Author Topic: Knicks will consider buying out Nate Robinson  (Read 6815 times)

Re: Knicks will consider buying out Nate Robinson
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2009, 05:25:38 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
I don't think Nate Robinson is a punk at all.

The guy has gotten into multiple fights with teammates, including going after one of them with a broom (or a mop, or whatever it was).  His own teammates call him a "jerk".  Both Larry Brown and Mike D'Antoni didn't like him, and now the Knicks are more successful without him than with him.  Plus, he's one of the biggest showboats in the league, despite never winning games to back it up.

Nate is the very definition of "punk", and he'd probably make the top ten list of "player least likely to buy into ubuntu".  It continually shocks me that so many Celtics fans favor taking chances on talented jerks, rather than sticking with the system that won us a championship.

Well it's a small gamble if you sign him for the min. I think that's what people are saying.

I just take everything that comes out of the Knicks with a salt lick of salt. It's a terrible franchise with nothing going for it. I think players can only be judged when they leave that environment..

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2009, 05:34:58 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
In the past few weeks, it seems the Knicks have found a winning formula and Nate Robinson isn’t one of the ingredients. Although he is perfectly healthy, the diminutive guard has not played in the Knicks’ last nine games due to coach Mike D’Antoni’s decision. In that stretch, the Knicks are 6-3 and when Nate is in the lineup, the team is just 0-9 when he scores 19 or more points. Whether or not those stats imply that the Knicks are better without Robinson in the lineup is debatable. But by the looks of D’Antoni’s actions, the coaching staff seems to think that’s the case.

Link.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2009, 05:57:52 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
In the past few weeks, it seems the Knicks have found a winning formula and Nate Robinson isn’t one of the ingredients. Although he is perfectly healthy, the diminutive guard has not played in the Knicks’ last nine games due to coach Mike D’Antoni’s decision. In that stretch, the Knicks are 6-3 and when Nate is in the lineup, the team is just 0-9 when he scores 19 or more points. Whether or not those stats imply that the Knicks are better without Robinson in the lineup is debatable. But by the looks of D’Antoni’s actions, the coaching staff seems to think that’s the case.

Link.

I think D-Antoni is off his rocker if he thinks that his team is better off without Nate. His team is horrible either way, but Nate can be no worse than the insultingly awful Duhon. Maybe someone needs to be a jerk to his teammates as they are a bunch of pathetic losers. Who knows but Nate is no the problem in NY IMHO. How can a player than can create his offense and offense for others possibly make a team worse? Oh well he will help someone else that maybe has a chance..

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2009, 06:09:07 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Congratulations Hobbs you've changed my mind on Nate.

I don't want him.

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2009, 06:33:14 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
This guy has always rubbed me the wrong way. He would not help this team. The Knicks really have become respectable without him, including winning on the road in Atlanta.

Here is something that tells you all you need to know about the guy:

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2009, 07:37:45 PM »

Offline Tough Juice

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
If they just buy him out we HAVE to get him. See you later JR.

this won't happen, for the last time J.R. is a first rounder "HE HAS TWO GUARANTEED YEARS", he can't be bought out, or cut, or waive, he can be gone only via trade, if you want Nate Robinson, you need to cut Bill Walker, Lester Hudson, or Tony Allen or, Kevin Garnett if you want, but YOU CAN'T J.R., that's the league rules

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2009, 07:42:00 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
If they just buy him out we HAVE to get him. See you later JR.

this won't happen, for the last time J.R. is a first rounder "HE HAS TWO GUARANTEED YEARS", he can't be bought out, or cut, or waive, he can be gone only via trade, if you want Nate Robinson, you need to cut Bill Walker, Lester Hudson, or Tony Allen or, Kevin Garnett if you want, but YOU CAN'T J.R., that's the league rules

Of course he can be bought out, cut or waived (same thing).  It just means they still owe him the money for the rest of the year.

I don't see them eating his contract to sign Robinson though.

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2009, 08:11:48 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

Link.

I think D-Antoni is off his rocker if he thinks that his team is better off without Nate. His team is horrible either way, but Nate can be no worse than the insultingly awful Duhon. Maybe someone needs to be a jerk to his teammates as they are a bunch of pathetic losers. Who knows but Nate is no the problem in NY IMHO. How can a player than can create his offense and offense for others possibly make a team worse? Oh well he will help someone else that maybe has a chance..

well, i agree the knicks are a terrible team, with or without robinson.

but given the numbers above, i can see why folks think the team is better without him.

and by the way, robinson was considered a jerk at UW as well. just not a very nice human being. if he would decide to change his brain and be a good team mate, then i would be delighted for the celtics to pick him up.

but how likely is that?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2009, 08:18:34 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

Link.

but given the numbers above, i can see why folks think the team is better without him.

and by the way, robinson was considered a jerk at UW as well. just not a very nice human being. if he would decide to change his brain and be a good team mate, then i would be delighted for the celtics to pick him up.

but how likely is that?

Yeah I don't know if i necessarily want him but i think this whole "the Knicks are better without him" thing is complete garbage. Going from the worst team in the league to second worst doesn't really show anything. If the Knicks were to go on and make the playoffs maybe it would make a little sense but just cause they won a couple games without him doesn't mean anything. They are absolutely terrible with or without Nate Robinson

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2009, 08:19:33 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
We're not that desperate. 2nd best record in the league

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2009, 03:47:30 AM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
Well well, I guess Nate Robinson has done well to redeem himself after losing to former Celtic Gerald Green in the '07 dunk contest, however even that isn't enough to ensure his success in New York.

If LeBron James enters the dunk contest this season Nate Robinson might be in a world of trouble considering the fact that LeBron would then have the upperhand against Nate Robinson in virtually every aspect of the game, considering the fact that LBJ was originally a point guard when he first came into the league.

For now as a Celtic fan I can only watch clips from that years dunk contest with a sense of lingering nostalgia, knowing that the rest of Boston's bench isn't particularly noted for their dunking ability (see Scal).

Paul Pierce has even stated that he feels that the rim in the NBA should be raised by 3 inches so that the game would be more dependent on shooting rather than dunking, so at this point it is clear that being a great dunker doesn't immediately translate into being a great player.

Ray Allen scored 51 points in game 6 vs the Chicago Bulls last season without even touching the rim, while the Celtics currently have the highest field goal percentage in the league, and I can assure you that these two players aren't busy throwing it down vintage 'Vince Carter-style' every other possession, though both still dunk on occasion. Paul has had some pretty nasty ones recently, meanwhile KG's midrange jumper (at 6'11") continues to improve (hopes that other teams don't start catching onto how good Kevin is at making that shot).
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 03:52:59 AM by Witch-King »
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2009, 07:27:17 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/63576/20091222/knicks_will_consider_buying_out_nate/

I wonder if the C's would be Nate's # 1 choice if he were to be bought out ?

I think the And1 team might call first.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2009, 09:41:03 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Now this is what i didn't want to happen for him to get bought out. I would have been fine with trading someone or something for him, but now I think chances of him coming to Boston are slim to none. We could have maybe got rid of Eddie in a deal with the Knicks and that would have been fine, but now i don't see us Waving him or Buying him out. The reason i feel that we don't have shot to get him now is noticing that we would end up getting killed on Defense with those two in the game. I mean i would hate to see Eddie go but Nate brings more to the table if we were to sign him, but Eddie is to Valuable to leave on the Bench. You get what i am saying.

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2009, 10:23:31 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Link.

but how likely is that?

Yeah I don't know if i necessarily want him but i think this whole "the Knicks are better without him" thing is complete garbage. Going from the worst team in the league to second worst doesn't really show anything. If the Knicks were to go on and make the playoffs maybe it would make a little sense but just cause they won a couple games without him doesn't mean anything. They are absolutely terrible with or without Nate Robinson

He's just a scapegoat for a the problems of a terrible team with no first round draft pick. Dantoni benched Nate because he needed to deflect attention form their terrible play. As soon as they start stinking up the joint again no one will remember the Robinson saga...

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2009, 10:30:52 AM »

Offline houlana

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 21
i don't want nate. not because he is a punk or because of his play.

i dont feel we need a backup PG. Rondo can play long minutes because he is young. and i don't mind Quis running the offense while eddie plays SG.

i want the celtics to go after a backup SF, it is PP that needs to save his energy for the playoffs and not Rondo