Author Topic: Harry Giles  (Read 1894 times)

Harry Giles
« on: December 16, 2019, 06:59:48 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Thought this deserved its own thread.  Always liked his potential, and he's out of the long-term picture in Sac.  Would reunite him with fellow Dukie JT, similar age range as our core young guys.  Worth trading Langford for? I know Giles is an UFA at the end of the season, but our front court needs help now.  Just get the sneaking suspicion that he could be great as small ball center, with perhaps more skills than Theis.

Here's what I said in the "Who's available that we can get at C" thread:
What’s the story on Harry Giles? Doesn’t play in SAC, which means essentially nothing as far as I can tell, but highly touted guy at 6’11” who can pass and is versatile. I know he had injuries early in his career but still an intriguing prospect.

5 pages in, this is maybe the first post to actually answer the question of the OP.

I don't know if I like Giles but calling him "an intriguing prospect" is about right. Does he move the needle for this team this year? Probably not. But that's the problem. Any of the centers out there who might be able to elevate the Celtics this season are either too expensive (in terms of cap hit or trade capital or both) or not on the block.

Unless something breaks lose, this might be the team this year.
I would not mind Harry Giles, but I agree he doesn’t move the needle for this year.  He does match the age range of the Jays which I like.  Having him on board this season would give him valuable playoff experience with this team.  That said, Kings did decline his option.
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/256001/Kings-Decline-20-21-Options-On-Harry-Giles-Caleb-Swanigan

Good analysis from Kings perspective:
https://earlybirdrights.com/2019/11/01/sacramento-kings-harry-giles-rookie-scale-option-bogdan-bogdanovic-luxury-tax/

Harry Giles Basketball Reference page: https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/gilesha01.html

Re: Harry Giles
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 07:20:43 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
Rumor by The Athletic’s Sam Amick is Kings declined his 4th year because they want him to earn it.

I'm guessing a shot at his work ethic? Have we ever seen a healthy Giles in the NBA?
ok fine

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 07:49:16 PM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
Super and utter trash. He’s from where I stay and I watched him closely... he’s been trash since college and is no better than semi.

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 08:18:29 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
if he was worth having, the Kings would have picked up the option.  No one on the 15 man roster I'd trade for this guy.  I'd rather keep Tacko than this guy.

needs to prove it somewhere else. 

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 05:40:33 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Just get the sneaking suspicion that he could be great as small ball center, with perhaps more skills than Theis.

What are you basing this on?  He is not a shot blocker and his free throws are low percentage which is usually an indicator of a bad shooter.  He has also regressed a lot in one year.

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2019, 09:56:20 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I prefer he get a chance to turn things around with another team. Have no faith in BS or this coaching staff to develop Giles.