Author Topic: What has happened to Okafor  (Read 9462 times)

Re: What has happened to Okafor
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2018, 10:05:23 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Considering we likely won't be able to keep BOTH Baynes + Monroe after this year (probably just 1), see if Okafor is willing to come here on a 1 year, vet. min deal to build his value. Best case scenario, he's an above average big for us off the bench. Low risk, but potentially high reward. I think Okafor would legitimately consider it since it's not like a team is willing to hand him a big contract now obviously, and who better than CBS to increase his stock while also being able to play for a contender.
Brad Stevens hasn't been able to raise the value or play of James Young, RJ Hunter, Jordan Mickey, Jared Sullinger, Kelly Olynyk or Marcus Smart. None of those players got really, any much better while playing under Stevens. They came in as one player and after bei g around Stevens, sometimes for 4 years, were still pretty much the same player.

Sometimes players just aren't good or don't really develop any. I tend to think Ojafor is one of those players and Stevens isn't going to make any difference in his development.

I think every player you just mentioned got at least one more contract in the NBA and Olynyk is playing a big role for a playoff team and just got a million dollar bonus for playing a certain number of games for the 1st time in his career.
Doesn't change the fact they didn't get any better while playing under Brad Stevens. All it means is that teams were willing to pay for a player to play for them at the level those players were playing at when they left the Celtics.

I think they all got better.
I am guessing the opinion that all of those players got better under Stevens would be in the vast minority.

I'm not saying they all even became rotational players or anything like that but I did see improvement in all of those players including James Young and RJ Hunter. I believe they were all better than when they left then when they got here.

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2018, 10:35:22 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Still young but man, what a bust.

Such a waste of (offensive) talent.

Philly went though a bunch of lottery picks to finally settle on Embiid , Fultz and Simmons .   Thats a boat load of screwing fans and not playing basketball for years.
In only 5 seasons, their team was torn down and rebuilt into a top team in the league (5th best record, 4th best point differential).  Their lottery picks from the Hinkie era until now (5 drafts) were Noel, MCW, Embiid, Saric, Okafor, Simmons and Fultz.  So two stars, a solid starter and a work in progress all under 25 plus MCW was recycled into this year's Lakers pick.  To top it off, they can make cap space to get a Max free agent this offseason.  As for their fans, they are packing their arena (3rd best attendance) not sulking about a few down years.

That sounds nice when you put it that way, but I do think 5 years is a long time in the modern NBA when contracts usually only run 4 years. They had enough cap space to have potentially signed some great players if their team wasn't such a wreck.  No top players were signing on to that mess.

The Process was basically about not only not competing on the floor, but admitting franchise incompetence in rebuilding in any other way, e.g. FA and trades, or finding and developing someone not named Covington (whose talent and role remind me of #34: Kevin Gamble).  Now maybe they finally have enough to pieces to work with, but they didn't do much with their lesser assets I don't think, so I'm not sure they can do the difficult good-to-great transformative work.  And even after all that, they need to keep and pay those guys. The Clippers drafted quite a few good players over the years, and their franchise made money too. They sucked.
This is the 5th year of the Sixers rebuild.  So they had 4 bad seasons which is not a long time in the NBA for a rebuild.  The TWolves  just made the playoffs for the 1st time in 14 years.  The Kings have now missed the playoffs for 12 seasons.  Charlotte has only made 3 times in the last 15 seasons.  The Knicks have only made the playoffs 4 times in the last 16 seasons.  Bad teams in the NBA generally stay bad.  Mediocre teams generally plateau at mediocre.  Jumping from really bad (10 wins) to good (52 wins) in two seasons is rather rare. 

You bringing up lesser talent shows you really don't understand the Process.  The Process was about maximizing their chances to get star talent via any means in order to become a true championship contender.  Here's a good article with Hinkie explaining the Process. 

http://www.businessinsider.com/sam-hinkie-explains-sixers-tanking-plan-2015-2
At his press conference, Hinkie explained his thinking.

He said that the only way to win an NBA title is to have a team that can win 55+ games every year. And the only way to have a team that can win 55+ games every year is to get great players. And the only way to get great players is to have enough picks to either 1) draft a great player, or 2) put together a trade package for a great player that can help you make a "big leap."

Here's what he said when asked why he doesn't try to get a little bit better every year:

"What we look at is, how do we add to what we're doing in a way that gets us closer to our goal? We don't think that it will necessarily be linear — that every year you will add five wins and after 10 years you will get to 50. That's not the way we think about the world. We think that it comes at fits and starts, and you have to be prepared to put yourself in a position that you might be able to make big leaps."

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2018, 12:20:57 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Philly went though a bunch of lottery picks to finally settle on Embiid , Fultz and Simmons .   Thats a boat load of screwing fans and not playing basketball for years.
In only 5 seasons, their team was torn down and rebuilt into a top team in the league (5th best record, 4th best point differential).  Their lottery picks from the Hinkie era until now (5 drafts) were Noel, MCW, Embiid, Saric, Okafor, Simmons and Fultz.  So two stars, a solid starter and a work in progress all under 25 plus MCW was recycled into this year's Lakers pick.  To top it off, they can make cap space to get a Max free agent this offseason.  As for their fans, they are packing their arena (3rd best attendance) not sulking about a few down years.

i don't disagree with you at all, but the levels you always go to defend 76ers whenever someone says something negative about them is pretty hilarious
The fact that folks on here are still complaining about the Sixers tanking and "screwing their fans" is hilarious to me.  It doesn't take much effort or thought to respond to those "ostrich with his head in the sand" type of arguments.  Fans of at least half the league would kill to be in the Sixers position.

Meh you constantly defend them and talk about how great just about anyone associated with them is. I think they are good and exciting and think embiid and Simmons are really great exciting players. I think overreacting to fultz having a triple double against bucks backups when about 10 I drafted players had 20+ points in meaningless games is pretty extreme. The zealots are ignoring the fact they are under .500 against eastern playoff teams and were fortunate to play 13 out of 17 lottery teams that were literally hardcore tanking and sitting players at end of season (NBA needs to fix). I think they are 50 50 to win their first round series. I don't know if they can cut their turnovers down

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2018, 12:53:58 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

That sounds nice when you put it that way, but I do think 5 years is a long time in the modern NBA when contracts usually only run 4 years. They had enough cap space to have potentially signed some great players if their team wasn't such a wreck.  No top players were signing on to that mess.

The Process was basically about not only not competing on the floor, but admitting franchise incompetence in rebuilding in any other way, e.g. FA and trades, or finding and developing someone not named Covington (whose talent and role remind me of #34: Kevin Gamble).  Now maybe they finally have enough to pieces to work with, but they didn't do much with their lesser assets I don't think, so I'm not sure they can do the difficult good-to-great transformative work.  And even after all that, they need to keep and pay those guys. The Clippers drafted quite a few good players over the years, and their franchise made money too. They sucked.
This is the 5th year of the Sixers rebuild.  So they had 4 bad seasons which is not a long time in the NBA for a rebuild.  The TWolves  just made the playoffs for the 1st time in 14 years.  The Kings have now missed the playoffs for 12 seasons.  Charlotte has only made 3 times in the last 15 seasons.  The Knicks have only made the playoffs 4 times in the last 16 seasons.  Bad teams in the NBA generally stay bad.  Mediocre teams generally plateau at mediocre.  Jumping from really bad (10 wins) to good (52 wins) in two seasons is rather rare. 

You bringing up lesser talent shows you really don't understand the Process.  The Process was about maximizing their chances to get star talent via any means in order to become a true championship contender.  Here's a good article with Hinkie explaining the Process. 

He said that the only way to win an NBA title is to have a team that can win 55+ games every year. And the only way to have a team that can win 55+ games every year is to get great players. And the only way to get great players is to have enough picks to either 1) draft a great player, or 2) put together a trade package for a great player that can help you make a "big leap."

Here's what he said when asked why he doesn't try to get a little bit better every year:

"What we look at is, how do we add to what we're doing in a way that gets us closer to our goal? We don't think that it will necessarily be linear — that every year you will add five wins and after 10 years you will get to 50. That's not the way we think about the world. We think that it comes at fits and starts, and you have to be prepared to put yourself in a position that you might be able to make big leaps."

Nope, I got it.

They had the space to get better by signing a max guy. Or two. A team can surely get better that way. We did. Miami did. Stars move. Happens most off seasons. They decided to not try. Maybe this year they do.

What they didn't do with their lesser assets was get much value, and that is about basic asset management, nothing to do with the process. So I doubt their ability to make the tweaks down the road.

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2018, 08:21:26 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Nope, I got it.

They had the space to get better by signing a max guy. Or two. A team can surely get better that way. We did. Miami did. Stars move. Happens most off seasons. They decided to not try. Maybe this year they do.

What they didn't do with their lesser assets was get much value, and that is about basic asset management, nothing to do with the process. So I doubt their ability to make the tweaks down the road.
First off you don't know what they tried.  I know there were rumors that they tried to trade for Paul George at last season's trade deadline.  Second, star movement in free agency is dictated by the stars not the teams and is not nearly as frequent as you indicate.  The Lakers have been trying to get stars via free agency for years and have so far struck out.   

As far as lesser talents go, Covington is a good starting SF now.  Holmes and McConnell are still on the team contributing.  MCW was flipped for the Lakers 1st in an absolute steal.  Grant was flipped for Ilyasova and a protected 1st.  They just picked up two of the best available players (Ilyasova and Belinelli) after the trade deadline. 

The question in my mind is will Colangelo waste their available cap space on mediocre players if he strikes out on top free agents.  They don't need anymore Bayless type contracts or worse.  He needs to hold onto the cap space for 2019 if he can't get a star in 2018 free agency.   

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2018, 08:34:34 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Nope, I got it.

First off you don't know what they tried.  I know there were rumors that they tried to trade for Paul George at last season's trade deadline.  Second, star movement in free agency is dictated by the stars not the teams and is not nearly as frequent as you indicate.  The Lakers have been trying to get stars via free agency for years and have so far struck out.   

As far as lesser talents go, Covington is a good starting SF now.  Holmes and McConnell are still on the team contributing.  MCW was flipped for the Lakers 1st in an absolute steal.  Grant was flipped for Ilyasova and a protected 1st.  They just picked up two of the best available players (Ilyasova and Belinelli) after the trade deadline. 

The question in my mind is will Colangelo waste their available cap space on mediocre players if he strikes out on top free agents.  They don't need anymore Bayless type contracts or worse.  He needs to hold onto the cap space for 2019 if he can't get a star in 2018 free agency.
exactly.  If they don't get James or trade for someone like Leonard, then they should just bring Redick back on another 1 year contract and try to get someone like Klay Thompson in 2019. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2018, 08:55:55 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Considering we likely won't be able to keep BOTH Baynes + Monroe after this year (probably just 1), see if Okafor is willing to come here on a 1 year, vet. min deal to build his value. Best case scenario, he's an above average big for us off the bench. Low risk, but potentially high reward. I think Okafor would legitimately consider it since it's not like a team is willing to hand him a big contract now obviously, and who better than CBS to increase his stock while also being able to play for a contender.
Brad Stevens hasn't been able to raise the value or play of James Young, RJ Hunter, Jordan Mickey, Jared Sullinger, Kelly Olynyk or Marcus Smart. None of those players got really, any much better while playing under Stevens. They came in as one player and after bei g around Stevens, sometimes for 4 years, were still pretty much the same player.

Sometimes players just aren't good or don't really develop any. I tend to think Ojafor is one of those players and Stevens isn't going to make any difference in his development.

I will give you James Young, although he, I believe, is STILL on an NBA roster, and one COULD argue that he would NOT be without the influence of Brad.  I will give you Sully.  Brad simply could NOT be with him every second of the day and night to smack the donuts out of his hands!!  But KO had about an 18 PER this year and is a LARGE REASON WHY the Heat are IN the playoffs this year!!  You simply cannot deny the development of Smart's defense under Brad's tutelage and the FACT that his eFG% has gone up EVERY year under Brad (except for the first year):-)))

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/smartma01.html

RJ Hunter was simply a bad draft choice by Danny.  To put that on Brad is horrifically unfair, and I realize that you are NOT putting that on Brad!!

Smitty77

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2018, 09:02:22 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I will give you James Young, although he, I believe, is STILL on an NBA roster, and one COULD argue that he would NOT be without the influence of Brad.  I will give you Sully.  Brad simply could NOT be with him every second of the day and night to smack the donuts out of his hands!!  But KO had about an 18 PER this year and is a LARGE REASON WHY
per36 KO's career best this season are just assists, FTA, DRB, PER, TS%, USG, and that is it.  He also has his career worst for TOV.  In fact, his per minute production is pretty similar every single season he has been in the league.  This idea that KO is a vastly different player in Miami is just silly nonsense.  He plays a few more minutes a game and shoots more from 3 point range, but those are the only real differences in KO.  His actual on court production is almost identical. 

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2018, 09:29:42 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Grant is a rotation player for the Thunder. Smith found his groove in Philly and is playing well on the Pistons. Tim Frazier seems to be playing well. Dedmon went through Philly. McConnell and Holmes were undrafted and a 2nd rounder, both in their 3rd year and playing well.  Not stars but quality role players all given a chance to prove it in Philly and they did just that.

