Author Topic: Trade for Nerlens Noel  (Read 6946 times)

Re: Trade for Nerlens Noel
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 03:34:08 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Here my offer. Five second rounders lol.

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2016, 03:34:46 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
FYI Celts can't protect that pick. Once a pick is traded with protections those protections can't be changed.

Nets 1st with top 2 protection, plus our pick this year, plus Philly's 2nd this year, plus filler/flyers. Noel could make this team a defensive juggernaut for several years. Smart, Bradley, Crowder, Amir, Noel as a legit shutdown defensive unit when needed. If we win the #1 pick, plug in Simmons at PF, if we win #2, plug in Ingram at SF and move Crowder to PF. Isaiah and Kelly start/sub in for offensive purposes. Signing a 3rd tier star or trading for a superstar still on the table.

Noel would be perfect. We'd threaten whatever the records are for forcing turnovers. We'd be miserable for fine-tuned top offenses to play. And we'd still be good enough on offense ourselves. Stevens would love working Noel's passing into the system.

The pick was traded with zero protections. Did you forget that, or am I bringing you belated good news? Same for the 2018 Brooklyn 1st. The C's can protect each pick however they want in future trades.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2016, 03:34:52 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
I'd like to know what Philly would want for Embiid.

My guess is a 4th, 5th, and 6th doctor's opinion ?

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2016, 03:42:45 PM »

Offline ABOS (A bit of Sanity)

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
I miss spoke once a pick is traded protections can't be added too it. That's from Bobby Marks who I trust more then your opinion no offense.

FYI Celts can't protect that pick. Once a pick is traded with protections those protections can't be changed.

Nets 1st with top 2 protection, plus our pick this year, plus Philly's 2nd this year, plus filler/flyers. Noel could make this team a defensive juggernaut for several years. Smart, Bradley, Crowder, Amir, Noel as a legit shutdown defensive unit when needed. If we win the #1 pick, plug in Simmons at PF, if we win #2, plug in Ingram at SF and move Crowder to PF. Isaiah and Kelly start/sub in for offensive purposes. Signing a 3rd tier star or trading for a superstar still on the table.

Noel would be perfect. We'd threaten whatever the records are for forcing turnovers. We'd be miserable for fine-tuned top offenses to play. And we'd still be good enough on offense ourselves. Stevens would love working Noel's passing into the system.

The pick was traded with zero protections. Did you forget that, or am I bringing you belated good news? Same for the 2018 Brooklyn 1st. The C's can protect each pick however they want in future trades.

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2016, 03:48:40 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think Okafor is likely to fetch Philly a bigger haul than Noel, and Noel is a better fit with the type of team it seems that they want to build there (not to mention probably a better fit with Dario Saric, whenever he comes over).

Based on that, I think Philly is more likely to trade Okafor than Noel.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2016, 03:51:44 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I miss spoke once a pick is traded protections can't be added too it. That's from Bobby Marks who I trust more then your opinion no offense.

Thank you.

I don't want to be **** but I think people need to read and acknowledge this fact.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2016, 04:03:16 PM »

Offline ABOS (A bit of Sanity)

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
If you take a second to think about it, it doesn't make sense too be able to add protections.

Hypothetically if we  traded the pick too PHI and we could top 2 protect it.

If the lottery was favorable we would get the BKN pick in 2016 and then BKN would still owe philly a first rounder?

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2016, 04:10:39 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
If you take a second to think about it, it doesn't make sense too be able to add protections.

If the lottery was favorable we would get the BKN pick in 2016 and then BKN would still owe philly a first rounder?

Per @LarryCoon (twitter) "Boston can NOT change the protection on the Brooklyn pick if they re-trade it."

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2016, 05:11:37 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

Per @LarryCoon (twitter) "Boston can NOT change the protection on the Brooklyn pick if they re-trade it."

Really? [dang], my bad. I was just looking at his CBA FAQ, and didn't see anything that would apply. But I take Larry Coon's word as gospel, so...[dang]. Can't change means can't add to zero. [dang].

So...would I trade the unprotected Nets 1st in a Noel package? Ehhhh...maybe, but probably not? But...maybe? He's going to be a defensive force, in fact he already is one, and he would be perfect on this Celtics squad. But if you can win the Simmons sweepstakes, then this Celtics squad would be subject to massive rearrangement, anyway, so then Noel fitting perfectly with what they are now becomes irrelevant.

But...ugh, Noel would be so, so perfect. The most versatile defender in the league, already. We'd have the best defense in the league. We'd instantly be contenders. Noel is the best halfway-available thing for us right now, not just in the long term but the short term, too. Better for us than Love, better for us than Horford, better for us than Howard. (I'm assuming Cousins is unavailable.)

So...is he worth a 15% chance of Simmons? Uhhh...such a tough call...yes, I'm going to go with yes. I've talked myself into it, lol. I think he could be special here, the special ingredient that could get the C's past the Cavs, maybe even past the Warriors/Spurs, as soon as next season.

So, give Philly the Nets 1st, whatever filler combo of Zeller/Jerebko/Rozier/Mickey they want, and that's it. No other picks should be necessary. Core of the Celtics is unchanged. Just adding a DPOY-type freak center to what's already a top 3 defense but which struggles with defensive rebounding, rim protection, and pick switches. Perfect, right?

Isaiah
Smart, Bradley
Crowder, Turner
Olynyk, Amir
Noel, Sully

We'd still have room to convert Lee plus 2-3 picks into a star upgrade at one of the other positions, too. Or an upgrade using Amir in the offseason, etc.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 05:17:20 PM by Dino Pitino »

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2016, 05:43:47 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

D'oh, that makes perfect sense.
Thanks, and sorry for "correcting" you.

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2016, 10:36:00 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I think Okafor is likely to fetch Philly a bigger haul than Noel, and Noel is a better fit with the type of team it seems that they want to build there (not to mention probably a better fit with Dario Saric, whenever he comes over).

Based on that, I think Philly is more likely to trade Okafor than Noel.
I'd agree except they have Okafor on the rookie for two extra years and since they aren't competing any time soon I think that will weigh heavily.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip