Author Topic: Better parity in the NBA is NOT a Pipe Dream  (Read 13048 times)

Better parity in the NBA is NOT a Pipe Dream
« on: December 13, 2011, 05:58:14 PM »

Offline ballin

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
Recently I've heard a lot of the writers and so-called experts over at espn.com and other sites proclaim that greater parity in the NBA is a fantasy; the NBA has always been a top-heavy league, and it always will be. They attribute this allegedly unassailable maxim to any number of reasons:

-Some free agent destinations will always just be better than others.
-There is an inherent lack of supply of talented tall people, and the league is just too large for every team to be competitive.
-The league will never have greater parity because we shouldn't WANT it to have greater parity; the league is at it's best when teams like New York, Boston, and LA are dominating.

And you know what? Hey, I'll admit that these are some pretty good points. And maybe absolute parity is strictly out of the question. But there's no doubt that the league can have greater parity then it currently has... all it takes is a little creativity.

Here are the two problems that I think can be fixed in a relatively painless way that would lead to greater parity:

1) Teams that are bad tend to be bad for a longggg time. It's very difficult to crawl out of the basement in this league. This fact creates a greater disparity between the teams at the top and the teams at the bottom.

2) The stacking of superstars on a handful of teams makes the league incredibly top-heavy in terms of talent.

Here are my proposed solutions:

1) Teams that are bad should have a greater opportunity for a quicker and more effective turnaround season-by-season. It would keep the league more fresh and exciting (a la the NFL) and give the fans a reason to continue caring about their team if there's a chance that they can get better again in the short-term.

We actually already have a system in place that's designed for this very purpose: it's called the draft. I simply propose that we improve the draft by putting it on steroids. Instead of two rounds where all 30 teams in the league pick sequentially, here is how it could be done to better benefit the worst teams:

-Instead of giving the team with the worst record the 1st and 31st pick, we condense the rounds so that there are essentially 6 rounds, divided into 3 categories of 10 teams: the lottery (1-10 worst records) the middlers (11-20) and the last round (21-30)

-The lottery would go first and use all of their draft picks before the next group of teams goes. In other words, the worst team in the league would get the 1st pick AND the 11th pick, while the 2nd worst team would get the 2nd pick and the 12th, and so on, up until the 21st pick.

-At the 21st pick, the 11th worst record picks, and they would also get the 31st pick. Starting to make sense? That would continue for all of the middlers, and then the process for picks 40-60 would apply to the last round.

-The result is that teams should be able to get better much more quickly by allowing them to stockpile better talent.

2) Here is how I would deal with the creation of superteams. I'm not a fan of the "franchise tag" for legal reasons, as it would probably run afoul of antitrust law. However, there is another option. As you might have noticed, the creation of superteams has usually come about as a result of a superstar leaving the team that drafted through free agency or forcing a trade to a team with other superstars.

Why does this happen? because the salary they're going to get paid anywhere in the league is roughly equivalent, so they'd rather go somewhere where they can make money AND win (of course factoring in bonuses such as nice weather, better cities, etc.).

Some examples:
-Shaq leaving Orlando for the Lakers
-Lebron and Chris Bosh to the Heat (duh)
-Wherever the heck Dwight Howard goes
-etc. (there are lots more)

The solution would be to allow hometeams to get an advantage in the bargaining process by being allowed to offer the players that they drafted whatever the league max is PLUS 50% of that maximum salary. The 50% bonus would not count towards the salary cap.

This substantial difference in salary would greatly help hometown teams to retain the superstars that they draft, and would reduce the formation of superteams, thereby helping competitive balance. Would players still want to form superteams to win? Sure, but they wouldn't want to forego, say, and extra 10 million a year in order to form a superteam. Or at least they'd think long and hard about giving up that kind of money.

The reason why the 50% max salary bonus wouldn't apply to the cap is because it would allow these teams to remain competitive  by still being able to build real teams around these superstars.

So in conclusion:

I've proposed a way to help bad teams get better more quickly, and a way to help teams retain superstars to prevent the formation of superteams. I suggest that both methods would increase competitive balance.

That said, I would love to hear any comments and/or criticism.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 06:09:21 PM by ballin »

Re: Better parity in the NBA is NOT a Pipe Dream
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 06:12:38 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
   Not bad ideas.  The draft is too unfair to the 11th worst team which would only get the 21st and 31st pick?  Also it's too unfair to the top teams who can't rebuild and are forced to offer contracts to 40-50 talent.
   Ironically, I think the superstar clusters are only happening because of individual salary caps.  The superstars should get what they are worth on the open market.  Let's see if Chris Paul would leave 25 million in NO for 15 in New York.
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 06:13:28 PM »

Offline KevinGamble

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 26
  • MWMWMWMWMWMW

-Some free agent destinations will always just be better than others.

I like your post and your draft idea.  I think the free agency problem is the one that really needs fixing.  How can LA and NY be on the same level as the Bucks?  It's too bad nothing in this CBA addressed that.

thanks for posting.
"You're skating on pretty thin ice around here, McGee!"
"Sounds like the ice's problem."

2 for the Show!
GO CELTS!

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 06:28:42 PM »

Offline ballin

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
   Not bad ideas.  The draft is too unfair to the 11th worst team which would only get the 21st and 31st pick?  Also it's too unfair to the top teams who can't rebuild and are forced to offer contracts to 40-50 talent.
   Ironically, I think the superstar clusters are only happening because of individual salary caps.  The superstars should get what they are worth on the open market.  Let's see if Chris Paul would leave 25 million in NO for 15 in New York.

My draft proposal would be pretty harsh for the 2nd and 3rd rounders, but I think it's good tradeoff if we want to help bad teams get better. Personally, I'd rather see a team like Minnesota or Cleveland climb back into relevancy before I'd like to see a team like the Rockets cling to mediocrity by getting "base hits" on their 11th draft picks.

But yeah, it seems that we both agree that the max salary exception would help competitive balance. CP3 would be thinking a LOT harder about leaving right now if he had to pick between 25 mil in NO and 15 mil in LA.

And the only reason he'd even CONSIDER that is because the Hornets are legitimately that terrible. In contrast, there's no way Lebron would have left Cleveland if they could have been able to offer him 30 million.

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 07:30:07 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Interestingly enough, part of the cause of the current problem is INDIVIDUAL max contracts. If you can get the same amount everywhere, might as well go where you want. If there was just a team cap, but no individual max, a team in a less desirable location could be compelled to offer upwards of 50% of its entire cap for a marquee FA.

But here's what I think will eventually happen: Real Life fantasy basketball.

-To provide some player continuity, this only happens every 2 years.

-No more rookie scale.

All 30 owners get together and have 65 million to spend or whatever it is to match the current total payroll.

All players are thrown into one giant pool. They are ranked by some 5 person panel in order of skill. In order, they are "nominated" to the league. Bidding opens. All contracts are automatically 2 years long at the bid price. You can bid up to 6,000,000 dollars within the team budget limit to allow for a minimum of 12 500,000 minimum contracts to fill out the roster. If multiple teams are stuck offering the minimum on a player, the player gets to choose.

Takes place over a few days. Drinks are provided, it is televised.

Every 2 years, a player earns 3 teams to put on his "list." Teams on a player's "list" can only sign the player if they offer a minimum amount of money set by the player. For example, a 3rd year player can select 3 teams and say "sure, Minnesota, Milwaukee and Toronto can sign me, but they have to pay me 20 million a year and win the bidding to do so." A player who has played 10 years can basically eliminate half the league.

By the end of draft week, teams must have at least 12 roster spots full and have spent at least 85% of their budget.

After all the rosters are set, trades can happen as currently constructed i.e. 125% of matching salaries.

Free agent pickups are done by "waiver wire:" a player gets nominated, and teams have 24 hours to bid with their leftover money; some teams will only have minimum contracts, some will have 15% of their operating budget.

Notice that rookies can only enter the league every two years. I haven't thought of a way around that yet. Maybe "odd year rookies" would be drafted in reverse order of finish from the first year of a 2 year stretch and be given a league-set salary, to try to bring more balance to year 2 of a given stretch. In fact, let's do that.

Pros
-Because it's all based on bidding, there are no "future assets," so teams can't mortgage the future for winning now.
-Even if you blow an auction, it's only 2 seasons max of suckitude; potentially 1 season if you get an impact rookie for year 2.
-Every team is competitive every 2 years
-There's a chance your team could get ANY player at any time just by bidding the most.
-Fans don't have to wait for 5 years of "potential" to develop.
-Guarantees same amount of $$ goes to players as currently does and per-team budget raises can be given based on league revenue.
-Guarantees the best players make the most instead of players getting overpaid long contracts.

Cons
-No player continuity
-No dynasties, unless a GM is AWESOME.
-Free agent choice is quite limited (though awesomely rewarded by longevity)

« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 07:35:51 PM by Fan from VT »

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 07:45:24 PM »

Offline 33_Larry Legend_33

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 87
One word: CONTRACTION

The elimination of 2-4 teams would create a more competitive league.  4 teams at 15 players per is the reduction of 60 players.  We could start a list here of 60 guys who should be out of the league.  Fewer teams in the draft lottery provides a greater opportunity to get a better player for the losing teams.

Not a total solution, and the ideas by the OP are very good...this would help remove NBA players who should be D-League guys...

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 07:47:33 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
Raise the max contract to $35 million per annum.

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 07:49:25 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I think that they should limit teams to having no more that 2 players making more than 75% or so of the max. Chandler wants to go to the Knicks? He can't make over 12 or so. The Clips want to pick up CP3 without giving up Gordon? They have to unload CP3, Gordon or Griffin by the time those two get off their rookie contracts. Teams that are in the lottery for a few years and have a few chips will have a good chance at landing a star. It should spread the talent around.

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 08:24:09 PM »

Offline YouGotRondo d

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
3 things:

1. Contraction. NO and the 2 other least profitable franchises over like a 10-15 year period. SAC and CHA?

2. Hard Cap. Make it so that no team can ever get 3 superstars under the cap.

3. Allow a franchise to designate one drafted player as the "franchise player" and allow them to offer him a significantly higher salary than any other team. Then allow, for that team only, some of that to not count against the cap. By staying, the franchise player offers his team cap relief to bring in more talent.

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 09:08:08 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
The majority of fans around the nation and the world, do not give a rats you know what about the crappy teams in the league.

Why should the league, bend over backwards, to try and give the worst teams the greatest of advantages?

I actually feel like the best teams in the league should get the 1st pick of the draft.

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 09:15:30 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
your draft system would encourage tanking like x10000.

if you're not gonna make the playoffs but you fall into that second tier category, why bother winning?  if you don't even make the playoffs but your team has to pick 22nd, how do you rebuild without totally tanking?
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 09:42:29 PM »

Offline dlpin

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 183
Raise the max contract to $35 million per annum.

I completely agree. The best way to help teams keep their superstars and increase parity is do away with maximum individual contracts.

- As someone else mentioned, if pay is the same, the incentive to go to the markets with greater endorsement money is greater.

- In addition, larger individual contracts means a team won't be able to fit multiple superstars under the same cap. If a team was able to offer Lebron 25 million a year, they wouldn't be able to offer the same deal to other superstars.

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 10:17:25 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Yeah, raising the max contract but keeping the salary cap the same seems the best option for limiting these superstar teams.  Make these players take a truly substantial financial hit if they want to be on the same team.  if lebron / wade were taking up 80% of your cap you'd really think twice before loading up like that.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 10:32:11 PM »

Offline 317

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 25
they need to do something about teams in states with no state income tax. it more or an issue in Baseball but it has an effect in Basketball too.

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 10:33:09 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'm not in agreement that parity is a big concern.  However, I do believe that teams that land a top player in the draft, ala Cleveland with Lebron, should have a distinct advantage in retaining that player. 

I think something similar to the NFL's franchise player system would be manageable.  A team can designate a player as their franchise player but they're required to pay that player the average of the top 3 salaries of players at that same position.  I think what also has to go along with this is the elimination of guaranteed contracts.  Players that tank on their contracts have to be able to be jettisoned. 

Restrict free agency to players that have either played 5 years in the league or have reached 23 years of age--whichever they reach first--and have not signed a contract with their current team.  To give the home team the incentive, other than franchise tag, allow signing bonuses only to those teams and not to others.  With the addition of non-guaranteed contracts, the players would have the incentive to take the home money for the guaranteed signing bonuses.

Just some thoughts.