Author Topic: What should have been draft week MOCK DRAFT  (Read 10378 times)

What should have been draft week MOCK DRAFT
« on: June 22, 2020, 02:42:58 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
If not for the pandemic the draft would have been this week. In honor of this I have made a mock draft. I ran a tankathon sim and based my picks on my opinion, what I have recently read, and used Chad Fords intel for a prospect range. I made sure to keep every player he gave a range for in his pod in that range in the mock.

1   T-Wolves        Edwards
Out of the highest ceiling top of the lottery prospects AE fits the best with Russell and KAT
2   Suns        Ball
Potential to be a great fit along side Booker
3   Wiz               Wiseman
He is much malined as a prospect but has elite tools and should have an instant starting role on Wiz
4   Cavs       Toppin
He is my lottery mystery, im confident somone takes him top 14 but not sure who. If they move Love Toppin will fill a stat sheet
5   GS        Okongwu
The warriors are likely going to try to trade down or for a vet but if not Okongwu is ready to contribute and fills a roster void
6   ATL            Hayes
The hawks need another playmaking and Hayes has the size and skill set to play along with and back up Young
7   Pistons   RJ  Hampton
]The Pistons are a roster void of young talent, Hampton has a high upside and gives them a starting point
8   NYK            Vassell
The checkers move would be to add a PG to fill the void, the chess move is to add a 3-D wing like Vassell or Okoro then get PG next draft
9   Bulls     Haliburton
Their roster isnt winning but also doesn't have many holes, Hali is a good glue guy to help pull roster together
10   Hornets    Okoro
Strong wing defender who needs to develop his outside shot but has more perimeter skills then Bridges
11   Spurs   P Williams
A great Spurs project, has potential to be steal of the draft and SA could unleash his potential
12   Kings   Avdija
Solid all around forward who should be able to step right in and contribute both on D and as secondary initiator
13   Pelicans   Anthony
Playing off of Zion, Ingram and Ball Anthony has a real chance of being the stud many thought he was coming out of HS
14   Blazer   Nesmith
Shooter who will create space for Dame and CJ
15   Magic   Lewis Jr
Could fit really welll with Fultz as their backcourt of the future
16   Minn   Paul Reed
versatile defender for a team in need of defenders
17   Cs           Maxey
Ive talked about him alot, perfect DA pick. If Cs get his shooting where it was projected out of HS he is a steal

18   Mavs   Terry
Lights out shooter who could thrive as an upgraded seth curry next to Luka
19   Buck   Dotson
Solid PG who can contribute right away for a team looking to win now
20   Net           S Bey
Big shooting wing who should be able to fit in next to Kyrie and KD and hit open shots
21   Nugg   Achiuwa
Faried 2.0 who can play along side of backup Jokic and provide energy, rebounding and hopefully versatile D (Cs could try to package 26+30 for this pick)
22   76ers   Poku
Long shot long term draft and stash, 76ers have picks to burn
23   heat   McDaniels
Miami has a been really good at developing players and if they can tap into his potential Mcdaniels is a steal
24   jazz           Flynn
really solid PG who is a master of P&R
25   OKC          Jah Ramsey
High upside low floor wing
26   Cs       Maledon
Potential to D&S makes him a fit for Cs, long term his has good size and can shoot. Would fit nicely on or off ball

27   NYK          Mannion
Knicks basically take their backup PG of the future, in the short term I trust him to keep the games from getting to ugly.
28   Rap          J Green 
has potential to be a really good 3-D wing, I liken him to Courtney Lee. Needs to refine shot
29   LA L          J Smith
Giving lebron a big who can shoots seems like a good use of this pick
30   Cs         Tillman
Solid but not spectacular long term pro, will be ready to contribute as a rookie

« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 03:01:56 PM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: What should have been draft week MOCK DRAFT
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 08:23:59 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Maxey is an interesting player, but perhaps also very similar to Langford (I guess better playmaking and a better shooting form, but Langford has more switching ability on defense).

I'm intrigued by Precious Achiuwa (and packaging #26 + #30 for him would be a no-brainer for me).

A future starting frontcourt for the Celtics of Achiuwa/R.Williams could be incredibly dynamic and an absolute terror defensively. Both guys can protect the rim and switch to cover smaller guys on the perimeter, while also having a decent handle for bigs. Lots of work to be done for both of them improve offensively, but with Timelord's passing ability and Achiuwa's driving ability they don't have to be useless outside the paint.

Of course Anthony Davis is a special player, but the Lakers (and some other teams like Denver and Indiana) show that a team that starts two traditional bigs that can't (really) shoot threes can still be very good.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 08:31:02 PM by RodyTur10 »

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 08:37:25 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Maxey is an interesting player, but perhaps also very similar to Langford (I guess better playmaking and a better shooting form, but Langford has more switching ability on defense).

I'm intrigued by Precious Achiuwa (and packaging #26 + #30 for him would be a no-brainer for me).

A future starting frontcourt for the Celtics of Achiuwa/R.Williams could be incredibly dynamic and an absolute terror defensively. Both guys can protect the rim and switch to cover smaller guys on the perimeter, while also having a decent handle for bigs. Lots of work to be done for both of them improve offensively, but with Timelord's passing ability and Achiuwa's driving ability they don't have to be useless outside the paint.

I believe Maxey can be developed into a PG or at least a PG in the Jason Terry mold. He maybe best suited playing secondary initiator to a primary wing like Tatum. His over lap would be more with smart than Langford. While Smart is the superior passer and defender Maxey should be a better penetrator and a more consistent shooter.

