Author Topic: Movies that looked awful...but turned out to be surprisingly good.  (Read 17926 times)

Re: Movies that looked awful...but turned out to be surprisingly good.
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2008, 09:46:32 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Superbad

See I thought the opposite with SuperBad. I had heard great things about it. I thought the dialouge between the three teens was hilarious, but then 30-40 minutes in those two bungling cops show up and ruin the whole movie for me. Seriously, those Cops are the most hackneyed out of place characers I've seen in a movie with a good rep in a long time. Am I missing something with those two? I didn't understand why they were that over the top compared to everyone else.

It had it's moments, though.

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2008, 11:23:52 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Superbad

See I thought the opposite with SuperBad. I had heard great things about it. I thought the dialouge between the three teens was hilarious, but then 30-40 minutes in those two bungling cops show up and ruin the whole movie for me. Seriously, those Cops are the most hackneyed out of place characers I've seen in a movie with a good rep in a long time. Am I missing something with those two? I didn't understand why they were that over the top compared to everyone else.

It had it's moments, though.

I thought the movie was overrated. Didn't like it at all. Everybody was saying how it was the funniest movie of the year, but I didn't laugh at all throughout the whole movie. Maybe I don't have a sense of humor, I don't know. But I thought the movie sucked.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2008, 11:29:59 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I'd put Kingpin in the category of a movie that I had zero hopes of it being anything but horrible, but ended up making me laugh a lot.  Bill Murray as Big Ern was awesome.  Very silly movie.
Yup

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2008, 11:44:55 PM »

Offline ThreadCrasher

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
Idle Hands

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2008, 12:23:35 AM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
The Wackness
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2008, 06:49:35 AM »

Offline Badfish35

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 6
Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?

Blade

Six Degrees of Separation

Those are 3 perfect examples of movies I thought would be horrible but ended up liking a lot!

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2008, 06:52:24 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?

Great call. Sounds awful and the commercial was terrible. The film, on the other hand, was brilliant.

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2008, 09:21:40 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
I was skeptical about freedom to fascism until i saw it. You can watch it for free on Google which is cool.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2008, 09:28:28 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
How about Movies that looked incredible but weren't that good?

For me: I Am Legend

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2008, 09:33:05 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
ATL - started watching it on HBO waiting for it to get bad, and it never did, not the movie I expected.

« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2008, 09:34:36 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
I'd put Kingpin in the category of a movie that I had zero hopes of it being anything but horrible, but ended up making me laugh a lot.  Bill Murray as Big Ern was awesome.  Very silly movie.

Yeah.  Rumor has it that none of his lines/actions were scripted there (just like Caddyshack, except for the whole Lama speech).  Big Ern is one of my favorite characters of all time.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2008, 12:45:09 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

Yeah.  Rumor has it that none of his lines/actions were scripted there (just like Caddyshack, except for the whole Lama speech).  Big Ern is one of my favorite characters of all time.

I'm a big fan of non scripted Shows/Movies. Reno911 is a good example of this.

« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2008, 02:03:34 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 572
Stranger than Fiction. Mostly because I don't really like Will Farrell movies.

« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2008, 02:42:25 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
ATL - started watching it on HBO waiting for it to get bad, and it never did, not the movie I expected.

TP. Agree here 100%. I kept waiting for it to turn into a minstrel show and play up every bad black stereotype there is but I was wrong. At its heart was a good story with good believable characters. Evan Ross was great T.I. was a revelation in the lead. I remember this came out on the heels of Get Rich or Die Trying and he blew 50's doors off with his acting skill. Come to my susprise ATL was written by Antwone Fisher; the same Antwone Fisher who wrote the story of his own life in the movie of the same name directed by and starring Denzel Washington.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2008, 02:52:50 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Wanted - it looked awful. Then I watched it and was torn between "this is ridiculous" and "this is a fun movie". I decided on this is a fun movie.

If i haden't read the novel before hand i'd agree. i wish they had just named it somethign else, since it has zero to do witht he graphic novel of the same name outside of the "your dad was a super assasian, and so are you!" plot. that could really have been done without ruining the graphic novel.

I nominate

Saharah- the book is awesome, saw the trailer and was like "awesome, my one chance to see a decent clive cussler book tunred movie and the mess it up" but it turned out to be realy fun.

shooter- I heard this movie was absolute trash, and while i wouldn't put it in my top movies, it was pretty good.

the replacments- say what you want, this was a fun sports movie which i thought was going to be terrable from the trailers.

the rundown- again, saw trailers and was like "stiffler and the rock? wow thats going to be terrable" but its one of the better pop corn action flicks ive seen latley.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion