Author Topic: Time to think about trading Tatum?  (Read 18515 times)

Re: Time to think about trading Tatum?
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2019, 06:22:34 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Gasol made sense because the Raptors were all in on one year and were giving up Jonas/Delon two guys they didn't want to pay going forward anyways.

Nothing has suggested to me the C's shouldn't want to sign Tatum to an extension and keep him around for at least his second contract.

I hope you're right.

I'm personally crossing my fingers that we meet MIL in the 2nd round OR MIL/PHI somehow beat each other up and we only face ONE of them - with MIL being my preferred.

I think Embiid is acquiring Real Estate in BOS right now. I hope I'm wrong.

« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2019, 06:22:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Does anyone remember last year? Jaylen Brown was on so many CSers hit list because he struggled and the trade proposals were innumerable. In hindsight, it would have looked pretty bad for Danny if he had traded Brown for some of the, and in hindsight I think I can say this without insulting anyone, absolutely stupid trade proposals made last season. Patience by Danny in his young player resulted in Brown now looking like an All-Star and maybe even something better in the years to come.

Tatum is 21. We know he can shoot at a higher efficiency, we have seen it in the 2 years prior. His defense is much better. His passing somewhat better. And he continues to show he can get his shot off from anywhere.

Perhaps we should learn from last year with Brown. Maybe another dose of patience is necessary.

I mean, let's face it, the Celtics weren't built to be a title winner this year. This was a bridge and growth year as we moved from one possible contender to the next. Due to the salary structure and roster creation, there is not a move out there that is going to make the Celtics a real contender this year.

So, have some patience. Enjoy watching the youth grow. Feel good about the great chemistry and the fun these guys are having while playing each other.

Isn't that what this season was supposed to be all about after all?

« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2019, 06:23:22 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Gasol made sense because the Raptors were all in on one year and were giving up Jonas/Delon two guys they didn't want to pay going forward anyways.

Nothing has suggested to me the C's shouldn't want to sign Tatum to an extension and keep him around for at least his second contract.

I hope you're right.

I'm personally crossing my fingers that we meet MIL in the 2nd round OR MIL/PHI somehow beat each other up and we only face ONE of them - with MIL being my preferred.

I think Embiid is acquiring Real Estate in BOS right now. I hope I'm wrong.

Which is actually really funny, because BOS has been acquiring Real Estate in Embiid's head for the past 3 years.

Does anyone remember last year? Jaylen Brown was on so many CSers hit list because he struggled and the trade proposals were innumerable. In hindsight, it would have looked pretty bad for Danny if he had traded Brown for some of the, and in hindsight I think I can say this without insulting anyone, absolutely stupid trade proposals made last season. Patience by Danny in his young player resulted in Brown now looking like an All-Star and maybe even something better in the years to come.

Tatum is 21. We know he can shoot at a higher efficiency, we have seen it in the 2 years prior. His defense is much better. His passing somewhat better. And he continues to show he can get his shot off from anywhere.

Perhaps we should learn from last year with Brown. Maybe another dose of patience is necessary.

I mean, let's face it, the Celtics weren't built to be a title winner this year. This was a bridge and growth year as we moved from one possible contender to the next. Due to the salary structure and roster creation, there is not a move out there that is going to make the Celtics a real contender this year.

So, have some patience. Enjoy watching the youth grow. Feel good about the great chemistry and the fun these guys are having while playing each other.

This.

Like seriously, beginning of the free agency, when we got Kemba + Kanter, we didn't really have that much expectations. As a matter of fact, people thought we would contend, but would need a big man to complete the puzzle. Right now we're not in the position where we have that luxury. But in the future; we will.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2019, 06:26:39 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
As Faf has said, I think the C’s will want to keep Tatum. They kept Brown, despite his 3rd season struggles, and that has paid off in a major way.

However, if Tatum were to be the centrepiece in a move for a guy like KAT, Ayton or John Collins I’d probably be at peace with it. Maybe even Adebayo. Thing is, those guys’ teams have no desire to move them.
For me scratch Collins off that list. He just can't defend at either the 4 or the 5 for all his offensive and rebounding strengths. Its really had for me to move a two-way wing for a guy like that.

Fundamentally the C's need Tatum or Brown to develop into an all-nba caliber of player. Any trade involving them has to further that goal since they are our shots at developing that level of player internally.
I’m definitely sympathetic to that point of view, but in the 3-4 games Collins played this year that I saw I thought his defence was actually not bad at all. Plus he averaged 2 blocks and 1 steal. He’s no defensive monster, but I’m just really high on the guy.

I actually think Adebayo has a shot at developing into an All-NBA guy. Really good  all-round play, and is basically a 15/10/5 guy already.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2019, 06:27:19 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Good points.

I'm along for the ride, make no mistake about it.

« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2019, 07:50:06 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
I'd say not unless it's for a Star player.

Like if you package a first, Tatum and Hayward for KAT and Covington.

I'd be okay with something like that. You want to trade up. Especially when we still have some extra draft picks to sweeten deals.

It's a worth a shot to call Minnesota and make a strong offer (not saying we should gut our team, but make a fair offer for a good player)

They'd probably say no, but so what?

You make this offer; you better make sure you’ll get KAT, because if you don’t, you’ll lose Tatum and Hayward come free agency

« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2019, 08:31:22 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Celts trading Tatum is close to impossible.

The Wolves will not give another star big man to the Celtics after McHale gifted the Celts with KG back in 2007.

« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2019, 08:43:46 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Dont trade Tatum, period...only 21 and should be an All Star in the future..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2019, 09:15:08 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I talk crap about him all the time, and IMO he definitely needs to adjust his game. What scares me most of all is his shooting percentage is getting worse every season since coming into the league. He seems to be biting off more than he can chew, at the expense of the team, and either doesn't see it, or doesn't care.

But, unless you can get a dollar for dollar return for him. A young player with the possibility of Allstar potential, I'll have to say no.

I will say this...this time next season if there isn't definite improvement in his efficiency and judgement, then I'm all ears.

« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2019, 09:26:08 PM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
Dont trade Tatum, period...only 21 and should be an All Star in the future..

Tatum an All-Star? 😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣

« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2019, 09:51:40 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
Man this is gonna be a long six days.

beautiful, you called it. that is funny (and true).
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2019, 09:56:36 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
I'd say not unless it's for a Star player.

Like if you package a first, Tatum and Hayward for KAT and Covington.

I'd be okay with something like that. You want to trade up. Especially when we still have some extra draft picks to sweeten deals.
^this. Getting KAT would be sweet, I'm salivating at the idea of Brad finally getting a big man to play as an oversized forward :laugh:

KAT does not fit our culture - we need defense and rebounding, not a prima donna scorer who is a mediocre competitor. We already had one of those guys last season.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2019, 10:21:29 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Disagree about the OP saying that Tatum is only potential right now. He's an All-Star calibre forward already lol. His offence isn't great but it's adequate - he's missing a ton of bunnies that will go in in the long run, which will prop up his efficiency soon enough. His passing is also improving - he's gone from having severe myopia earlier on during the season to making good reads every now and then, it's still not good but it's also not terrible like it was. His defence is underrated - he's a top help defender at the wing due to his length and positioning, which gives him significant defensive value even though his man defence is suspect at times.

I think you may be saying "all-star calibre" rather than "all-star" because you recognize that while he has the right talent level the production hasn't been there. Too inconsistent, and much too inefficient as a shooter. His TS% is significantly below league average. I hope he gets there and think he probably will, but to my mind he hasn't really earned it yet.
But you should be measuring a player on his "goodness" rather than his situational value. Also it isn't like Tatum's production is that far off, he just needs to start hitting close range shots at a higher clip as well as clean up his drives to produce at that level (both of which are easily fixable/can regress back to adequate levels).

To put it another way - I can see glimpses of the player he might become, but to me he isn't yet performing at an all-star level. He's had a few really good games and even more stinkers. Mediocre assist numbers and a TS% of 52% doesn't scream all-star to me, especially for a wing flanked by a bunch of really good players. It's not like he's always having to be the primary option and defenses are all keying on him. He's only 21 and assuming he keeps working he's going to get a lot better. Hoping he takes the kind of leap that Jaylen took this year.
I think it's more than glimpses - he's showing out every other game imo. And ehhh I think the current setup is really limiting him, Tatum isn't a portable guy on offence due to his skillset (below average passing, volume scoring with a diverse scoring arsenal and a tendency to overdribble). If anything I think he'd benefit from a larger offensive load on a worse team - he'd get more touches and shots to regress back into what he averaged at the rim the past couple of years, and he'd be scoring at a higher volume as well. Defences keying in on him really don't affect his efficiency that much - as I said his offensive skillset is pretty diverse, giving him a pretty resilient offence. I think he's already an All-Star due to the pretty frequent highs of his game to game oscillations as well as his excellent impact metrics on a pretty heavy offensive load.

Maybe. But as you say he tends to over dribble and doesn’t pass well. If they were blitzing him I’d expect him to have a lot of trouble. Those 2-PT jumpers are a disaster. He shoots them at about 36%. Yuck.
I think he makes specific reads really well (like the interior passes to Kanter and Theis), teams can build around his specific passing tendencies to keep defences honest. I also think that teams will find more ways for him to create from the post+perimeter isolations, which defences really can't take away.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2019, 10:22:51 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

^this, TP. Let the youngsters go through their growing pains.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2019, 11:35:50 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

^this, TP. Let the youngsters go through their growing pains.

This is not the time to let youngsters go through growing pains.

Celts invested 67m per year on Kemba and Hayward.
That's a lot of money to just spend on growing pains.

If the objective is to develop the young players then why give a small PG like Kemba max money?

The Raptors last season gambled on Kawhi.
They went all in when they traded a young Valanciunas for an old Gasol
It paid off, the Raps won a championship.

With the addition of Kemba, Celts must go all in this season.

There's no guarantee the Celts will have a better chance of winning next season.