Author Topic: Kevin Love prefers to be traded to Blazers. Thompson also available  (Read 17843 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/12/10/21004318/nba-trade-deadline-kevin-love-danilo-gallinari-robert-covington

Kevin Love would prefer getting traded to the Portland Trail Blazers, league sources told Kevin O'Connor of The Ringer.

O'Connor also mentions the Nuggets and the Suns as potential teams that could trade for Love.

A potential deal for Love could also include Tristan Thompson, who is available in a deal.

The Blazers are expected to pursue Danilo Gallinari to fill their power forward position.

Re: Kevin Love prefers to be traded to Blazers. Thompson also available
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 05:44:02 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/12/10/21004318/nba-trade-deadline-kevin-love-danilo-gallinari-robert-covington

Kevin Love would prefer getting traded to the Portland Trail Blazers, league sources told Kevin O'Connor of The Ringer.

O'Connor also mentions the Nuggets and the Suns as potential teams that could trade for Love.

A potential deal for Love could also include Tristan Thompson, who is available in a deal.

The Blazers are expected to pursue Danilo Gallinari to fill their power forward position.

Why would the nuggets go after love? Jokic/Millsap/Love is an odd combo to try to put together (unless they would be trading Millsap for Love, which I think would be a mistake)

And while the Cavs may want to trade TT, his salary is going to me that very difficult, especially if they try to do it in the same move as Love
I'm bitter.

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 05:48:02 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I don't understand K-Love in Denver either. It is putting Plumlee or Millsap next to Jokic that keeps their defense working. It would fall apart with Love there instead.

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 07:12:33 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
So the Hassan Whiteside experiment is over, lol, highly predictable.

Whiteside & Bazemore for Love & Thompson -- I like it for Portland

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 07:41:01 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Whiteside is the jerk we knew he d be .

Basically ,  thats a super bad deal for Cavs. I would not be that desperate. 

I want a good you ger player for them or picks

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 08:14:39 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Lol - I don't think Love really gets to pick his team. He chose money over freedom when he signed that 4 yr/120M contract with a team he knew was going to be horrible.

I don't dislike Love and think he dealt with the drama of Lebron and Kyrie quite well (and earned a championship in the process), but I don't know why this is even a thing; he will get traded for the best package the Cavs can get it. Luckily for him, any team he goes to will be better than the Cavs.

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 08:39:37 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't understand K-Love in Denver either. It is putting Plumlee or Millsap next to Jokic that keeps their defense working. It would fall apart with Love there instead.
The sources are either Kevin Love's agent attempting to create a market or third party executives just trying to match "expendable" contracts on team's looking to upgrade.

Love/Jokic would be painfully slow footed.

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2019, 08:41:16 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Lol - I don't think Love really gets to pick his team. He chose money over freedom when he signed that 4 yr/120M contract with a team he knew was going to be horrible.
I think he made a good choice, I think he'd have gotten less in at least years on the open market.

But yeah this is just his agent trying to stir up things imo.

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2019, 08:44:00 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Kevin Love has no say in this. I mean, his contract expires in 2023. At the end of the day, he'll end up wherever the Cavs trade him.

Hopefully, the C's will stay away from Love and his albatross contract. I got no love for Love. :P

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2019, 09:24:14 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Whiteside is the jerk we knew he d be .

Basically ,  thats a super bad deal for Cavs. I would not be that desperate. 

I want a good you ger player for them or picks

I’m fairly certain picks would be included to Cleveland.  Portland doesn’t owe any first-rounders; nor does Phoenix.  Prospects like Zach Collins exist too.  Guys like Whiteside are just there to match salaries.  Cleveland would be wise to just cut Whiteside upon his acquisition.

For Portland-Cleveland, matching salaries will be important to both sides.  Portland is already well into the tax, and won’t want to take on much, if any, salary.   Cleveland, meanwhile, has barely a million headroom before they hit the tax.  A deal like Whiteside-Collins for Love-Zizic would fit into those salary parameters (Cle would take on about $100k in salary).  Bazemore-Thompson also fits this requirement, and combined they do as well.

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2019, 09:32:42 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Here's an article on why Love will not be coming to Boston.
https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/celtics-mailbag-why-trade-proposals-kevin-love-others-probably-wont-work

Do you think Danny kicks the tires on a Kevin Love trade? — @jfesgreen

Sub out “Kevin Love” for whatever 6-foot-9 and taller player becomes available next. But, since Love is in the headlines for his desire to get out of Cleveland, let’s run down why his next destination won’t be Boston:

Love makes $28.9 million in the first year of a long-term deal. The Celtics would have to give up Hayward — or Smart and a whole bunch of assets — to make the money work. Neither is happening.
Love’s long-term deal (and his injury history) makes his pact prohibitive for many teams, but especially a Boston team that’s already got $95 million in guaranteed salary next season, and that’s while prepping for Jayson Tatum to ink what will almost assuredly be a max-salary extension next summer. If Hayward comes back, that number really balloons.
Love is an excellent rebounder, but he’s not the Joel Embiid/Giannis Antetokounmpo stopper that everyone seems to think this team needs come playoff time. Yes, Love is a great outlet passer and offensive talent, but Boston ranks seventh in offensive rating already despite rarely having its full complement of players.

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2019, 09:50:10 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
It is widely reported in northeast Ohio that the Cavs put Love on the block, not that Love asked out.  Love has merely stated his preference to go home to Portland if he is traded, but it doesn't appear that he demanded to be traded or that he provided a list of teams to be traded to. 

Portland does make some sense basketball and contract wise as well.  Though I do think the Blazers would be better with Gallinari.  I think he fits their offense better than Love does.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2019, 11:44:14 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
After having a big hole there all season the Blazers could trot out TWO HOF PFs!  :o Top tier here they come lol.

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2019, 12:23:49 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
After having a big hole there all season the Blazers could trot out TWO HOF PFs!  :o Top tier here they come lol.

This raises an interesting question. Is Love actually a hall of famer? Basketball reference has him at 73% right around Amare Stoudamire and Kevin Lowry.  I think he actually needs to make another all-star game or two potentially. I don't think he will make the game this year and will be 32 next season. Also for a scoring big with an average at best defensive reputation he has only averaged 20 or more points 3 times in his career.

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2019, 12:36:29 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

This raises an interesting question. Is Love actually a hall of famer? Basketball reference has him at 73% right around Amare Stoudamire and Kevin Lowry.  I think he actually needs to make another all-star game or two potentially. I don't think he will make the game this year and will be 32 next season. Also for a scoring big with an average at best defensive reputation he has only averaged 20 or more points 3 times in his career.

Nope and I don't think Love is anywhere close to being a HoF either. His role on those Cavs title contending teams was more in line with a Lamar Odom level player than a Pau Gasol level player. Hell, to be honest Love wasn't even as good for Cleveland as Odom was for the Lakers.

Does his big stat no results (no playoff appearances) get Love in? I don't think so. Too many injuries. Not enough games at high level. No team success. Questionable impact - no empty stats but not full stats either since his horrible D and bad leadership ate away at his many positive contributions as an offensive player and rebounder. One and a half seasons at 25ppg and one at 20ppg. Just not enough. Especially without team success.

Role not valuable enough on title contender.

Pre-title contender contributions didn't last long enough and had questionable impact on team success of which his team had none (no playoff appearances).

----------------

I think Bball-reference is way off the mark at giving Love a 73%. I'd have him down around 15%. And I do not see him adding much to that with the remainder of his career.