Author Topic: Dont resign Allen (ouch)  (Read 8069 times)

Dont resign Allen (ouch)
« on: June 10, 2012, 02:04:42 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
I love Ray Allen as much as the next guy but we need some young legs and he will be a 36 year old player coming off of bone spurs surgery. And dont want to sign him a 2-3 year deal either. If we can get him cheap for 1 year, I do it. But doubt it. Remember folks, NBA is a business no matter how loyalty there is. This team got to get better to compete with Chicago and Miami and if we have the same team next year, wont make it.
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Re: Dont resign Allen (ouch)
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 02:06:08 PM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
If he agrees for the MLE or a little above that bring him back...this team doesn't need much in order to improve next year. Letting Allen walk (healthy Allen) absolutely isn't the answer

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 02:07:07 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If there are not top level FA or trades, I am all for offering a one year 10 million contract to Ray. 

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 01:39:44 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
If there are not top level FA or trades, I am all for offering a one year 10 million contract to Ray. 

I don't think he is worth $10M, but if that gets him back and there is nowhere else to put our cap space, I'd be fine with it.

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 01:43:11 PM »

Offline CantBeRight

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Not 1...not 2...not 3...not 4...BUT 17

10mil for a 36 year old coming off bone spurs surgery???

You're delusional.
Celtics fan in Houston.

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 01:46:26 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

You're delusional.

Not really.  It keeps the Celtics dealing with a one year deal vs. paying less a year for multiple years. 

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 02:22:55 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie

You're delusional.

Not really.  It keeps the Celtics dealing with a one year deal vs. paying less a year for multiple years.  

I'm fully onboard with this.

I love Ray Allen as much as the next guy.

Not if I'm the next guy.

Remember folks, NBA is a business no matter how loyalty there is. This team got to get better to compete with Chicago and Miami and if we have the same team next year, wont make it.

Rose won't be back until February at the earliest, and even then no one should expect him to be anywhere near the player he was pre-microfracture surgery until the 2013-14 season. There are already rumors that Chicago will at least consider sitting him a full season. The East is wide open.

And for all the hay that fans want to make out of Ray's age and bone spurs, the next healthy season Avery Bradley has will be his first...

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 02:28:22 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
If Ray Allen wants minutes on a contending team, I don't see why the Celtics still aren't the best fit.

There are 96 backcourt minutes to go around for Rondo, Bradley, and Allen. Ray should easily have a shot at 30-35 of those a night.

No way he gets 20 in Miami. Chicago has to wait for their roster to get healthy. New York could offer the minutes, but a shot at a ring?

If these rumors of friction between Ray and Rondo are true, then that's another thing entirely. But in terms of money, minutes, and a shot at a ring, Celtics have virtually every team beat, I think.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 02:39:58 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
The C's don't need three creaky old men in their rotation--and another year without holding any practices because those three are all gasping for breath on their off days.

Danny's done the right thing and said nice things about Ray, and if they end up both trading Pierce and losing KG, then for the right price they'd probably welcome Ray back.

But I'm not worried about his being here next year.

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 03:53:33 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
The C's don't need three creaky old men in their rotation--and another year without holding any practices because those three are all gasping for breath on their off days.

Danny's done the right thing and said nice things about Ray, and if they end up both trading Pierce and losing KG, then for the right price they'd probably welcome Ray back.

But I'm not worried about his being here next year.

Somebody buy this man a Jiri Welsch jersey.

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 03:54:58 PM »

Offline Senninsage

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 112
Yea, don't resign the guy who, on a bad ankle that needs surgery, was one of your better players in game 7.

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 03:56:57 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
If Ainge gives KG two years, I wouldn't hesitate to give Ray the same.  I just don't want to see them go beyond 2014 when Pierce's contract expires. 

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 06:42:16 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Big respect for Ray, Gentelman, great player, nice guy. Hope he's coming back ;)

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 07:08:20 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If Ainge gives KG two years, I wouldn't hesitate to give Ray the same.  I just don't want to see them go beyond 2014 when Pierce's contract expires. 

I like the offer of one year with a player option for a second year.  One year means they can't be traded without their consent.  The player option means they don't have to come back for a second year if they think they are just trade fodder.  Protection against being traded is probably something both players would value.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 07:12:48 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

I like the offer of one year with a player option for a second year.  One year means they can't be traded without their consent.  The player option means they don't have to come back for a second year if they think they are just trade fodder.  Protection against being traded is probably something both players would value.

Yeah.  That's preferable.  But unless Danny really has his eyes set on someone in 2013 and honestly thinks he can get him (obviously we'd all love Dwight), I'd go a second year.