Author Topic: Celtics get Philly in the first round  (Read 5794 times)

Re: Celtics get Philly in the first round
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2020, 09:37:59 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I've always thought of the Sixers as a bogeyman of sorts, especially on this site. Without Simmons it's gonna be a struggle for them to guard our 4-headed dragon. Horford is cooked, and Harris and Milton are very eh defenders. Richardson can only guard one person. Thybulle is nice on defense, but his offense is putrid. How much time will Thybulle actually get if he's a nonfactor on offense? I don't know. I think winning in 5 or 6 games is a fair prediction.

Amusingly, I think the Sixers thought of the Celtics as a bogeyman coming into the season.  Embiid has said something similar in the past. 

Anyway, I agree with a lot of what you said here.  With Simmons, their defense matched up with us pretty well.  He can switch 1-5 and is their best option on Tatum.  But without him, the matchups start unraveling for them.  While I'd stop short of saying that Horford is cooked, I do think his ability to defend the perimeter has fallen off sharply.  He should be overmatched against our wings.  Philly will have to send some help his way, and that will unlock some things for us.  Coach should have some fun with that.

At the other end, Embiid is a problem when he's healthy but I feel like their offense is a collection of one-on-one players.  Their ability to make each other better is limited, and I don't really fear their team off the bounce.  That said, their ability to space the floor will improve with Simmons out.  Crowding Embiid while also closing out to their shooters will be a challenge for us.

Looking forward to it. 

« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2020, 09:46:21 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
It would have been a hell of a series with Simmons.  Obviously happy that the Celts have a more favorable matchup, but it would have been good to see these two hook up at full strength to see where they are as franchises.  They should be in each others crosshairs for years to come.
Yup

« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2020, 03:12:18 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I've always thought of the Sixers as a bogeyman of sorts, especially on this site. Without Simmons it's gonna be a struggle for them to guard our 4-headed dragon. Horford is cooked, and Harris and Milton are very eh defenders. Richardson can only guard one person. Thybulle is nice on defense, but his offense is putrid. How much time will Thybulle actually get if he's a nonfactor on offense? I don't know. I think winning in 5 or 6 games is a fair prediction.

Amusingly, I think the Sixers thought of the Celtics as a bogeyman coming into the season.  Embiid has said something similar in the past. 

Anyway, I agree with a lot of what you said here.  With Simmons, their defense matched up with us pretty well.  He can switch 1-5 and is their best option on Tatum.  But without him, the matchups start unraveling for them.  While I'd stop short of saying that Horford is cooked, I do think his ability to defend the perimeter has fallen off sharply.  He should be overmatched against our wings.  Philly will have to send some help his way, and that will unlock some things for us.  Coach should have some fun with that.

At the other end, Embiid is a problem when he's healthy but I feel like their offense is a collection of one-on-one players.  Their ability to make each other better is limited, and I don't really fear their team off the bounce. That said, their ability to space the floor will improve with Simmons out.  Crowding Embiid while also closing out to their shooters will be a challenge for us.

Looking forward to it.
The good thing is that Embiid is a fairly mediocre passer. I think we can crowd Embiid in a way that he won't be able to take advantage of openings in our defence due to his lack of high-level vision - similar to how the Raptors limited Giannis last season by forcing him to make passes that he wasn't really adept at in order to punish their defence.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2020, 05:20:13 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

At the other end, Embiid is a problem when he's healthy but I feel like their offense is a collection of one-on-one players.  Their ability to make each other better is limited, and I don't really fear their team off the bounce. That said, their ability to space the floor will improve with Simmons out.  Crowding Embiid while also closing out to their shooters will be a challenge for us.

Looking forward to it.
The good thing is that Embiid is a fairly mediocre passer. I think we can crowd Embiid in a way that he won't be able to take advantage of openings in our defence due to his lack of high-level vision - similar to how the Raptors limited Giannis last season by forcing him to make passes that he wasn't really adept at in order to punish their defence.
Yeah, we definitely have the length with our starting lineup to disrupt Embiid as a passer - he's always struggled with that. They also lose all the offball movement Simmons provided, which was very damaging even if it didn't result in three point shots
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2020, 10:33:45 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I don't expect an easy series, but if the Celtics can't beat this version of the Sixers, then the whole thing needs to be scrapped.

« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2020, 12:48:40 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Love the optimism, but I believe the Sixers are a bad fit for the C's. They'll have an advantage in rebounding, plus they got the best player in the series in Embiid. We have no answer for Embiid.

Imo, Kemba will be the X factor of the series. Two reasons for this:

1. The Sixers have a size advantage, which means that the C's have a speed advantage. We gotta run as much as we can with a view to scoring easy baskets in transition. Kemba is a super explosive PG. He should be the one spearheading our transition offense.
2. Milton is a defensive liability. Whenever he's on the court, we should be attacking the Kemba-Milton mismatch.

I'm really looking forward to this. Let's go C's!

(Celtics in 6)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 03:09:24 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2020, 04:54:15 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Gave it some thought relative to Simmons out.

Harris and Richardson have played very well against the Celtics this year.

Philly just won their last bubble game with some offense.

I think it's going to go 7 games. There is an interesting wild card.

The Celtic's bench is playing very well this month, is deep and experienced.

Smart
Wanamaker
Semi
Kanter

Is what we are looking at and all of them have been scoring well and play together with the starters. I don't think the Philly bench has it on our guys.

Oddly enough, Celtics benchers tilt series in favor of green.

« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2020, 05:08:42 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Look forward to the sweep! ;D
Nailed it ;)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2020, 05:52:24 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
New injury for the beast at center?

https://www.nba.com/article/2020/08/12/joel-embiid-exits-game-right-hand-injury

If we cannot best this team minus Simmons, we would have no chance vs The Queen of the West- I am expecting a sweep.

Tatum, Brown, Kemba and Gordon should destroy this team.

😁

« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2020, 05:59:52 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700