Achiuwa and R Williams would be a spacing nightmare. I like Precious but only if he is drafted to play center. He was initially miss cast as a swing man at Memphis. When Wiseman was suspended Precious showed his true potential as a Faried like center. He could ultimately be a Theis/R Williams hybrid big man. His appeal is the fact that he can hopefully rebound at an elite level, punish other bigs off grab and go fast breaks, provide some rim protection, and switch 1-5
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 10:34:16 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

I believe Maxey can be developed into a PG or at least a PG in the Jason Terry mold. He maybe best suited playing secondary initiator to a primary wing like Tatum. His over lap would be more with smart than Langford. While Smart is the superior passer and defender Maxey should be a better penetrator and a more consistent shooter.

Achiuwa and R Williams would be a spacing nightmare. I like Precious but only if he is drafted to play center. He was initially miss cast as a swing man at Memphis. When Wiseman was suspended Precious showed his true potential as a Faried like center. He could ultimately be a Theis/R Williams hybrid big man. His appeal is the fact that he can hopefully rebound at an elite level, punish other bigs off grab and go fast breaks, provide some rim protection, and switch 1-5

Achiuwa has a low BBIQ and he has poor fundamentals.  His highlights are not his real game they are the times he got it right.  He doesn't have the mental tools to go with his physical gifts.   In a different draft maybe take a shot but there are more compelling alternatives at PF/C.  He is the type of player that bad teams draft high and thats why they stay bad teams. 

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 05:30:17 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Paul Reed going 1 spot before our pick would probably break my heart
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 08:00:13 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

I’m not a fan of Reed to the Celtics. The Cs typically run one big lineups and I don’t think Reed has the strength to play Center in the Celtics system. His versatility as a defender makes him an intriguing prospect for a team with a Center who can shoot and has the size to defend larger/stronger 5s.

KAT is the perfect front court partner in Minn
Vucevic and Jokic also make some sense
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 08:05:27 AM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2020, 08:54:04 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I’m not a fan of Reed to the Celtics. The Cs typically run one big lineups and I don’t think Reed has the strength to play Center in the Celtics system. His versatility as a defender makes him an intriguing prospect for a team with a Center who can shoot and has the size to defend larger/stronger 5s.

KAT is the perfect front court partner in Minn
Vucevic and Jokic also make some sense
Fair enough. I think he’s going to end up quite similar to Jerami Grant, but with considerably better rebounding. I think Stevens has the ability to fit that into our lineup.

Do agree with your assessment about where he’d fit in well
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2020, 09:02:27 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
because of covid, have to admit, i'm not nearly as up to speed on this year's class as i have been in the past.  i'm going to have to cram when it comes draft time.   :(
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2020, 10:26:12 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
because of covid, have to admit, i'm not nearly as up to speed on this year's class as i have been in the past.  i'm going to have to cram when it comes draft time.   :(

I have the opposite issue, with covid Ive read, listened, and watched way to much on this draft. Looking forward to basketball starting back up and the actual draft and off-season coming.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2020, 10:56:24 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
TP for the effort.  not sure I'm excited by who you have the C's taking but I'm not horrified by it either.  I figure this draft at best will either provide trade fodder or build our future bench brigade.

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2020, 12:02:11 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
TP for the effort.  not sure I'm excited by who you have the C's taking but I'm not horrified by it either.  I figure this draft at best will either provide trade fodder or build our future bench brigade.

Thanks

I would be excited to add Maxey. Maxey and P Williams are two players I would be excited to see on the Cs because they would have a chance to be really nice fits as long term starters.

Maledon has the potential to start some day but is more likely to be a solid bench combo guard and as you describe probably becomes trade fodder

Tillman is a guy who I could see having a Haslem like career. Good enough to start when needed but mostly a great bench contributor who really fits the system/culture and becomes a foundational member of the team. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2020, 12:51:18 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'd be pretty unhappy if Boston drafted Maxey while Bey is still on the board.  Of course, I don't expect Bey to actually be available at our draft slot, though, so it might be a moot point.

As for Maxey, I'm neutral on him as a prospect, overall. There are a number of other guys I'd rather have at that draft slot, though.

I am going to laugh at whatever team is foolish enough to spend a high pick on Ball. That kid has bust written all over him. I want nothing to do with him.

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2020, 02:05:13 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
I'd be pretty unhappy if Boston drafted Maxey while Bey is still on the board.  Of course, I don't expect Bey to actually be available at our draft slot, though, so it might be a moot point.

As for Maxey, I'm neutral on him as a prospect, overall. There are a number of other guys I'd rather have at that draft slot, though.

I am going to laugh at whatever team is foolish enough to spend a high pick on Ball. That kid has bust written all over him. I want nothing to do with him.

With Bey I assume you mean Saddiq,

I like S Bey but worry that his projection as a 3-D big wing may actually be lacking as a defender. I have very little doubt that he has a long career as a 6'8 guy who can spread the court with his shooting and make the correct read on offense.

I totally see why people may be lower on Maxey, must first reaction was that he was over rated. After watching more of his games and diving into his shooting I think he will be a steal and a could fit for the physical aggressive guards who the Cs have had great luck with.

Ball I have really come around on. In a draft lacking star talent his is a wing sized PG with a high end handle and elite vision. While his shot is a question mark he isn't a non shooter like Simmons or Rondo. He is a willing shooter and can get hot, this is enough to keep teams honest. If he didn't have the Ball last name and went the typical college route I think he would be a favorable prospect to a lot more people.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2020, 02:23:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I don't mean to sound like a Scrooge McDuck, but don't we already have like 8-10 mock draft threads for this year's draft(3-4 created by the OP)? These just seem like the same debates I have already seen multiple times in multiple threads.

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2020, 02:30:38 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
I don't mean to sound like a Scrooge McDuck, but don't we already have like 8-10 mock draft threads for this year's draft(3-4 created by the OP)? These just seem like the same debates I have already seen multiple times in multiple threads.

better then politics or corona talk
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet