Author Topic: Patriots 2018 Season  (Read 77322 times)

Re: Patriots 2018 Season
« Reply #135 on: November 11, 2018, 03:48:44 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
These guys suck today..

Some days you just don't have it.

Can't help wondering if this is how they'll go down in the playoffs.  Feels like a year where they just don't have enough weapons that can create separation.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #136 on: November 11, 2018, 03:58:23 PM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 101
  • B's Up
What are we the bills?! Everyone has been terrible but I cant remember a worse performance by a patriots o-line. I think we have like 25 rushing yards all game lol
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden

« Reply #137 on: November 11, 2018, 04:32:34 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The problem were the lines. The offensive line was awful. They gave Brady little time and opened no holes for runs. Looks like they are pretty banged up.

The defensive line was equally bad getting little pressure on Mariotta and allowing the Titans enough time to get open receivers in the most inopportune times.

« Reply #138 on: November 11, 2018, 06:53:17 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
New England's ability to make mediocre (or worse) teams look good is horribly good, today being just the latest example. Tennessee comes into the game only 4-4, has a mediocre QB and no legitimate offensive studs, and they put up 34 points. And the Pats looked terrible on offense. SMH

I know that I'm typically pessimistic with sports stuff, so take this with a grain of salt, but I'm gonna just say it: This is the end of the road for the successful Brady-era Patriots. Brady has declined. Gronk is too beat up. The defense is a joke. And it seems that Belichick has lost his ability to push the right buttons at the right time. I'm sure the Pats will make the playoffs, probably still win their division, maybe even get a home game in the first round, but that's as far as they'll go—I think there's a chance they could make the AFC title game, but they likely won't get even that far. Definitely no Super Bowl appearance. And the Pats might as well start looking for Brady's replacement for next season.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 08:21:25 PM by rocknrollforyoursoul »
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #139 on: November 11, 2018, 07:53:06 PM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • B's Up
New England's ability to make mediocre (or worse) teams look good is horribly good, today being just the latest example. Tennessee comes into the game only 4-4, has a mediocre QB and no legitimate offensive studs, and they put up 34 points. And the Pats looked terrible on offense. SMH

I know that I'm typically pessimistic with sports stuff, so take this with a grain of salt, but I'm gonna just say it: This the end of the road for the successful Brady-era Patriots. Brady has declined. Gronk is too beat up. The defense is a joke. And it seems that Belichick has lost his ability to push the right buttons at the right time. I'm sure the Pats will make the playoffs, probably still win their division, maybe even get a home game in the first round, but that's as far as they'll go—I think there's a chance they could make the AFC title game, but they likely won't get even that far. Definitely no Super Bowl appearance. And the Pats might as well start looking for Brady's replacement for next season.
I agree about gronk being too banged up and the defense being just terrible. But brady hasn't declined in my eyes. Hes still one of the most accurate qb's in the league. Not like hes throwing ducks out there. How many times did he hit guys in the hands and they dropped it on 3rd down today? Like 4 or 5. Or receivers just not getting to the right spot. There was a play right before halftime where on TV you can clearly see brady say "we just need 5 yards!" And then he tries to throw a 5 yard out to Hogan who just ignored brady and ran an 11 yard out like an idiot and then brady was p---ed.

Itll be just like every other year where brady puts a mediocre defense and abysmal o-line on his back and we start to get a little better come week 16 rolling into the playoffs

« Reply #140 on: November 11, 2018, 07:53:16 PM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • B's Up
We really needed to pick up a defensive back at the deadline. I'm pretty disappointed about not getting anyone

« Reply #141 on: November 11, 2018, 07:54:37 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I know that I'm typically pessimistic with sports stuff, so take this with a grain of salt, but I'm gonna just say it: This the end of the road for the successful Brady-era Patriots. Brady has declined. Gronk is too beat up. The defense is a joke. And it seems that Belichick has lost his ability to push the right buttons at the right time. I'm sure the Pats will make the playoffs, probably still win their division, maybe even get a home game in the first round, but that's as far as they'll go—I think there's a chance they could make the AFC title game, but they likely won't get even that far. Definitely no Super Bowl appearance. And the Pats might as well start looking for Brady's replacement for next season.
I agree about gronk being too banged up and the defense being just terrible. But brady hasn't declined in my eyes. Hes still one of the most accurate qb's in the league. Not like hes throwing ducks out there. How many times did he hit guys in the hands and they dropped it on 3rd down today? Like 4 or 5. Or receivers just not getting to the right spot. There was a play right before halftime where on TV you can clearly see brady say "we just need 5 yards!" And then he tries to throw a 5 yard out to Hogan who just ignored brady and ran an 11 yard out like an idiot and then brady was p---ed.

