Author Topic: Al Horford has been mediocre. He doesnt deserve his salary  (Read 59689 times)

Re: Al Horford has been mediocre. He doesnt deserve his salary
« Reply #195 on: April 18, 2018, 04:26:15 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think its fair to say broadly that hes worth 30 million, the problem is he isnt a huge surplus value. Guys like Lebron, Curry, Davis are worth 50 million+. It becomes hard to reach the absolute highest level when one of your max slows isnt a sur plus value guy. Lucky I dont think its a huge problem for us since our young guys provide a lot of sur plus value, and by the time we resign them Horford contract will expire.

Exactly, and that was without a doubt a huge part of the reason Ainge went after Horford.  You can afford to pay big $$ to a 30ish free agent when a huge chunk of your roster is made up of rookie deals.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #196 on: April 18, 2018, 04:29:06 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
If Horford plays this good in the the 2nd round....I will say

Why arent you playing like this more often? And earning all of 30 million per season

There is nothing to admit of error for posting this thread...he was pure mediocre for a good chunk of the season. Especially when Kyrie was out (I mean even with Kyrie at times...its like when are you going to try, hit some big shots vs relying on others to score)

I would say you need to expand your definition of what it means to play well, because Al was very good for the vast majority of the regular season, as well.  It's not all about points and taking shots.

Right. Horford was a top-10 defender all season, and an excellent floor-spacer passer. He’s integral on both ends.

Are these things worth 30 million a season ?

Right now he is playing like a max guy

I guess I have been too spoiled by KGs excellence in the regular season, playoffs ...didnt matter

I know AL could have done more...we are seeing it right before our eyes.

Let me make this simple as possible for you.

Al Horford as one of the top 2-3 players on your team is going to lead your team on both ends on the court and  will be a leader off the court as well, and your team is going to win 45+ games and be competitive in the playoffs.

That's worth $25-30 million to me.  If you need a guy to be a go-to scorer to be worth allocating over a quarter of the cap, then we disagree. I completely disagree with you about NBA roster construction. 

For a 30 million dollar player...yes it is about scoring and or carrying team to wins. And if the other max guy is struggling or focused on, to be the next guy to score and seal wins

You dont pay Draymond Green 30 million to be the jack of all trades (and a real good one he is)

If the team is mostly young guys and players on bargain contracts, and adding Draymond will help the team make a leap to the top half of the conference plus give the team legitimacy in seeking to add other stars to the roster, then a good GM would absolutely pay Draymond that kind of money.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #197 on: April 18, 2018, 04:48:44 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
So Triboy - As was asked above, and you never answered:  Who would you have given that money to in 2016?  We all wanted Durant, we lost out on him.  Who else was better than Al to spend the money on?
I wouldn't have spent it and would have carried it over to 2017 and then used that extra space in 2017 to acquire Paul George or Jimmy Butler and still have the room to sign Hayward in free agency.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #198 on: April 18, 2018, 05:26:58 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
So Triboy - As was asked above, and you never answered:  Who would you have given that money to in 2016?  We all wanted Durant, we lost out on him.  Who else was better than Al to spend the money on?
I wouldn't have spent it and would have carried it over to 2017 and then used that extra space in 2017 to acquire Paul George or Jimmy Butler and still have the room to sign Hayward in free agency.

And your team would be decidedly worse than the current team as you'd have no two-way big who can do any of the things that Horford does that are vital to team success.  You'd be overloaded on wings with the only hope of getting a top flight big being DeMarcus Cousins or Blake Griffin (no other big has since come available).  Cousins is a head case and now injured, and Griffin is clearly an inferior player to Horford.

« Reply #199 on: April 18, 2018, 05:30:46 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
I will say, though, this thread has become kind of silly.  I don't think one single person has changed their stance, and doesn't appear likely to.  It's just the same people re-iterating the same points over and over (on both sides).

« Reply #200 on: April 18, 2018, 05:34:37 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

I agree

« Reply #201 on: April 18, 2018, 05:39:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I will say, though, this thread has become kind of silly.  I don't think one single person has changed their stance, and doesn't appear likely to.  It's just the same people re-iterating the same points over and over (on both sides).

You're not wrong.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #202 on: April 18, 2018, 05:43:17 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

do nothing except maybe sign Dedmon. Like Moranis stated above, his idea is also something I that would have considered a better option and also without strangling capspace (as we face starting this upcoming offseason) 

« Reply #203 on: April 18, 2018, 06:45:13 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Just a guy I'd like to have at about 75% of the max salary slot.

I think that we all wish this was possible. The problem is, it isn’t. So, you are left with the decision of paying him more than he is ideally worth, or missing out on him altogether.

Looking back at that free agent class, there are many, many worse outcomes than paying Horford what the market value was.
Sure, but I think his price tag stops some people from realizing that he's simply the best third banana type in the league.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #204 on: April 28, 2018, 10:38:40 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Worth every penny.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #205 on: April 28, 2018, 10:43:56 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Max contract!!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #206 on: April 28, 2018, 10:46:10 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
This is one of the greatest Celticsblog threads ever!

« Reply #207 on: April 28, 2018, 10:48:02 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Mvpmvpmvp  ;D

« Reply #208 on: April 28, 2018, 10:50:57 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
Al Horford is underpaid.

What a bargain contract.

« Reply #209 on: April 28, 2018, 10:54:38 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
This was Colossal Al tonight. When the game was on the line he gave us that 10 point cushion.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D