Author Topic: Al Horford has been mediocre. He doesnt deserve his salary  (Read 60434 times)

Re: Al Horford has been mediocre. He doesnt deserve his salary
« Reply #240 on: May 01, 2018, 03:58:41 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
This thread still gives me a chuckle.

Sixers had no real answer for Horford last night.  He was killing them multiple ways and its pretty apparent his importance as one the key cogs with the offensive sets.

Lets see Horford carry this team to a few road wins first

Ah yes, another contrived hoop for Horford to jump thru conceived by triboy.

Thats what you think

He needs to carry the team to some road wins in the playoffs first

« Reply #241 on: May 01, 2018, 04:03:11 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Horford is having the best playoffs of his career this year.

He is exorcising the demons that question his ability to play in the playoffs.

Fair or not I think he'll still have a cloud over his playoff abilities in some people's minds until he has a good series against LeBron.

I love Horford and he is once again proving what a stellar playoff performer he is, but I don’t think anybody has ever considered him a true rival to LeBron. He likely needs to make a finals (which he will next year for sure), but actually beating LeBron as the main guy probably isn’t a necessity.

I've heard it mentioned many times that none of Horford's teams have challenged LeBron at all and therefore all those Hawks teams, of which Horford was the best player, were paper tigers. 

This is why I think many people have dismissed Horford's playoff accomplishments despite having won many playoff series and put up good numbers over multiple playoff runs.

I don't think that goes away until a team led by Horford takes a LeBron team to 6 or 7 games.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #242 on: May 01, 2018, 04:04:21 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Sixers had no real answer for Horford last night.  He was killing them multiple ways and its pretty apparent his importance as one the key cogs with the offensive sets.

Thats what you think

Al is the third best player on the Celtics roster when everyone is healthy.

Setting the bar as carrying your team to a road playoff win with your best two players out is ridiculous.

What other third banana would be able to win a series with a team's top two players out?
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #243 on: May 01, 2018, 04:07:55 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Horford is having the best playoffs of his career this year.

He is exorcising the demons that question his ability to play in the playoffs.

Fair or not I think he'll still have a cloud over his playoff abilities in some people's minds until he has a good series against LeBron.

I love Horford and he is once again proving what a stellar playoff performer he is, but I don’t think anybody has ever considered him a true rival to LeBron. He likely needs to make a finals (which he will next year for sure), but actually beating LeBron as the main guy probably isn’t a necessity.

I've heard it mentioned many times that none of Horford's teams have challenged LeBron at all and therefore all those Hawks teams, of which Horford was the best player, were paper tigers. 

This is why I think many people have dismissed Horford's playoff accomplishments despite having won many playoff series and put up good numbers over multiple playoff runs.

I don't think that goes away until a team led by Horford takes a LeBron team to 6 or 7 games.
Well if that doesn't happen this year then it won't happen at all. With Kyrie and Hayward healthy, as well as Tatum and Brown developing Horford won't be leading the Celtics again.

I think the root of the problem is he's always been the 2nd or 3rd best player on his team, but because of his contract people want best player on his team production. If that's your criteria then you will be disappointed by Al. If you think of him as someone the Celtics signed without giving up any assets or as a guy who helped convince Hayward to sign here then you are more likely to appreciate him.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #244 on: May 01, 2018, 04:08:09 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Thats what you think

Al is the third best player on the Celtics roster when everyone is healthy.

Setting the bar as carrying your team to a road playoff win with your best two players out is ridiculous.

What other third banana would be able to win a series with a team's top two players out?

Thank you

Yet he is making "best" player money

Hence he is overpaid

« Reply #245 on: May 01, 2018, 04:21:14 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Maximum FA contract with X years of service does not mean "best player money". There is no such thing as best player money.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

« Reply #246 on: May 01, 2018, 04:23:38 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be

Thats what you think

Not really.  You're just creating artificial bars to try & cover for some of your baffling logic on Horford that has been constantly blowing up in your face time after time.

Rather than accept defeat, you're choosing to double down with baffling nonsense.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #247 on: May 01, 2018, 04:27:37 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I look forward to the resurrection of this thread in the coming seasons as his touches and natural decline occur to say "see I was right all along he's not even one of our all-stars now!"...

« Reply #248 on: May 01, 2018, 04:31:22 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I think the root of the problem is he's always been the 2nd or 3rd best player on his team, but because of his contract people want best player on his team production.

I disagree with this.

To me he was always the best player on those Atlanta teams.  That's why this "Horford isn't worth the max" stuff has always been silly to me.

Best player on a 45+ win team that is competitive in the 1st round of the playoffs and beyond is TOTALLY worth a significant chunk of the cap.

He can't be the ONLY above average player on your roster, but he can definitely be the best player on a competitive team, albeit not a contending team.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #249 on: May 01, 2018, 04:31:47 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Overreaction season is finally here.

I disliked Horford signing from day 1, especially length of deal

Since you also liked the Mickey selection since day 1, would you kindly be able to let me know how you feel about Yabusele so I know how that's going to turn out.

Thanks.

« Reply #250 on: May 01, 2018, 04:33:28 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Thats what you think

Not really.  You're just creating artificial bars to try & cover for some of your baffling logic on Horford that has been constantly blowing up in your face time after time.

Rather than accept defeat, you're choosing to double down with baffling nonsense.

What kind of nonsense are you spitting out

You are deviating from the original post

Did I say he stinks? I said he has been mediocre (at that point of the season) when this thread went up

This was valid imo and in others opinion. Especially for the max money he makes

He has played better at the playoffs specifically at home. But can he do it away and help seal some wins?

A max player by definition should be someone that can do that from time to time. Not play well at home but look overwhelmed away

He didnt really look good at any of the games the Celts played vs Bucks in Milwaukee

Im not setting the bar up high to impossible levels. But considering how much he makes (max) the bar should be set higher

« Reply #251 on: May 01, 2018, 04:36:43 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
He can't be the ONLY above average player on your roster, but he can definitely be the best player on a competitive team, albeit not a contending team.
Yup.

The idea that players are worth the max as veteran FAs if they are MVP types intead of all-stars is a really bad way to look at the league. Especially when you have other lottery talent on the rookie scale. The value of talented rookies is it lets you spend on high level players elsewhere with that surplus. Whether its the max FA, the trade target with space, or a couple of high level role players.

« Reply #252 on: May 01, 2018, 04:38:16 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be

Thats what you think

What kind of nonsense are you spitting out

You are deviating from the original post

Did I say he stinks? I said he has been mediocre (at that point of the season) when this thread went up

This was valid imo and in others opinion. Especially for the max money he makes

He has played better at the playoffs specifically at home. But can he do it away and help seal some wins?

A max player by definition should be someone that can do that from time to time. Not play well at home but look overwhelmed away

He didnt really look good at any of the games the Celts played vs Bucks in Milwaukee

Im not setting the bar up high to impossible levels. But considering how much he makes (max) the bar should be set higher

You accusing me of deviating from the point might be the biggest pot calling the kettle black statement I've heard in quite some time given the source.

Thanks for the laugh. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #253 on: May 01, 2018, 04:44:19 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Yup.

The idea that players are worth the max as veteran FAs if they are MVP types intead of all-stars is a really bad way to look at the league. Especially when you have other lottery talent on the rookie scale. The value of talented rookies is it lets you spend on high level players elsewhere with that surplus. Whether its the max FA, the trade target with space, or a couple of high level role players.

Why is there little to no standard when it comes to max money at the nba ...this is how teams go bankrupt(or could) and bums like Melo are laughing all the way to the bank

I dont care for or buy the " just the way it is"

« Reply #254 on: May 01, 2018, 04:52:35 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3016
  • On To Banner 18!
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller