Author Topic: Nets: Franchise with a Bright Future?  (Read 6601 times)

Nets: Franchise with a Bright Future?
« on: November 26, 2009, 08:41:34 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Right now the New Jersey Nets are off to one of the worst starts that a team has ever had in the NBA.  In fact, they are challenging for the worst start ever (0-18).  Nevertheless, assuming a couple of key (and not very certain) things, they could have a very bright future.

- Assuming the sale of their team to Prokhorov (Russian Marc Cuban) goes through, and they can begin building a new arena in Brooklyn, they'll have a new arena in a good market, and an owner willing to spend top dollar in order to win (including bringing in high-level coaching).

- Next year, they will have a very good chance of getting a high lottery pick (almost certainly in the top 4).  Currently, their team's biggest weakness is probably at PF.  They have a great young center (Lopez), but their frontcourt is pretty awful otherwise.  The 2010 draft so far looks to have a wealth of top-prospect PFs and C's (Favors, Aldritch, Aminou, Davis, Monroe etc).  If they got a guy with star potential at PF to go alongside Lopez, they'd be very formidable indeed.

- They'll also have a later first round pick (probably in the late teens to early 20's) from the Mavericks as a result of the Jason Kidd trade.

- They have a lottery talent at SG on their team already - Terrence Williams - who hasn't been amazing so far but has shown promise.  They also have Courtney Lee who has been very solid so far in his first year or so in the NBA.

- They have Devin Harris, who is relatively young and just last year made his first All-Star team.

- They will be one of the teams with the most cap space during the free agent bonanza next summer; even if they don't get the Holy Grail of free agents, LeBron James, they still have a good chance to get 1-2 guys worthy of $10-15 million dollar contracts.  Put that kind of talent alongside the young talent already on their team, and they could be a contender within a few years. 

- All of these points doesn't even consider the trade possibilities they might have with cap space for S&T's and what they might be able to get if they traded their lottery pick.

Nets fans might be cringing right now, but they could be looking at a turn around almost as nice as the one the Celtics experienced following the awful 06-07 season.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

Re: Nets: Franchise with a Bright Future?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 09:16:20 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1772
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Losing Harris was kind of like the Celtics losing Pierce for that horrible stretch back in 06-07 (I don't think Harris is as good as Pierce, but he is VERY valuable to that team). They are obviously a better team than a winless one, but to dig themselves a hole this deep can only help their future in terms of the draft. Harris and Lopez are very very good young players. If they can somehow manage to attract Lebron, Wade, or some other high caliber player, they will be on there way to success in the future...or at least a lot better than they are now...obviously  :D

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 09:23:06 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2417
A team with a lot of possibilities/options to improve ... we'll need to wait and see what options they eventually get/choose and how good those players are before talking about how much the Nets can improve over the next few seasons.

They have created a very good opportunity for themselves this offseason. Their front office deserves a lot of credit for that. They've quickly moved away from that Kidd-Vince-RJ era.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 09:59:22 PM by Who »

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 09:54:15 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
TP for nice post.  I for one would welcome the Brooklyn Nets back into the league.  Bring Lebron or Wade and we got a nice rival.  I have loved Harris since he was a rookie, sad to see him get hurt, but bright future.
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 10:17:37 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I'm convinced they land Lebron and maybe even Bosh. If they do and they get the 4th pick Aldritch or Favors would be my pick. If they get the top pick, I don't care that they have Harris, I would take Walls. Let him tutor a year with the stars under Harris then deal Harris. Great future though, especially if lebron lands there.

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 10:37:42 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2417
I'm convinced they land Lebron and maybe even Bosh. If they do and they get the 4th pick Aldritch or Favors would be my pick. If they get the top pick, I don't care that they have Harris, I would take Walls. Let him tutor a year with the stars under Harris then deal Harris. Great future though, especially if lebron lands there.
I was looking at their cap numbers earlier today. I reckoned they only had $19-24 million worth of cap space next off-season. Only enough for one max contract player + one role player or two $10 million players.

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 10:45:24 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I was looking at their cap numbers earlier today. I reckoned they only had $19-24 million worth of cap space next off-season. Only enough for one max contract player + one role player or two $10 million players.

That's still pretty good...think about it.

Let's say they only sign LeBron.

