Author Topic: Idea: Swap with Philly  (Read 5083 times)

Re: Idea: Swap with Philly
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2020, 09:54:04 AM »

Offline ihatelakers

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
 some bench help at the trade deadline and this team is as good as anyone in the league, if not the best.

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2020, 09:59:06 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Preface:
   I probably would not do this
   I imagine neither team would do this

This is the most baffling part of the proposal for me, even more than the trade itself.  If you really feel this way, then why on earth would you post this?
looking at the preface again, I'm pretty confident Philly does this without hesitation.  They get the 2 best players in the deal. 

Simmons has talent but if he can't or won't shoot from outside 10 feet, it greatly reduces him as an asset on offense.  Kemba and Jaylen are both 20pt per game scorers that are very good defenders and neither is afraid to shoot from outside.

love Al for what he brought to this team in the past 3 years but he's clearly the least valued asset in this deal.

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2020, 10:10:05 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
What on earth....this is awful. Why would the Cs do this?

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2020, 10:11:00 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
How about Simmons for Kemba, straight up?

Simmons play point center for us.

This is at least worthy of discussion, and not outright dismissal.

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2020, 10:15:22 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't think our offense functions all that well without Kemba. I wouldn't move him for Simmons, the Celtics are too good and such a move would require a ton of changes around the roster. Jaylen's improvement has him at the same level of Simmons as well. Not at all an attractive proposal to me.

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2020, 10:17:11 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I think our offense would get a good deal worse, and while the defense would improve I don't think that's a good trade.

Kemba's shooting and driving threat opens up so much of what Tatum/Jaylen are achieving this year. Simmons would make things so much harder for the Js.

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2020, 10:28:21 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Preface:
   I probably would not do this
   I imagine neither team would do this

Idea:
   Kemba Walker and Jaylen Brown
       for
   Ben Simmons and Al Horford

Reasoning for C's:
Ben Simmons is extremely talented, younger than Kemba, and has vastly more defensive potential. The shooting on the C's could provide the kind of rangy offense that Simmons needs around him to thrive. Additionally, we get to put Horford back in our system that successfully utilized his skill sets in the past.

Reasoning for 76ers:
Kemba is a way better fit for their team right now, both as a P+R operator with Embiid and as a spot up shooter when Embiid is on the block. They also get Jaylen, who is turning in to a very viable 2nd/3rd option.

Proposed starting rosters:
  Celtics: Simmons/Smart/Hayward/Tatum/Horford
  76ers:   Kemba/Brown/Richardson/Harris/Embiid

The main reason I wouldn't do this is that I'm not convinced that Simmons is better than Brown, long term. One could argue that Kemba for Horford is somewhat fair, considering the history of point guards over 30. I'm not that worried about Kemba over the life of his contract, but I wouldn't blame someone else for thinking it would be negative value toward the end. There is also something in my head about Kemba being an important personality on our team. Hard to account for chemistry, but I really enjoy how positive our team seems this year -- and Kemba is at least some of the reason why.

From a salary standpoint I don' think this could happen until next year. Brown and Simmons are both on poison pill contracts this year, so trading them is problematic. It was just and idea that stuck with me enough to post about it. Feel free to lob tomatoes.

:angel:

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2020, 10:37:48 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Philly would do that in a second.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2020, 10:55:58 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We should never want Ben Simmons on the C's dude has zero heart and Al is in decline.   Ainge would not do this deal, and only  a Philly fan would propose it.

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2020, 12:35:04 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

I think our offense would get a good deal worse, and while the defense would improve I don't think that's a good trade.

Kemba's shooting and driving threat opens up so much of what Tatum/Jaylen are achieving this year. Simmons would make things so much harder for the Js.

Hayward, Brown, Smart, Tatum and Simmons would be a pretty incredible starting lineup. The interchangeability on D would be crazy good. Simmons would is a great post up player where he can be more productive in half court offense.

I love Kemba but I would have to think about it. Especially for the long term.

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2020, 12:59:03 PM »

Offline CaNdyMaN1369

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 151
All i can say is No...        :o

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2020, 01:11:09 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I wouldn't trade either one of our guys for both of the Sixer guys.  I liked Al but I'm over him and he appears to be declining.  Simmons of course has huge potential but his ceiling keeps appearing lower to me as time goes on.  I only like him on fast breaks, that it.  Kemba has been great and I'm amazed at how good Brown is right now.  I think he's going to end up twice the player that Simmons will be.  Brown has been playing like an unselfish Kobe- he's got his footwork down this year and he shoots it much better than Kobe. 

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2020, 01:33:28 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I wouldn't trade either one of our guys for both of the Sixer guys

Hmm. In a hypothetical world where the CBA / luxury tax didn’t matter...

Horford / Kanter
Simmons / Theis
Tatum
Hayward / Smart
Kemba

or

Horford / Kanter
Simmons / Theis
Tatum / Hayward
Brown
Smart

Very tempting, but I’m just not that enamored with Simmons.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2020, 01:44:07 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I don't get why people are enamoured with Simmons. He's not the next coming of Magic Johnson, his passing and creation in the half court are bang average, it's his fastbreak passing that's elite. We don't need a garbage man on steroids in the half court offence when we already lack an MVP calibre player on our squad, we really need that 4 star swing offence to generate enough offence in the playoffs.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2020, 10:40:53 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
Ha! Didn't think I'd get such consensus. Getting unanimous agreement in any thread is fairly uncommon, go me!