Author Topic: Celtic Picks - 2019 draft  (Read 106734 times)

Re: Celtic Picks - 2019 draft
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2019, 11:27:05 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
TP to StK for reincarnating my favorite thread. Another if I remember in an hour.

While it still feels like the season just started, we're actually only a few games away from the midpoint. My, how time flies.

Hmm, so what do we have? Let's see...

My prediction: The Cs end up with four first-rounders this year.

The Clippers slow down, but manage to hang onto their playoff spot. That pick will be about #17.

Sacramento has a worse second half than first, but doesn't slip below the least of the east. Sorry, this team isn't the old Sac anymore. Pick ends up at #10.

Memphis: The potential for injuries makes me a bit nervous here, but I think that it conveys this year. Also #10. Yes, I know, I have two teams at #10. These things can happen, because this is the internet.

Celtics have a better second half than first, but the top of the east will continue to beat on the bottom of the east, and both GS & Houston will, like the cream does, rise to the top. We have #26.

Danny then trades #10 and 11 for #6, does a S&T for Terry at $14m per year and trades him, Tatum, #6, a few other picks, Baynes and Yabu to NO for AD.

He then takes #26 and trades back into the second round.

Mike

Mike

I think I want the Memphis pick to roll over.  I think it'd be more valuable next year, and if the rumors are true that Gasol wants out, it could be worth a lot more.

What if NO isn't too high on this year's draft, especially outside the top 2-5?  Draft doesn't look great.  We still have Sacto and our pick at least, but I think I'd prefer Memphis roll over.  Curious if others agree or disagree.
I wouldn't be upset with it rolling over.  how many rookies can the C's reasonably add for next year if they don't work out a trade for a good player (Davis please) or do a consolidation trade to move up?   I also think that if it does rollover that it becomes a better asset for a Davis trade than if it has to be used this year since the draft will happen before we can get Kyrie to sign a new deal and enable us to acquire Davis.

« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2019, 08:00:46 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Someone else to keep an eye on. He'll be 20 at draft time. Would like to have stashed him for a year with our pick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49SpZ3qIr28

Big, aggressive kid. Good rebounder. Can shoot the 3. Not in the very athletic category and doesn't have long arms but for a late 1st round pick he looks ok.

https://www.aba-liga.com/player.php?id=2518

« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2019, 08:09:47 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Someone else to keep an eye on. He'll be 20 at draft time. Would like to have stashed him for a year with our pick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49SpZ3qIr28

Big, aggressive kid. Good rebounder. Can shoot the 3. Not in the very athletic category and doesn't have long arms but for a late 1st round pick he looks ok.

https://www.aba-liga.com/player.php?id=2518
I have watched Goga Bitadze live against Cedevita couple of months back.
He was important in their win. He is long and has some skill, but seems to me like he will top out as a good center in Europe but not NBA.
Lack of explosiveness hurts him. But I only saw him 1 game.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2019, 10:33:04 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
update for this week

Standings as of 1/17/19

Memphis pick tied #7 --  (tied with Orlando) (protected top 8 ) 
                   Games Behind    Current Wins   Games Left   Last 10
Washington             1                     18                   38                5-5
Orlando                  ---                     19                    38               4-6
Memphis                ---                     19                    38               1-9
Detroit                    +0.5                  19                   39                3-7
Dallas                      +1                    20                    38               4-6

--> Memphis is sinking in the standings - now at the point where the pick won't convey.   At the rate they're dropping, they'll be solidly sitting in the #6 slot by themselves by next week.  not good news for us unless we're looking to convey in a year or two.

Kings pick -- #13 -- (protected if top 1 - becomes Sixer pick if #1)
                       Games Behind    Current Wins     Games Left    Last 10
Miami                        1                      21                      40                  5-5
Brooklyn                   1                       23                     36                  6-4
Sacramento             ---                     23                      38                  5-5
LA Lakers                  +0.5                 24                      37                  4-6
Utah                         +1                     25                      36                  8-2

-> Kings are still hanging around the end of the lottery and still chasing after that last playoff spot in the West.   Western teams that should be passing them in the standings are still taking forever to get their acts together to put the Kings further down in the standings.

Clipper Pick #19   --  (percentage points behind Utah) (protected  top 14) 
Sacramento                 1                     23                       38                 5-5
LA Lakers                   0.5                    24                       37                 4-6
Utah                          ---                      25                       36                  8-2
LA Clippers               ---                     24                        38                 4-6
San Antonio               +1                     26                       36                  7-3
Houston                     +1                    25                        38                  6-4

-->  Clips dropped 3 spots in a week which is good for us.  They're still in the playoffs so the pick is still coming to us at this point.

Boston Pick #23 -- (percentage points behind Portland)
San Antonio            1                     26                     36                7-3
Houston                 1                      25                     38                6-4
Portland                 ---                    27                     36                 7-3
Boston                   ---                    26                     38                 6-4
OKC                       +0.5                 26                     39                 5-5

-->C's treading water in this slot for a few weeks.  OKC presents the only possible team that could drop below them for a better pick in the near future.   Another losing streak by the C's could drop them as many as 5 slots by next week.

Second Rounders:
Boston (protected 31-55)

Second rounders
Boston - #53

« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2019, 10:48:01 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
update for this week

Standings as of 1/17/19

Memphis pick tied #7 --  (tied with Orlando) (protected top 8 ) 
Washington             1                     18                   38                5-5
Orlando                  ---                     19                    38               4-6
Memphis                ---                     19                    38               1-9
Detroit                    +0.5                  19                   39                3-7
Dallas                      +1                    20                    38               4-6

--> Memphis is sinking in the standings - now at the point where the pick won't convey.   At the rate they're dropping, they'll be solidly sitting in the #6 slot by themselves by next week.  not good news for us unless we're looking to convey in a year or two.

TP for the update.

As for Memphis, every slot they drop is good. The only thing that would be better than having it delayed until 2020 would be having it fall back to 2021.

#teamdefer

Mike

« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2019, 09:59:52 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
update for this week

Standings as of 1/24/19

Memphis pick tied #6 --  (protected top 8 ) 
Memphis               ---                    19                   34              1-9
Orlando                  +1                    20                   34              3-7
Washington            +2                     20                   36             7-3

--> Memphis sank another spot in the standings and would be in position to retain the pick barring a shake-up in the lottery. They aren't really close to catching any of the 5 teams with worse records right now but if they continue to stink up the place and the Hawks continue to gain ground, Memphis could slide to 5 in a month.  This goes against their reported preference to convey the pick this year.  Washington and Dallas don't figure to slide back below them in the standings so it's looking like the Memphis pick will stay with them

Kings pick -- #13 -- (protected if top 1 - becomes Sixer pick if #1)
Minnesota                 0.5                       23                    35               6-4
Sacramento             ---                        24                   34               5-5
LA Lakers                  +1                        25                   34               4-6

-> Kings are still hanging around the end of the lottery and still chasing after that last playoff spot in the West.   Still waiting on Minny and NO to get it together long enough to pass them in the standings.    More than a bit surprised Sac is holding on to a .500 record over halfway through the season.

Clipper Pick #18   --  (protected  top 14) 
LA Lakers                    1                     25                      34                 4-6
LA Clippers               ---                    26                      34                 4-6
Utah                          +0.5                  27                      33                 8-2
San Antonio               +0.5                  27                      33                 5-5

-->  Clips dropped another spot this week.  Now clinging to that last playoff spot which is the best we can hope for if the pick conveys.   Need some Eastern teams on the edge of the playoffs to improve dramatically to improve this pick for us.

Boston Pick #24 -- (percentage points behind Portland)
Portland                 1.5                    29                     33                 7-3
OKC                       0.5                    29                     35                 5-5
Boston                   ---                    30                     34                 7-3
Philadelphia           +1.5                   32                     33                 7-3

-->C's passed OKC to move back one slot in the draft.  Putting my C's fan hat on, I think they won't drop any further than this slot and am expecting them to close the gap with Philly in the next couple of weeks.

Second Rounders:
Boston (protected 31-55)

Second rounders
Boston - #54

« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2019, 01:42:27 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
TP, as usual.

Last week, I was worried that Memphis would fall out of the bottom 8 and that the pick would convey this year (I'm #teamdefer). Now, I'm concerned that they'll be so bad that they have a shot at Zion!

Seriously, though, since they're 3.5 games "behind" the Hawks and 8 behind the Bulls, it's unlikely that this pick gets much better, with only 34 games to go. The danger is still the other way.

Sadly, that SAC pick isn't getting much better. Maybe Minnesota gets better or the Pels improve once AD returns, or the East improves, but it's a 3-game differential to get into the top-10 (currently means passing Detroit, at 21-26). The way their young guys have been playing, that's going to be a tough call.

Mike

« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2019, 01:47:22 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
TP, as usual.

Last week, I was worried that Memphis would fall out of the bottom 8 and that the pick would convey this year (I'm #teamdefer). Now, I'm concerned that they'll be so bad that they have a shot at Zion!

Seriously, though, since they're 3.5 games "behind" the Hawks and 8 behind the Bulls, it's unlikely that this pick gets much better, with only 34 games to go. The danger is still the other way.

Sadly, that SAC pick isn't getting much better. Maybe Minnesota gets better or the Pels improve once AD returns, or the East improves, but it's a 3-game differential to get into the top-10 (currently means passing Detroit, at 21-26). The way their young guys have been playing, that's going to be a tough call.

Mike

changes will happen around the deadline.

Detroit will improve for 1.
Minny, NOP and MAvs will probably make moves to improve, at lease NOP (fear of losing Davis) and Mavs (no pick need to make playoffs)

Lakers will also pull away more.

I think memphis and sacramento both end in that 7-11 range

« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2019, 01:48:12 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
It’s becoming more likely that the Clippers pick falls in to the lottery and we lose it. The Jazz and Spurs are starting to get it going, and there’s no way the NBA and their Zebras allow the Clips to get in over the Fakers.

« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2019, 01:56:11 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
TP, as usual.

Mike
I don't think it'll get any worse. The only other team they may pass is Brooklyn. As been mentioned recently, their February schedule is pretty tough.There's 2 games they'll likely win but the rest are more than likely to be losses. So, a 2-8 record is predicted, which should put them in their rightful place...the lottery and the 9th pick in the draft. It's free money as it is.

« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2019, 02:25:49 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
TP, as usual.

Mike
I don't think it'll get any worse. The only other team they may pass is Brooklyn. As been mentioned recently, their February schedule is pretty tough.There's 2 games they'll likely win but the rest are more than likely to be losses. So, a 2-8 record is predicted, which should put them in their rightful place...the lottery and the 9th pick in the draft. It's free money as it is.
Brooklyn's an Eastern version of Sac this year -- unsung players overperforming.  Brooklyn does have the advantage of playing more games against the weak sisters of the East so I would anticipate their win total to tough for Sac to match by the end of the season.

Not sure if I want that Memphis pick to be delayed another year or two.  the 2 positives is that (1) it's a really good trade chip for an AD trade this summer and (2) Danny won't need to use it on a draft-and-stash prospect due to a really full roster built to contend.   The downside is I think it'll be the best pick we get this year if it conveys and I think Danny could snag a really good player with it this year

« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2019, 03:01:44 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
TP, as usual.

Mike
Brooklyn's an Eastern version of Sac this year -- unsung players overperforming.  Brooklyn does have the advantage of playing more games against the weak sisters of the East so I would anticipate their win total to tough for Sac to match by the end of the season.

Not sure if I want that Memphis pick to be delayed another year or two.  the 2 positives is that (1) it's a really good trade chip for an AD trade this summer and (2) Danny won't need to use it on a draft-and-stash prospect due to a really full roster built to contend.   The downside is I think it'll be the best pick we get this year if it conveys and I think Danny could snag a really good player with it this year

I think it'll be an even better trade chip, though, if it gets deferred. Fewer protections, likely a worse team.

Mike

« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2019, 01:28:54 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Sac town pick moves to 12 slot

I Have faith that the pelicans and mavs get better

« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2019, 02:42:16 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Rooting for Memphis to defeat Sacramento tonight! More important for SAC to lose I think.

« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2019, 11:32:00 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
Rooting for Memphis to defeat Sacramento tonight! More important for SAC to lose I think.

Absolutely more important for SAC to lose (and I think I'm the most adamant on this thread about wanting that Memphis pick to roll over).

Mike

ETA: I'm getting Memphis the #1 pick on Tankathon way too many times for comfort.