Author Topic: Rumour: Barnes may sign with Celtics  (Read 38254 times)

Re: Rumour: Barnes may sign with Celtics
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 03:09:10 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
Matt Barnes would be a great signing for a third string SF.

I am kind of shocked he'd consider coming here though with Paul Pierce and Jeff Green already in place at his position. He should find himself a better home. Barnes should go somewhere where he can still play regular minutes.
maybe because nobody wants him
I don't understand why nobody would want Matt Barnes. He played well for the Lakers. Solid backup SF.

I am really surprised by how little attention he has been getting this summer.

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 03:12:24 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Matt Barnes would be a great signing for a third string SF.

I am kind of shocked he'd consider coming here though with Paul Pierce and Jeff Green already in place at his position. He should find himself a better home. Barnes should go somewhere where he can still play regular minutes.

I am surprised too...but then again, this is what has been happening the last few years.  More and more of these veterans are getting squeezed for money and roster spots.  And when they know they are just getting the minimum, they would rather fight for minutes on a contender, than risk getting benched on a terrible team, so they can get their young guys more minutes.

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, 03:20:13 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I don't want Barnes on this team.  He has always been overrated.  Can't stands him. 

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2012, 03:29:59 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
I don't think he's good enough to make up for my extreme dislike for him, but that's just me.  I think his defense is pretty overrated and he's a below-average three point shooter, but he still accrues value as a role player through a lot of hustle.  Against good teams though, the lack of an above average skill besides rebounding makes him a bit iffy.

I didn't know before checking his stats but he's a great rebounder for a SF.  His total rebounding percentage has been in the 12-13 range which is outstanding.  He's hauled in a much higher percentage of boards playing SF than Green has playing PF.  His biggest effect might be helping on the boards.

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2012, 03:39:39 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
First, not sure I buy this but it is certainly possible.

We are so close to the luxury tax limit (which would mean we lose the BAE I think) that even a minimum contract could put us over.  If we can sign him for the vet min (he gets $1.3M, cap hit is only $854k), and stay under the tax limit, why not.

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2012, 03:45:01 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
First, not sure I buy this but it is certainly possible.

We are so close to the luxury tax limit (which would mean we lose the BAE I think) that even a minimum contract could put us over.  If we can sign him for the vet min (he gets $1.3M, cap hit is only $854k), and stay under the tax limit, why not.

We're over the luxury tax limit.  The question is whether we end up over the luxury-tax "apron" (which I think is ~$4M more than the luxury tax line).  Luxury-tax line is ~$70M, the "apron" is ~$74M.  The apron effectively acts as a hard cap for us, because going over that means we only have the $3M MLE to spend (not the $5M)...  and we already spent that on JET Terry.

My understanding of the numbers is that we've got room to spend on one more minimum contract, or maybe the BAE (but it gets a little close if we spend the BAE). 

People smarter than me; do I have that right, more-or-less?

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2012, 03:49:26 PM »

Offline Andrew Celtic Nation

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 105
Rooting for Matt Barnes is just something I can't do.

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2012, 03:50:15 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I would not mind Matt Barnes - at all.

At the very least, he'd add more toughness to this team.

Who on our team now provides that?

Every team needs one - that Tough Guy...the one who is in the game solely to stir things up - Matt Barnes is that guy.

I could care less who he played for....I would not mind him in Celtics Green - at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11glryBr8o4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKYMiaTnbNg

That first vid is why we NEED MATT - I think the last Celtic we had that gave THOSE kinds of fouls was none other than James Posey.

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2012, 03:55:42 PM »

Offline blastoidesroidsnoids

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
ya this is the kind of Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. we need not being sarcastic

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2012, 03:57:07 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
I'd rather give an un-tested Christmas/Joseph a spot on the roster over Barnes where we already know what we'll get.  I just don't think he'll contribute anything positive whereas with Christmas/Joseph you just never know what will happen.

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2012, 04:14:39 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
I would not mind Matt Barnes - at all.

At the very least, he'd add more toughness to this team.

Who on our team now provides that?

Every team needs one - that Tough Guy...the one who is in the game solely to stir things up - Matt Barnes is that guy.

I could care less who he played for....I would not mind him in Celtics Green - at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11glryBr8o4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKYMiaTnbNg

That first vid is why we NEED MATT - I think the last Celtic we had that gave THOSE kinds of fouls was none other than James Posey.

You haven't watched Jason Collins much have you?

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2012, 04:18:50 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

Yeah, but I doubt we'd see the lumbering Jason Collins trying to chase down a Corey Brewer, right?

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2012, 04:21:15 PM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
I don't care for Barnes. Would rather have Daniels back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lftX-W_Bkdk

In fairness to Barnes in that clip, Pierce pushed him first. Of course that could have been a consequence of things that took place between them earlier; can't know from the clip.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 05:05:07 PM by alley oop »

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2012, 04:27:04 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269

Yeah, but I doubt we'd see the lumbering Jason Collins trying to chase down a Corey Brewer, right?

No, but if I wanted someone to be here just to bring hard fouls, I'd just bring back Posey.

Point is, Collins also has some nastiness to his game and he will definitely bring some hard fouls. Maybe not on a fast-break, but the man doesn't mind committing fouls that make his opponents think, "Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. was THAT for?!"

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2012, 04:29:46 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Plus, the guy can play SG and SF..and a bit of PF, too.

http://www.82games.com/1112/11LAL9.HTM

Had a PER of 18.5 at SG..15.0 at SF.

You couldn't go wrong with that as a 3rd string....perhaps even 2nd string depending upon lineups.

If he agreed to the vet min and whatever role that Doc had for him?

Bring him in!