Devin Harris
MLE signing SG
LeBron James
Derrick Favors (or other top lottery prospect)
Brook Lopez
--------
Terrence Williams
Courtney Lee
LLE signing
1st round pick (from Mavs)

Pretty solid core.  That team wouldn't contend at first but they'd be a solid playoff team (like the Hawks a few years ago perhaps), and within a couple years they could grow into an elite team, assuming the young talent develops well.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 09:29:45 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I'm going with the assumption that the cap is not going to free fall all the way to $50 million and is going to land at about $54 million.

So the players they definitely have back will be :

Harris $8.891 million
Jianlian $4.05 million
Lopez $2.413 million 
Williams $2.214 million
Lee $1.352 million
Douglas-Roberts $0.854 million

That's a total of    $17.557 million.

I'm also going to go under the assumption that they renounce all of the following players:

Alston
Simmons
Battie
Hassell
Hayes
Williams

That leaves Josh Boone, Keyon Dooling and Eduardo Najera.

Boone is a restricted free agent with a qualifying offer of $2.992 million but a salary cap hold of $6.152 million if left in restricted free agency or just has the $6.152 million hold if sent to unrestricted free agency. For this reason, and the fact the have 2 first round picks, I say they let him become unrestricted and renounce him.

Eduardo Najera's salary for 2010-11 and beyond is only guaranteed for $500,000 if released and renounced. He will be.

Alston's salary is only guaranteed for $2.675 million in 2010-11 if released and renounced. Again, he probably will be.

That means we have to add $3.175 million in cap holds to the salary of the players coming back for a sub-total of $20.732 million.

That leaves first round draft pick hold that aren't assigned until the draft pick is made. Given the Nets record I'm going to assume a record of no worse than the second worse record in the league which assumes a draft position of somewhere between 1 through 5. That means their draft hold for their own first pick will be one of the following amounts:

$4,286.9 million
$3,835.6 million
$3,444.4 million
$3,105.5 million
$2,812.2 million

Since they also own Dallas' first round pick and Dallas is looking pretty good I am going to assume a finish somewhere between 21 and 30 for a salary cap hold range of between $1.089 million and $0.851 million. Though the salary cap holds could fluctuate between as low as $2.812 million(the Nets finish with the second worse record and lose the lottery while trading Dallas' pick) to as high as $5.37 million(Nets win first pick in the lottery and Dallas finishes at 21 in the league), I am going to take the stand they end up with 4th overall pick(mostly likely scenario by chance if they have the overall worse record) and Dallas will finish behind Cleveland, Orlando, Boston, Atlanta, LA, Denver and at least one other WC team and give the Nets their #23 pick.

So that's first round cap holds totaling $4.108 million that I will add, though remember, this number can change up or down some $2 million in either direction depending on what happens.

So, Who is right, it looks like the Nets will have about $25 million in salary cap that will include retaining;

Harris
Jianlian
Lope
Williams
Lee
Douglas-Roberts
A #4  pick
A #23 pick.

If the cap is at $54 million, as I suspect and said earlier and they land LeBron he will be limited to a max contract of 30% of the $54 million or $16.2 million in his first year. That is still going to mean that if he is signed their cap figure will be at about $41.1 million and will have $12.9 million in cap space or be able to extend a contract of 5 years and $75 million.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 10:04:32 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 09:37:06 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!

I'm going with the assumption that the cap is not going to free fall all the way to $50 million and is going to land at about $54 million.

So the players they defintely have back will be :

$0.854 million

That's a total of    $17.557 million.

I'm also going to go under the assumption that they renounce all of the following players:

Alston
Simmons
Battie
Hassell
Hayes
Williams

That leaves Josh Boone, Keyon Dooling and Eduardo Najera.

Boone is a restricted free agent with a qualifying offer of $2.992 million but a salary cap hold of $6.152 million if left in restricted free agency or just has the $6.152 million hold if sent to unrestricted free agency. For this reason, and the fact the have 2 first round picks, I say they let him become unrestricted and renounce him.

Eduardo Najera's salary for 2010-11 and beyond is only guaranteed for $500,000 if released and renounced. He will be.

Alston's salary is only guaranteed for $2.675 million in 2010-11 if released and renounced. Again, he probably will be.

That means we have to add $3.175 million in cap holds to the salary of the players coming back for a sub-total of $20.732 million.

That leaves first round draft pick hold that aren't assigned until the draft pick is made. Given the Nets record I'm going to assume a record of no worse than the second worse record in the league which assumes a draft position of somewhere between 1 through 5. That means their draft hold for their own first pick will be one of the following amounts:

$4,286.9 million
$3,835.6 million
$3,444.4 million
$3,105.5 million
$2,812.2 million

Since they also own Dallas' first round pick and Dallas is looking pretty good I am going to assume a finish somewhere between 21 and 30 for a salary cap hold range of between $1.089 million and $0.851 million. Though the salary cap holds could fluctuate between as low as $2.812 million(the Nets finish with the second worse record and lose the lottery while trading Dallas' pick) to as high as $5.37 million(Nets win first pick in the lottery and Dallas finishes at 21 in the league), I am going to take the stand they end up with 4th overall pick(mostly likely scenario by chance if they have the overall worse record) and Dallas will finish behind Cleveland, Orlando, Boston, Atlanta, LA, Denver and at least one other WC team and give the Nets their #23 pick.

So that's first round cap holds totaling $4.108 million that I will add, though remember, this number can change up or down some $2 million in either direction depending on what happens.

So, Who is right, it looks like the Nets will have about $25 million in salary cap that will include retaining;

Harris
Jianlian
Lope
Williams
Lee
Douglas-Roberts
A #4  pick
A #23 pick.

If the cap is at $54 million, as I suspect and said earlier and they land LeBron he will be limited to a max contract of 30% of the $54 million or $16.2 million in his first year. That is still going to mean that if he is signed their cap figure will be at about $41.1 million and will have $12.9 million in cap space or be able to extend a contract of 5 years and $75 million.

That's an excellent breakdown.  TP.

However, they need to start showing some heart and some new arena plans if they hope to land LeCrab.

I still feel that James stays in Cleveland, but my gut is not always the most accurate when it comes to predicting what others are going to do.

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 09:42:27 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
I actually thought they had a nucleus for this year and had them out of the lottery in my 2020 mock draft (who knew)....they do have a lot of dead weight as you indicated, but Harris and Lopez are a good two to build around.

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 09:55:27 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Racker...it's okay if your gut isn't always the best gauge. Heck, I broke my gut yesterday, so at least your's is working!! ;D

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 10:17:46 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
So, the question is, if my numbers are correct, what can a 5 year-$75 million contract get the Nets for the opportunity to play alongside:

PG: Devin Harris
SG: Chris Douglas-Roberts/Courtney Lee
SF: LeBron James/Terrance Williams
PF:             /Yi Jianlian
C:  Brook Lopez

and a top 4 pick and a number 23 pick?

If the Nets get the #1 pick and draft John Walls would they entertain thoughts of a sign and trade moving Harris/Jianlian/Lee and their #23 pick for Joe Johnson and the Hawks 2012 first rounder and still have a near nax level contract to give Bosh?

They could, if handled right, end up with a starting lineup of

John Walls
Joe Johnson
Lebron James
Chris Bosh
Brook Lopez.

Would Nets fans be dreaming about such a thing? Sure. Is it very likely? Not really. Is it completely impossible? No. It isn't.

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 10:19:39 AM »

Offline Quinn

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 28
So, the question is, if my numbers are correct, what can a 5 year-$75 million contract get the Nets for the opportunity to play alongside:

If the Nets get the #1 pick and draft John Walls would they entertain thoughts of a sign and trade moving Harris/Jianlian/Lee and their #23 pick for Joe Johnson and the Hawks 2012 first rounder and still have a near nax level contract to give Bosh?

John Walls
Joe Johnson
Lebron James
Chris Bosh
Brook Lopez.

Would Nets fans be dreaming about such a thing? Sure. Is it very likely? Not really. Is it completely impossible? No. It isn't.

They would inspire terror in all.
Practice? Whatchu talkin about practice?

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 11:07:19 AM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!

John Walls
Joe Johnson
Lebron James
Chris Bosh
Brook Lopez.

6th man: Brian Scalabrine. You get the point.

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 11:15:55 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

John Walls
Joe Johnson
Lebron James
Chris Bosh
Brook Lopez.

Not impossible but wow...that is quite the perfect storm.

I like the nets. If this happened I would not be angry. I wish however that they could win without Lebron but I like the Nets

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner