Author Topic: Is Chris Webber the worst analyst ever?  (Read 9011 times)

Re: Is Chris Webber the worst analyst ever?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2016, 09:48:33 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I think Webber is one of the best broadcasters out there, one of the most objective guys out there. On the other hand im starting to dislike our own home games because of the constant complaining. I much rather prefer the away games, Scal is awesome at what he does.

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2016, 12:05:13 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Hubie Brown has is the best for us edgumacated ones. I would watch/listen to him do a phily suns game if he was on the idiot box.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2016, 12:29:58 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I don't like them as much as I enjoy listening to Breen-Van Gundy. I hate that Marv Albert always puts emphasis on the players name

Here is MIROTIC... YES!
Now here comes JEREBKO, started his career in DETROIT, with the PISTONS!

Idk, maybe I'm just weird...
they are the absolute worst to listen too - especially when combined with Mark Jackson who I find absolutely insufferable

Van Gundy is amazing to listen to. Breen and Van Gundy has to be the best mainstream combo out there on national TV. Hubie Brown is atrocious. Reggie Miller is atrocious.

I agree with the people who say Weber is good in studio but mediocre at calling games. I like Weber and I know people had beef with his announcing in the playoffs a few years ago but I enjoyed him to a certain extent. I can see why people dislike him however and I think hes actually gotten worse.

We are very lucky to have Tommy and Mike and Mike and Scal. I think Scal is great. We're also to have the radio guys we do. Its difficult for me to listen to basketball on the radio but Maxwell and Sean are very enjoyable to listen to.

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2016, 12:32:45 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Do you remember Magic when he was on the NBA on NBC in the early to mid 90s?

Now, he was the worst. 

There's plenty of horrible color guys on the local telecasts, though.  League Pass will illustrate that to you.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2016, 12:46:24 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
Tommy Heinsohn is REALLY bad at times. He says the same things over and over and over. Listen I love Mike and Tommy, but I feel bad for opposing team fans that need to listen to him.

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2016, 12:56:39 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Guys who say inane stuff and lack any kind of objectivity bother me more.

Mark Jackson.

My favorite play by play / calm analysis guy is Mike Gorman.  Best in the business and nobody can tell me different.

Jeff Van Gundy is great for a bit of color and some big picture ranting about the sport and the league in general.

You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2016, 01:09:27 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Guys who say inane stuff and lack any kind of objectivity bother me more.

Mark Jackson.

Mark Jackson adds a lot of comedy value because you never know when he's going to go on a thinly veiled rant about his time with the Warriors.  One of the early games this year he started going off about how Fred Hoiberg shouldn't get all the credit for the Bulls winning because Thibodeau laid the foundation by creating a winning culture.  He went on and on.  It was pretty comical. 

...other than that, though, he's pretty worthless.  And that's coming from someone who only finds Reggie Miller mildly annoying and likes Webber fine.  Agree Van Gundy's probably the best national color guy though.

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2016, 01:30:40 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Tommy Heinsohn is REALLY bad at times. He says the same things over and over and over. Listen I love Mike and Tommy, but I feel bad for opposing team fans that need to listen to him.

TH is the best . how can you not like the guy?

The best commentator imo is Marv Albert or that guy that sounds exactly like him. Lol

Best analyst is hubie brown

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2016, 01:36:06 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17

The best commentator imo is Marv Albert or that guy that sounds exactly like him. Lol

Apart from Tommys history with the team, what else does he bring to the commentating?

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2016, 01:43:32 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
I have to say...outside of Tommy & Mike I absolutely love the NBA TV analysts. Brent Barry is awesome..he always has great insight probably my next favorite to those guys & Scal. I actually like Rick Fox and Matt Winer too.
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2016, 05:08:02 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Hubie Brown has a losing record as a head coach for a reason and has coached some of the worst teams of all time.  Marv Albert likes to wear women's underwear and go around biting women.  I used to like him more when he was the knicks announcer.  Brent Barry's father was a racist.  Chris Webber made one of worst blunders in NCAA history.

Tommy might be a homer but at least he sticks to his roots and is a winner.  His entire career is that.  He would step up come playoff time more than anyone as a player as well.  Underappreciated, overlooked.  Tommy keeps it real.   His dedication to the celtics and competitive spirit is that.

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2016, 05:18:08 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Apart from Tommys history with the team, what else does he bring to the commentating?
Well the fact that he is in the Hall as a player and a coach suggests that he has as much basketball experience and know-how as nearly anyone in the world and his 30+ years experience as a commentator should count for something.

I mean what are you looking for?

If Tommy doesnt bring anything to commentating than God knows what chris webber brings
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2016, 05:32:33 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Hubie Brown has a losing record as a head coach for a reason and has coached some of the worst teams of all time.  Marv Albert likes to wear women's underwear and go around biting women.  I used to like him more when he was the knicks announcer.  Brent Barry's father was a racist.  Chris Webber made one of worst blunders in NCAA history.

Zero of these things have anything to do with ability as a commentator.  Heck, one of them barely has anything to do with the commentator.

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2016, 05:38:33 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

Zero of these things have anything to do with ability as a commentator.  Heck, one of them barely has anything to do with the commentator.

I think it does actually.  Hubie Brown is a bad coach and a bad analyst.  He doesn't understand what it takes to win.  The same can be said for everyone else really.  TNT might as well hire Leon Lett and every other flunky.  It's just dumbing down and catering to the average idiot for mass ratings.

If Hubie Brown was a better analyst, he'd have been a better coach.  The two go together really. 

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2016, 06:03:26 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
If you really listen to hubie brown, I bet a lot of people just assume he knows what he is talking about.  He is the type of guy and a lot of them are it's more how you sound then what he's actually saying.  He likes to spout off basketball fundamentals that have absolutely nothing to do with what is going on on the floor.  It's also why he was probably a bad coach.  While a coach like Stevens is completely in tune with what is going on and adjusting to the action and running circles around a guy like Hubie Brown, he  is off trying to sound articulate talking about the 2-3 zone.