-haters) that there is an in-between ground between Kyrie-hate and Kyrie-fanaticism. 

I thought the same thing about Hayward, but not to the same extent.

I also thought that the Raptors had pretty obvious potential to be a very scary team defensively. They weren't there yet, but there were possessions where they looked awesome.

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2018, 09:18:24 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

We keep the lead until the middle of third quarter and it's no more than 5 point until the end of 4th
He was +17 in the game.  Scored 31 points and grabbed 10 rebounds.  That is a pretty darn dominating game.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2018, 09:21:18 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I've been a pretty big apologist for Kyrie Irving, but this was the worst defensive effort I've seen from him. He consistently got stuck on screens, lost his guy getting open for threes, and was taken advantage of in mismatches.

Given that it is the second game of the season and he is coming back from injury, I'll give him considerable leeway. He should improve throughout the rest of the year. I just wanted to point out (for all the Irving-haters) that there is an in-between ground between Kyrie-hate and Kyrie-fanaticism. 

I thought the same thing about Hayward, but not to the same extent.

I also thought that the Raptors had pretty obvious potential to be a very scary team defensively. They weren't there yet, but there were possessions where they looked awesome.
Irving has a crappy game and has a big + and the C's win.  Irving has a good game and is a huge - and the C's lose.  And I know it is just 2 games, but thus far Irving is making me look like a genius in all those threads when I claimed his value to wins and losses is greatly overrated on this blog.  and yeah, his defense is awful and always has been.  If I hadn't seen these performances for years, I'd be much more inclined to give him an injury pass, but this really is who Irving is and the fast this board comes to this realization, the better the viewing experience will be as this board won't collectively expect things to happen that just won't happen.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2018, 09:21:47 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
Kawhi was as effective if not more than LeBron against us. Kawhi was less flashy and did it without the ref's help but he did it. We still should have won but we had no answer for Ibaka and Danny Green. That is where we need to focus the defense next time and the Raptors did get some help on the Lowry charge calls.
31 point on 25shot(40%). 3ast 3to 1st 0blk is no where as effective as LeBron lol
And he got plenty of star calls , our whole team ft is 10 Kawhi had 9

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2018, 09:23:42 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney

He was +17 in the game.  Scored 31 points and grabbed 10 rebounds.  That is a pretty darn dominating game.
Well if by dominating you mean 31 point on 25 shots with 9 freethrows and a close game until the end then ok
also Ibaka+16 Green+25 Lowry+18, and his 10rebounds comes from 8 DREB which he basically fights no one to get it
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 11:16:17 AM by playdream »