All that being said, they completely WHIFFED on MCW (#11 pick), Noel (#6 pick), and Okafor (#3 pick)!!!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2018, 09:36:40 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

I will give you James Young, although he, I believe, is STILL on an NBA roster, and one COULD argue that he would NOT be without the influence of Brad.  I will give you Sully.  Brad simply could NOT be with him every second of the day and night to smack the donuts out of his hands!!  But KO had about an 18 PER this year and is a LARGE REASON WHY
per36 KO's career best this season are just assists, FTA, DRB, PER, TS%, USG, and that is it.  He also has his career worst for TOV.  In fact, his per minute production is pretty similar every single season he has been in the league.  This idea that KO is a vastly different player in Miami is just silly nonsense.  He plays a few more minutes a game and shoots more from 3 point range, but those are the only real differences in KO.  His actual on court production is almost identical.

This is just flat out wrong!!  Kelly's eFG% increased EVERY year EXCEPT a slight .2% decrease from 2014-2015 to 2015-2016.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/o/olynyke01.html

His eFG% has increased from 50.6% in his first year to 58% this year.  Yes, Brad did not coach him THIS year, so last year he shot 57.9% in eFG%.  I would argue that KO might be playing in Europe right NOW had he NOT had Brad as his coach for 4 years!!

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2018, 09:40:08 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Grant is a rotation player for the Thunder. Smith found his groove in Philly and is playing well on the Pistons. Tim Frazier seems to be playing well. Dedmon went through Philly. McConnell and Holmes were undrafted and a 2nd rounder, both in their 3rd year and playing well.  Not stars but quality role players all given a chance to prove it in Philly and they did just that.

All that being said, they completely WHIFFED on MCW (#11 pick), Noel (#6 pick), and Okafor (#3 pick)!!!!!

Smitty77

How do you whiff on someone who became rookie of the year in Carter-Williams? That makes no sense. Then they managed to capitalize on it and gets a LAL first rounder out of selling on him?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2018, 09:44:09 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

i don't disagree with you at all, but the levels you always go to defend 76ers whenever someone says something negative about them is pretty hilarious
The fact that folks on here are still complaining about the Sixers tanking and "screwing their fans" is hilarious to me.  It doesn't take much effort or thought to respond to those "ostrich with his head in the sand" type of arguments.  Fans of at least half the league would kill to be in the Sixers position.

You conveniently forgot to mention that the Sixers got incredibly lucky. It was not a given their draft picks would be as high as they ended up.

There was no strategy, it was simply a gamble.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2018, 09:46:32 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
For once, I was right about a player. I have not wanted anything to do with this player since the beginning and always got sick to my stomach with the thought of us trading anyone for him. It is super rare for a player who shows bad judgement and discipline off the court, to thrive in the NBA, especially when you see bad signs right out of the gate. That incident outside the club was all I needed to see. Danny and Steven's have not shown a desire to bring any malcontents to our team so far and I would expect that to stay the same.

Okafor and Sully could be teammates someday soon. I would much rather take a flyer on Sully then Okafor as well as I actually like Sully.

Players like Dennis Rodman are rare in the NBA and that is because his talent at rebounding and defending was undeniable. Cousin's is another player with an unreal amount of talent as well but he has not put it together for his team yet as well.

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2018, 09:56:43 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

This is just flat out wrong!!  Kelly's eFG% increased EVERY year EXCEPT a slight .2% decrease from 2014-2015 to 2015-2016.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/o/olynyke01.html

His eFG% has increased from 50.6% in his first year to 58% this year.  Yes, Brad did not coach him THIS year, so last year he shot 57.9% in eFG%.  I would argue that KO might be playing in Europe right NOW had he NOT had Brad as his coach for 4 years!!
eFG% is based on 2PT and 3PT%.  This year is not KO's career high in either 2PT or 3PT percentage, though collectively he shot enough 3's at a good enough percentage this year to slightly edge his eFG% of last year.

« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2018, 11:41:22 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Smitty77

How do you whiff on someone who became rookie of the year in Carter-Williams? That makes no sense. Then they managed to capitalize on it and gets a LAL first rounder out of selling on him?

It was definitely a good deal for philly given what mcw has become. However trading the 11th pick for the 10th pick 5 years later overall is pretty a lateral move if you think about it. For example if the lottery did not exist and you knew the slots ahead of time I doubt Cleveland would trade the 8th pick for the 7th pick 5 years from now. Mcw was also a pretty bad pick at that slot given adams and ga were taken immediately after