Itll be just like every other year where brady puts a mediocre defense and abysmal o-line on his back and we start to get a little better come week 16 rolling into the playoffs
TP, agree. Always here the line 'it's time we look for Brady's replacement' after a bad loss. I still have faith
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #142 on: November 11, 2018, 07:56:01 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!

Nah to be honest, you're pretty spot on. I tend to be a very optimistic guy but also someone who is realistic in his line of thinking too.

I think we just have to accept what this Patriots team is, an above average team that will still have a great season (anywhere from 11-5 to 13-3) but will struggle against the elite and unique teams where the lack of true talent/weapons will show on both sides of the ball. And by unique, I mean a team that may have the mobile QB and/or an area in their game where they are underratedly good (for the Titans, they had the #1 scoring defense going into the game, no small feat at all, and of course a fast QB like Mariota who can make plays in many different ways).

Belichick and Brady may still drag this team to the AFC Championship Game again, but they probably aren't beating KC or LAC or PIT (even if the game is at Foxboro). Kind of like 2013 and 2015 where they still made the AFCCG but again, being on the road hurt them and they looked mediocre in those games too (lack of true talent, as I said above).

I do think NE will still finish with the 2 seed with a 12-4 record (which includes a win over Pittsburgh in December so they'll hold off PIT for home field as they finish 11-4-1 IMO), but KC should still finish 14-2 (or 13-3 at worst) and have the 1 seed. Chargers may sneak in and win the division instead of KC, but even if not, they will still be a very dangerous wild card team in the playoffs.

The defense is a joke and yes, I'm getting sick of Gronk too (I mean I love him but at some point they need to make a long-term decision on him, even if it means him just retiring for his health), but while Brady has understandably declined a little, I don't think he's horrible ("falling off a cliff"). He'll still win us games but this O-Line is also looking meh at times and getting injured, which is not good for Brady and the offense. Belichick didn't do a good job this offseason IMO and frankly I don't think this defense has improved much from the same unit that looked putrid in the Super Bowl (ugh...). It's improved a little but clearly not good enough still.

Also just in general, we look great at home but this year we actually look AWFUL on the road. 1-3 and frankly all 3 losses have been real ugly (and the 1 win was super close too).

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #143 on: November 11, 2018, 07:57:13 PM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • B's Up
I still have faith as well. Still nothing wrong with being disappointed in lackluster performances. I remember in preseason where Pat's defense was supposed to be top 5, can we get back to that? Please? Lol

« Reply #144 on: November 18, 2018, 03:39:51 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Watching the Steelers-Jaguars.   Marveling at how Blake Bortles could have beaten the Pats.  He is dreadful.    Steelers can't muster any offense (yet) -- but with 9 minutes left and down 10, I'd bet heavily that the Steelers will win.  This jaguars team is awful (actually, Jags defense has played well) --  Bortles mostly. 

« Reply #145 on: November 18, 2018, 04:11:14 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
Watching the Steelers-Jaguars.   Marveling at how Blake Bortles could have beaten the Pats.  He is dreadful.    Steelers can't muster any offense (yet) -- but with 9 minutes left and down 10, I'd bet heavily that the Steelers will win.  This jaguars team is awful (actually, Jags defense has played well) --  Bortles mostly.

Well... sadly, called that one.  Jacksonville is just terrible.  Should have won easily.

« Reply #146 on: November 18, 2018, 04:21:56 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Yeah, that's a real shame. It's going to be hard to nail down that bye. Even Houston barely pulled out a win with the Redskins hitting the horizontal part of the goal posts at the buzzer.

We do have a game against the Steelers - hopefully we will have won all other games up to that point.

« Reply #147 on: November 18, 2018, 04:22:34 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Well... sadly, called that one.  Jacksonville is just terrible.  Should have won easily.
Blake Bortles really is fantastically bad
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #148 on: November 18, 2018, 04:35:12 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Typical for the Patriots. No one "gets up" for the Chiefs or the Chargers or the Saints or any other really good team, but they do for the Patriots. And the Patriots usually oblige, unfortunately.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #149 on: November 18, 2018, 04:41:16 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
Yeah, that's a real shame. It's going to be hard to nail down that bye. Even Houston barely pulled out a win with the Redskins hitting the horizontal part of the goal posts at the buzzer.

We do have a game against the Steelers - hopefully we will have won all other games up to that point.

Ben was horrendous for nearly 4 quarters.  Just played well on last drives.  Bortles is about one notch better than me.  And I'm 60 and not very good.  I can't get over that he beat the Pats.