Author Topic: Rumor: Jrue Holiday is available via trade  (Read 5564 times)

Rumor: Jrue Holiday is available via trade
« on: December 17, 2019, 02:10:53 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Quote from: Marc Stein
While mired in a 12-game losing streak, New Orleans indeed remains reluctant to trade JJ Redick, according to league sources, on top of the team's two presumed  untouchables: Zion Williamson and Brandon Ingram

Yet what that also means is Jrue Holiday is indeed available via trade, league sources say. It would surely cost a significant amount to pry him away from the Pels, but this is a notable change in status given how unavailable Holiday was to interested teams last season

https://twitter.com/thesteinline/status/1207012351704219656

Re: Rumor: Jrue Holiday is available via trade
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 02:16:32 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Bill Simmons speculates that Holiday for Ben Simmons makes a lot of sense for both teams, although I feel Pels would probably have to include additional picks.

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 02:22:21 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Bill Simmons speculates that Holiday for Ben Simmons makes a lot of sense for both teams, although I feel Pels would probably have to include additional picks.
oh the irony.  Sixers gave up Holiday in an effort to tank to get players like Simmons and now they'd be taking him back because he's a better fit.

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 02:36:16 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
that is a dumb trade for the Sixers.  Holiday just doesn't seem like the right kind of fit or talent for them to move on from Simmons.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 02:39:14 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
that is a dumb trade for the Sixers.  Holiday just doesn't seem like the right kind of fit or talent for them to move on from Simmons.
Most fanbases outside the celtics mock Simmons trade ideas and speculations. Most of his ideas are so reactionary ... remember how excited he was that Danny drafted James Young with the 17th pick

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2019, 02:43:13 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Most fanbases outside the celtics mock Simmons trade ideas and speculations. Most of his ideas are so reactionary ... remember how excited he was that Danny drafted James Young with the 17th pick

In fairness, half the fans here were as well.  Let's cut BS some slack. 

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 02:53:58 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

In fairness, half the fans here were as well.  Let's cut BS some slack.
The thing is, BS should know how difficult it is for the Sixers to actually trade Simmons from a monetary standpoint given his poison pill provision.  I mean even if the value was appropriate, how exactly is that trade supposed to work financially?  It isn't like the Sixers have contracts they can add to Simmons that they don't need and then how do you do the matching with the poison pill stuff. 

If the Sixers trade Ben Simmons it will almost certainly be after his extension kicks in this summer. 

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 02:58:56 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Simmons has said just that several of the various podcasts he has been on, that the Sixers screwed up by giving him the extension early which left them with no way to trade him.

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2019, 03:32:43 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Simmons has said just that several of the various podcasts he has been on, that the Sixers screwed up by giving him the extension early which left them with no way to trade him.

Philly gets Hayward, Grant, Wanamaker, Edwards, and Green.

Celtics get Simmons, Richardson, Scott, Smith, Burke.

Salaries work*.  I’m not sure the resultant teams do, however, and almost certainly Philly needs at least the Memphis pick.

* — Sixers absorb Hayward and Edwards by the 125% rule from all their outgoing players aggregated together, Wanamaker and Green via the minimum exception, and Grant through the Fultz TPE.  Celtics absorb Simmons and Richardson using 125% of Hayward’s salary, Smith via 175% of Grant, Scott via 175% of Wanamaker+Edwards+Green, and Burke via the minimum exception.

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2019, 04:01:39 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I love Jrue. He’s a top-5 favorite of mine among non-Celtics.  He’s not worth Simmons, though. Too inconsistent from outside.

The guy is a Marcus Smart level defender, though, and is a very good scorer and passer.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2019, 04:17:12 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Celtics and 76ers will never do a trade..never!
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2019, 04:27:20 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I love Jrue. He’s a top-5 favorite of mine among non-Celtics.  He’s not worth Simmons, though. Too inconsistent from outside.

The guy is a Marcus Smart level defender, though, and is a very good scorer and passer.

He's an excellent defender, but I wouldn't say he's Marcus Smart level. That's rare air imo.

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2019, 04:45:29 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Maybe there’s something to it then. I thought it was bad for NO. Nobody knows what Ingram and ZW can be, but I wouldn’t pair them with a non-shooting PG

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2019, 05:03:32 PM »

Offline chiken

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 15
Wait - Have I been under a rock... Is Philly is looking to Ben Simmons for real?

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2019, 05:03:54 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Maybe there’s something to it then. I thought it was bad for NO. Nobody knows what Ingram and ZW can be, but I wouldn’t pair them with a non-shooting PG
Holiday is a crappier version of Butler and we saw last year that Butler and Embiid weren't a great fit (and that was when Redick was around).  You may be right that Simmons isn't a great fit with Ingram and Zion (though I think he'd be fine as he is way better than Lonzo and they seem to make that work ok without Zion), but Simmons has more value than Holiday does.  Now if Holiday was the perfect fit in Philly, maybe you give up the better player for the better fitting one, but Holiday isn't a great fit.  That is a bad trade for the Sixers.  It is also nearly impossible for the trade to happen given Simmons' poison pill provision.