Author Topic: Woodson makes JR get rid of his blonde hair  (Read 7806 times)

Re: Woodson makes JR get rid of his blonde hair
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 10:23:38 AM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
I agree with Woodson on this. You're a professional, look like one.

"Professional"? So should "Professional" abstract painters wear a suit and tie, and only rock crew cuts? Who really cares? He died his hair, he should be able to do whatever he wants with his body it's his body.

It's not like JR got a middle finger tatoo on his forehead. Calm down old man.  ::)

I think if it was coming from another coach then it probably would be a problem. Woodson is a no nonsense type of guy and I think they respect that out of him. That's like if Jordan Crawford decided to dye his hair orange and Doc (while he was still the coach) told him to change it, I bet Crawford would respect Doc enough to do it (whether it was a big deal or not).

I'm not old, I'm all about the image. I always want to present myself like a professional and look like one vs looking like a thug or a bum. I'm not saying he should wear suits and ties outside of the court, but something as simple as dying your hair? I mean, I don't take anyone who dyes their hair seriously.

And as the above said, this is coming from his own coach. He could choose to keep the dye for all I care, but I essentially take the coach as your manager. If you can't do something as simple as that request, then you're not a real professional. Don't forget, he's not only representing himself, he is also representing his team.
So you didn't take Ainge seriously when he put together our championship team?  He had a horrible orange/red dye job until a couple years ago when he went natural.

;D ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2013, 10:34:18 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
This is hilarious. It really is.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2013, 11:10:53 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
IMO, Woodson is WRONG.  What the heck does it matter what color his hair is?  And how is his hair color controlling the way he behaves? ??? ::) 

Is there an NBA rule against dying your hair?
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2013, 11:25:43 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
the knicks are not alone.

"The Florida Marlins are taking a page out of the New York Yankees' book and instituting a rigorous new dress code that frowns upon long hair and earrings."

it is not a question of whether anyone here likes or dislikes such codes. that is irrelevant. almost every single business i know of has some form of professional dress/appearance standards.

the thinking behind such standards, like and dislike aside, is that the person is an employee and while working for an organization this person also represents that organization.

and honestly, in the cosmic scheme of things, i have difficulty summoning forth a great deal of sympathy or many feelings of injustice for multimillionaires having to dress and act professionally to collect their pay checks. virtually all working people do this and follow such codes.

EDITED TO ADD:
employers in the USA have a legal right to ask you to adhere to dress codes:

"A person can be fired because the company doesn’t like your shoes,” explains Robert D. Lipman, who manages the New York employment firm Lipman & Plesur, LLP .  . .

“People say ‘This is America. We should be able to do what we want.’ But I tell them that once you walk into a private employers workplace, your rights are limited.”

Plus, it's not sexual discrimination to require separate grooming standards and dress codes for men and women:

"In 1998, the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals in Harper v. Blockbuster Entertainment upheld Blockbuster’s dress code that mandated male employees to cut their long hair, but not female employees."
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2013, 11:35:00 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
IMO, it's not that big of a deal that he was asked to change it. Regardless if it's a league rule or not, it's something that the organization wants and he's employed by that organization. If Smith feels like it's unfair then he can take the issue higher, but my guess is that it's not that serious to him either.

We have dress codes of some form at work, some may not be written, but if the boss brings it to our attention we'd correct it.

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2013, 11:45:15 AM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
The Knucks always find a way, don't they?

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2013, 12:09:19 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Coach is just wrong, totally wrong.  Why stop at JR's blonde hair?  What about that hot mess on Shumpert's head?  What about Copeland's dreads?  I don't see any of the three being different than the other.  Haircuts, and colors are by nature a way of expressing one's individuality.

But, I don't see this as something the team doesn't have a right to do.  So, if the owner supports the coach here, JR will have to oblige, unfortunately.

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2013, 12:13:23 PM »

Offline quidinqui33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 71

"Professional"? So should "Professional" abstract painters wear a suit and tie, and only rock crew cuts? Who really cares? He died his hair, he should be able to do whatever he wants with his body it's his body.

It's not like JR got a middle finger tatoo on his forehead. Calm down old man.  ::)

I think if it was coming from another coach then it probably would be a problem. Woodson is a no nonsense type of guy and I think they respect that out of him. That's like if Jordan Crawford decided to dye his hair orange and Doc (while he was still the coach) told him to change it, I bet Crawford would respect Doc enough to do it (whether it was a big deal or not).

I'm not old, I'm all about the image. I always want to present myself like a professional and look like one vs looking like a thug or a bum. I'm not saying he should wear suits and ties outside of the court, but something as simple as dying your hair? I mean, I don't take anyone who dyes their hair seriously.

And as the above said, this is coming from his own coach. He could choose to keep the dye for all I care, but I essentially take the coach as your manager. If you can't do something as simple as that request, then you're not a real professional. Don't forget, he's not only representing himself, he is also representing his team.

We are treading on thing ice here, but aren't you essentially saying that when a black guy dies his hair blonde (he has a perfectly normal haircut) he is a bum or a thug, and white folks can die their hair blonde, red, brunnette, etc. or look like Birdman and it is perfectly ok.

Mike Woodson is in the wrong here.  These are basketball players in who are partly in the the entertainment business.  Asking JR to change his hair is what is making this an issue at all.

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2013, 01:03:32 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Well, he got rid of his blonde hair! It's red now! ;D

http://instagram.com/p/cy7dR4tfAj/
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2013, 01:03:35 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
If Chandler were a Yankee he would have to shave the beard. 

If the hair color thing was always in place and it was known, it wouldn't be as bad.  But it seems like Smith is being picked on because of his past history and his reputation.

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2013, 01:23:13 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

We are treading on thing ice here, but aren't you essentially saying that when a black guy dies his hair blonde (he has a perfectly normal haircut) he is a bum or a thug, and white folks can die their hair blonde, red, brunnette, etc. or look like Birdman and it is perfectly ok.

Mike Woodson is in the wrong here.  These are basketball players in who are partly in the the entertainment business.  Asking JR to change his hair is what is making this an issue at all.
The thug connection completely confused me. I fail to see the connection between dying hair blond and being a thug. Perhaps that is not what he was referring to in the earlier comment.

I am fine with Woodson's actions. It is a team sport. I have no problem with a coach not wanting players to be spectacles, especially a guy like JR who already wants to do his own thing during the game.

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2013, 01:41:16 PM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32

The thug connection completely confused me. I fail to see the connection between dying hair blond and being a thug. Perhaps that is not what he was referring to in the earlier comment.

I am fine with Woodson's actions. It is a team sport. I have no problem with a coach not wanting players to be spectacles, especially a guy like JR who already wants to do his own thing during the game.

<sarcasm>
because black people are "thugs"?  ::)
</sarcasm>

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2013, 01:50:34 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I think Olynyk should cut his hair... he looks like an idiot.  It's no big deal, though. 

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2013, 01:51:26 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I think Olynyk should cut his hair... he looks like an idiot.

Are you seriously judging another man by his looks? Smh.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2013, 02:15:38 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Yeah, because the hundred tattoos look completely professional.

Why single him out. What about the 6 inch flat tops. What about the dreads? What about long beards? Is he getting rid of those too? If so fine, have consistency in how the team looks as a policy.

But if he's letting every thing else go I have a problem with that.