Author Topic: Louisville to vacate 2013 basketball title as sex scandal punishment  (Read 5123 times)

Re: Louisville to vacate 2013 basketball title as sex scandal punishment
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 01:42:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
 Don't feel bad for them in the least. My guess is Louisville isn't going to be the only team vacating victories once this scandal goes full bloom. There's a lot of unethical and probably illegal stuff that goes on behind the scenes in college sports. Time to clean it up as much as possible.

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 01:57:23 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
The whole "vacate" thing has always kinda made me laugh.  Regardless, those events happened.  Stripping schools of titles or wins doesn't really erase the experience of that moment.

Anyways, you hate to see bad things happen to good people like Rick Pitino.  Oh wait...

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 02:18:05 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Pitino deserved it.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 02:33:44 PM by rondofan1255 »

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 02:27:21 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
The whole "vacate" thing has always kinda made me laugh.  Regardless, those events happened.  Stripping schools of titles or wins doesn't really erase the experience of that moment.

Anyways, you hate to see bad things happen to good people like Rick Pitino.  Oh wait...
I still think of the Marcus Camby UMass team as a Final 4 team. I'm still amazed the John Calipari - who followed the Slick Rick game plan probably better than Pitino - actually got enough talent to U.Mass to make a Final 4. And they easily could have won it all that year.

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 03:29:31 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I also hate it when they vacate games. If you are telling fans games didn't happen and taking money back from teams then you owe the fans back the money they spent on tickets and you owe the media back money from a game that didn't happen.

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 03:31:48 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I still think of the Marcus Camby UMass team as a Final 4 team. I'm still amazed the John Calipari - who followed the Slick Rick game plan probably better than Pitino - actually got enough talent to U.Mass to make a Final 4. And they easily could have won it all that year.
well he got Camby there.  no one else on that team made the pros.  Basketball, especially college, you only need 1 player.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 04:32:07 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

well he got Camby there.  no one else on that team made the pros.  Basketball, especially college, you only need 1 player.
No respect for Lou Roe!

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 04:35:20 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

No respect for Lou Roe!

This is what I was trying to remember. I was going to the URI games those years and remembered him being on Umass. However, he actually was not on their final 4 according to Wikipedia and left after the 94-95 season. I was very confused when I looked into this.

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 04:40:11 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I made a lot of money on Louisville in that tournament vs Michigan and Duke, especially, and in the Big East tournament that year and in a couple of brackets pools.

Do I have to give that $$$$ back???.............

Just Kidding!!!

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 04:54:57 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

No respect for Lou Roe!

Padilla, Travieso, and Roe were legit college players. Camby was the best player in the country.

I think we're naive to think that the top programs are not pushing the envelope in regards to legal recruiting.

I personally am not a fan of Pitino, as I think he's a jerk that won't take responsibility for his actions. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if similar actions were/are rampant throughout college athletics.

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 04:58:03 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

No respect for Lou Roe!

This is what I was trying to remember. I was going to the URI games those years and remembered him being on Umass. However, he actually was not on their final 4 according to Wikipedia and left after the 94-95 season. I was very confused when I looked into this.

Yeah, Roe was gone.  He was a senior. His last game was when UMass lost to Bryant Reeves in the Elite 8 in '95.   (Which, might've actually what kept Camby in school one more year).  That was a tough loss.  That Umass team was no slouch, either.  People just kinda forget them because they made the Final Four the next year.   

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 05:28:40 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

No respect for Lou Roe!

Yeah, Roe was gone.  He was a senior. His last game was when UMass lost to Bryant Reeves in the Elite 8 in '95.   (Which, might've actually what kept Camby in school one more year).  That was a tough loss.  That Umass team was no slouch, either.  People just kinda forget them because they made the Final Four the next year.

They were the scrappiest team ever in the years preceding Camby's arrival.  I can't imagine how annoying it must have been to play against them! REFUSE TO LOSE

Lou Roe           SO   F   6-7   13.8 Pts, 9.2 Reb, 1.3 Ast
Tony Barbee   SR   F   6-6   13.5 Pts, 5.5 Reb, 2.4 Ast
Jerome Malloy   SO   G   6-5   12.0 Pts, 3.1 Reb, 1.3 Ast
Harper Williams   SR   F   6-7   15.3 Pts, 8.4 Reb, 1.3 Ast
Mike Williams   SO   G      11.6 Pts, 2.7 Reb, 1.9 Ast
Derek Kellogg   SO   G      5.0 Pts, 2.8 Reb, 5.2 Ast
Dana Dingle   FR   F   6-7   4.9 Pts, 3.7 Reb, 1.1 Ast
Yup

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 07:38:42 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Still waiting on north Carolina get some punishment..waiting..waiting..waiting.
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 07:40:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Still waiting on north Carolina get some punishment..waiting..waiting..waiting.
I'm waiting on Kentucky