Author Topic: Rumor: Celtics among teams interested in Davis Bertans  (Read 5625 times)

Rumor: Celtics among teams interested in Davis Bertans
« on: January 06, 2020, 04:34:57 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Despite GM comments, Wizards continue to field calls for Davis Bertans

Wizards general manager Tommy Sheppard was sincere in his comments last month about his intentions to re-sign sharpshooting forward Davis Bertans this summer, but that hasn't stopped teams from showing interest ahead of the Feb. 6 NBA trade deadline.

In addition to the Sixers, Hawks and Lakers, the Celtics and Nuggets have emerged as suitors for Bertans' services, NBC Sports Washington has learned. Bertans, 27, has enjoyed a breakout season, averaging 15.4 points and 4.9 rebounds while shooting 43.4 percent from three on 8.6 attempts per game.

Those last numbers are key. Bertans has established himself as one of the best three-point shooting big men in the NBA. He is on an expiring contract and thus has become a key trade target for teams in need of shooting.

How much the Wizards will actually entertain offers is unclear. He is one of their best players and the fact he has become one of the best catch-and-shoot scorers in the NBA is particularly enticing given the offensive style they like to play.

Many believe Bertans could make $15 million or more annually on his next contract, but the Wizards could pay him that if they choose to with Ian Mahinmi's $15.5 million salary set to come off the books.

The Wizards will play two of the teams that have targeted Bertans this week, the Celtics and Hawks. Bertans, though, remains out with a right quad injury and will miss at least their game against Boston.

That injury is healed to the point Bertans is expected to return soon and likely by the end of the weekend, according to one person familiar with his recovery. If Bertans comes back soon and plays like he did before the injury, the trade interest will only continue to heat up.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/despite-gm-comments-wizards-continue-field-calls-davis-bertans

Re: Rumor: Celtics among teams interested in Davis Bertans
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 04:42:50 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
liked Bertans early in his career.  wonder what the supposed offer for him would be for the C's?  can't imagine we'd be offering much particularly with that expected pay bump next year.

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 04:43:53 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
He would fit in well helping to spread the floor and is a former Spurs player so he already has been drilled in playing the right way.

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 04:46:42 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Would be a massive pick up for this team. This team has no dead eye shooters and could certainly use one.

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 04:52:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
He is probably better than anyone we would draft with the Memphis pick so matching salary and that pick is a good place to start to bring him in and control his long term rights.

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 04:53:01 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
I'm certainly interested in Bertans. Doesn't do much to shore up the frontline (size notwithstanding, he's not exactly the big man people are clamoring for) but would represent the other path to take us deeper into contention, which is scoring punch and depth off the bench.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2020, 04:55:29 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
Poirier + Semi Ojeyele + 2020 Bucks 1st would work I believe according to the Trade Machine.

Other than that it's hard to find another way to match salaries since we need to send out ~4.5M and it's not obviously like we're giving up a Theis or Kanter.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2020, 04:59:38 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Poirier + one of Edwards, Williams, Williams, Ojeleye, or Wanamaker gets it done salary-wise.

They probably want draft compensation too. I'd be willing to give a protected first that converts to two seconds for Bertans. He's a good player on a sizable contract that could be retraded at some point down the line.

As another aside, if they traded two-for-one, it would open up a roster spot for Evan Turner, who is a good teammate, veteran presence, and gives us another ball-handler.

As another aside, if Ainge wanted to trade Smart for a big, he could without giving up depth if they signed Evan Turner.

For example:

1. Poirier and Ojeleye (and a protected first) for Bertans

2. Sign Evan Turner

3. Smart and Edwards to the Wolves, Covington and Memphis pick to Pacers, Turner to the Celtics

Celtics Roster
Turner-Theis-Kanter
Tatum-Bertans-Williams-Williams
Brown-Langford-Green
Hayward-Turner
Walker-Wanamaker-Waters

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2020, 05:02:25 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
He is probably better than anyone we would draft with the Memphis pick so matching salary and that pick is a good place to start to bring him in and control his long term rights.
He will be an unrestricted FA. We'd have bird rights, but no team control.

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2020, 05:05:51 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Didn't realize this. The trade machine has him for two years.

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2020, 05:10:51 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Poirier + one of Edwards, Williams, Williams, Ojeleye, or Wanamaker gets it done salary-wise.

They probably want draft compensation too. I'd be willing to give a protected first that converts to two seconds for Bertans. He's a good player on a sizable contract that could be retraded at some point down the line.

As another aside, if they traded two-for-one, it would open up a roster spot for Evan Turner, who is a good teammate, veteran presence, and gives us another ball-handler.

As another aside, if Ainge wanted to trade Smart for a big, he could without giving up depth if they signed Evan Turner.

For example:

2. Sign Evan Turner

3. Smart and Edwards to the Wolves, Covington and Memphis pick to Pacers, Turner to the Celtics

Celtics Roster
Turner-Theis-Kanter
Brown-Langford-Green
Hayward-Turner
Walker-Wanamaker-Waters
Smart + Edwards + Memphis pick for Turner?

Don't know man. It feels like an overpay.

I'd probably do it without the pick though. I would be hating myself for trading Smart, but I'd probably pull the trigger.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 05:26:07 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2020, 05:14:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Don't know why but thought he was restricted. Oh well, then yeah, the Memphis pick is too much.

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2020, 05:15:33 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Bird or early Bird?

If the latter,  it's even more likely we would lose him, and I can't see giving up anything of real value just for a rental.

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2020, 05:19:41 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
I wouldn't mind having him, but color me skeptical. He has all the same production as last year in San Antonio, except Washington lets him run for 30 minutes instead of 20. He doesn't seem to be much of a defender, and will be seeking a big contract in 1/2 season. We'd have to trade 2 players for him, or someone like Theis or Kanter or Langford (no way).

Theoretically, Semi and Poirier and a marginal pick? And then he comes here to take a huge cut in playing time?

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2020, 05:28:47 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

For example:

2. Sign Evan Turner

Celtics Roster
Turner-Theis-Kanter
Brown-Langford-Green
Hayward-Turner
Walker-Wanamaker-Waters

I’m pretty sure that Poirier+Edwards is a couple hundred k short of what’s needed to match for Bertans.  That said, I’d be on board with Poirier-Ojeleye and our pick (top-20 protected) or the Milwaukee pick, or Poirier-Rob Williams, no pick included.

But I’m not trading Smart for Miles Turner, straight up, much less adding our best pick.