Author Topic: Horford free agency thread: Possibly leaving: Page 10  (Read 47868 times)

Re: Al Horford not exercising his player option
« Reply #105 on: June 18, 2019, 11:23:26 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
The Celts are probably a lottery team without Al, so hopefully he comes back at a reasonable figure.

All the reporting sounds pretty positive in that regard though.

They're not a contender with him at this point either.

Results are the same regardless.

They aren't the same though.   It's true that the Celts aren't a contender whether or not Horford returns.

However, the goal for the team right now is to develop Tatum and Brown.  We want to have the best version of those guys.

My feeling is those players, and the other young guys, are more likely to succeed and develop well if the team has a stable structure in place.  Horford provides that structure, on court and off the court.

If Horford leaves, that throws a lot of things into flux, including the team's game plan on offense and defense.  I would expect all the players on the team, including Tatum and Brown, to struggle to figure out how to adjust to such a scenario. 

Bottom line, name of the game now is maximizing the young players the Celts have on the roster.  Having Horford in place will help that.

I don't disagree entirely.

Not really sure how to feel atm. This rebuild has failed imo and now it just sucks.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #106 on: June 18, 2019, 11:29:29 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I think this is more of a positive sign than a negative one but he will be an UFA as of June 30 so in that, he can sign anywhere.   He may well test the market or look for a team more likely to contend.  I would.  He can also wait to see what Kyrie and others do.

I don't see it as the end of the world if he leaves.  If we sign him at say $23, is that really the best possible way to spend that money?  Even if a good deal now, how about in 3 years?

We lost out on Anthony Davis.  That is the big blow.  I like Horford but not overly concerned either way now that it looks like we are going to lose Kyrie.  If Kyrie does re-sign, I would see it as more important to keep Al.  We would have no money to replace Al if we sign Kyrie so losing him would mean losing the salary slot.

« Reply #107 on: June 18, 2019, 11:29:59 AM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
In b4 he signs with Golden State

« Reply #108 on: June 18, 2019, 11:30:59 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
In b4 he signs with Golden State
You think he's taking the taxpayer MLE?

« Reply #109 on: June 18, 2019, 11:47:28 AM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
IF we lose AL, maybe we throw an almost max at Durant, knowing he sits for a year.  We tank for that year and try to pull a SA with Duncan/robinson.  I'm mostly joking, but not totally.

« Reply #110 on: June 18, 2019, 11:51:34 AM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
If I were Philly I'd offer Big Al a three year Max contract 9$30 to $35 per year?, whatever the Max is for Al). It would simultaneously take away One of Embiid's most difficult match ups and create a monster front line for Philly. They then resign Butler and use their mid-level on Danny Green, which he would probably take, IF, Kawhi Leonard leaves for one of the LA teams. That, would be the worst case scenario. I would be all over that move if I were Philly.

Now, I 100% would want Al to re-sign in Boston, hope he does and think he will. But that's a scenario that could rear it's head before Sunday.

« Reply #111 on: June 18, 2019, 11:57:24 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
If I were Philly I'd offer Big Al a three year Max contract 9$30 to $35 per year?, whatever the Max is for Al). It would simultaneously take away One of Embiid's most difficult match ups and create a monster front line for Philly. They then resign Butler and use their mid-level on Danny Green, which he would probably take, IF, Kawhi Leonard leaves for one of the LA teams. That, would be the worst case scenario. I would be all over that move if I were Philly.

Now, I 100% would want Al to re-sign in Boston, hope he does and think he will. But that's a scenario that could rear it's head before Sunday.
I think Al's max starts at $38m, so I would be very surprised to see him get offered it
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #112 on: June 18, 2019, 12:03:14 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Just don't sign with the Lakers, Al. That would be horrible.
I think they'll be pretty focused on adding perimeter players.

They have two forwards Kuzma/LBJ who both are best at the 4 and Anthony Davis. So they need guards and wings who can play the 2/3 defensively.

I think they'll have to pick up Carmelo Anthony. Dang, what a stacked team. Lakers are a serious threat to win it all next year

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #113 on: June 18, 2019, 12:03:35 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
If Al does resign here I would have to think that Ainge is going to make some kind of move for a younger big man (Brown for Capela type deal, try to draft a brown type replacement (PJ Washington?) with one of our picks and then use the mid level on another good veteran. Maybe restructuring Al's deal also gives a little more cap room?

What if this happened?
Big Al resigns for three years
Brown & Rozier for Capela
Kyrie resigns
Use our draft choices
Capela/Horford/Tatum/Hayward/Irving | Baynes/Theis/Morris/Smart/Mid Level  | Robert Williams, Wanamaker, Ojeleye and some combination of our draft picks, mayne the 14th and we combine the 20th and 22nd to move up to the 17th or 18th spot to draft one player?

« Reply #114 on: June 18, 2019, 12:04:52 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Means he either signs a new contract up to the $37.5M max salary
Or goes somewhere else
If so, it's fair to say that the off-season couldn't be going worse for the Celtics and it's only June 18th.

I guess it depends on your expectations. I am happy Kyrie is leaving and very happy they didn't try to force AD into here knowing he'll probably go elsewhere after a season.

I am really hoping Al sticks around though.

« Reply #115 on: June 18, 2019, 12:06:57 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
"I think Al's max starts at $38m, so I would be very surprised to see him get offered it"

Maybe not the Max but something bigger than $22 to $25, maybe $30. With them having Embiid, Simmons and Butler in place they could afford to overpay for a few years. I'm not saying I'd like this to happen but it wouldn't surprise me   

« Reply #116 on: June 18, 2019, 12:11:36 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think this is more of a positive sign than a negative one but he will be an UFA as of June 30 so in that, he can sign anywhere.   He may well test the market or look for a team more likely to contend.  I would.  He can also wait to see what Kyrie and others do.

I don't see it as the end of the world if he leaves.  If we sign him at say $23, is that really the best possible way to spend that money?  Even if a good deal now, how about in 3 years?

We lost out on Anthony Davis.  That is the big blow.  I like Horford but not overly concerned either way now that it looks like we are going to lose Kyrie.  If Kyrie does re-sign, I would see it as more important to keep Al.  We would have no money to replace Al if we sign Kyrie so losing him would mean losing the salary slot.

Yeah, it pretty much is the best way to spend that money.  Most importantly, whether Al gets $18 million a year or $23 million a year, the Celtics probably have an identical roster for the next three years, because those extra dollars won’t matter for cap or tax purposes, even in year 3.

Under about $18 million, there are options where the C’s now have cap room more than the MLE, up to $27 million according to Bobby marks.  It’s not very hard to get up to a max player from $27 million.  But what max player is going to come here?  Do you risk losing Horford, because he decides to look elsewhere while you wait, and missing out on that player when he chooses a different team?  With Jaylen’s rookie deal ending, there won’t be max space to carry over to next season if you miss out this year.

So in that case, where you miss out on the max player, you get 2-3 players who make a combined total of $27 million.  This compares to a world in which you keep Al, resign one of Rozier and Morris, and use the MLE and BAE, also for near $27 million.

Unless you’re positive there’s a younger guy waiting for you to offer him a max deal, then you absolutely pay the money to keep Al, because there is no better way to spend it.

« Reply #117 on: June 18, 2019, 12:12:17 PM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
The Celts are probably a lottery team without Al, so hopefully he comes back at a reasonable figure.

All the reporting sounds pretty positive in that regard though.

They're not a contender with him at this point either.

Results are the same regardless.

We weren't a contender with Kyrie.  He represents a good player to support whatever high value FA DA can coax here in the next 1-2 years.

« Reply #118 on: June 18, 2019, 12:30:05 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

Yeah, it pretty much is the best way to spend that money.  Most importantly, whether Al gets $18 million a year or $23 million a year, the Celtics probably have an identical roster for the next three years, because those extra dollars won’t matter for cap or tax purposes, even in year 3.

Under about $18 million, there are options where the C’s now have cap room more than the MLE, up to $27 million according to Bobby marks.  It’s not very hard to get up to a max player from $27 million.  But what max player is going to come here?  Do you risk losing Horford, because he decides to look elsewhere while you wait, and missing out on that player when he chooses a different team?  With Jaylen’s rookie deal ending, there won’t be max space to carry over to next season if you miss out this year.

So in that case, where you miss out on the max player, you get 2-3 players who make a combined total of $27 million.  This compares to a world in which you keep Al, resign one of Rozier and Morris, and use the MLE and BAE, also for near $27 million.

Unless you’re positive there’s a younger guy waiting for you to offer him a max deal, then you absolutely pay the money to keep Al, because there is no better way to spend it.

Also even if you didn't have to pay Jaylen, next years free agent class is notably lacking in high end max level talent. Theres really not much point in trying to carry over cap space. 

But ya this approach is clearly the best in terms of maximizing the talent we can bring in.

Horford+Rozier(Or Morris)+MLE+BAE is more likely than not better than what you will do with 27 million in cap space.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 12:37:26 PM by keevsnick »

« Reply #119 on: June 18, 2019, 01:08:39 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Haven't read the entire thread but I do not see Al giving the team THAT much of a discount under the current circumstances.  I would assume he opted out to get paid, not take one for the team.  I'd expect he would be looking for 3 years and 75 mil minimum, and think he will want more.